Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Epson Printer going in bin!

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2006, 07:02 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Epson Printer going in bin!

After many problems with the printer heads on my Epson 830, it has finally won! I give in!

Anyway..... after a search it seems that it might be an idea to try a Canon. Any suggestions as to which one. I would like one that prints A4 as well as 6x4.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks!
Old 06 May 2006, 10:59 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Canon IP series - 8500 is the best, but 3000 onwards does auto duplex and has twin trays and prints on CD/DVD media
Old 07 May 2006, 01:10 AM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

I bought an Epson printer several years ago.

Absolutely fantastic printer. I pressed the print button and it produced excellent prints that just looked like the picture on the screen. I've even got a couple of A4 pics in frames around the house. Cost me about £60 for the printer.

It eventually packed in which was a shame so I bought another Epson. For some reason the next printer wasn't as good as the first but I put up with it.

The last printer I bought I still have. An Epson.

It is absolutely without a doubt the last Epson product I shall ever buy.

Cost twice as much for appalling picture quality with ink costing three or four times as much for prints which are quite honestly laughable.

I am ashamed to say I recommended an Epson printer to a friend and he had a similar experience.

What went wrong? My first printer was brilliant.

Epson..errr.. No Way!!!
Old 07 May 2006, 08:10 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by lightning101
Canon IP series - 8500 is the best, but 3000 onwards does auto duplex and has twin trays and prints on CD/DVD media
Thanks. I am looking at a budget of £100. Does the IP5200 sound reasonable at £80? The 6210D is cheaper....?

It looks like the 5200 has a higher resolution...

Cheers!
Old 07 May 2006, 09:33 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The 5 series uses 5 inks (2 blacks) - the 6 series has full 6 colour photo seperation - i'd go for the six. The resolution is actually a smaller micropiezo head that does 1 picoliter drops instead of 2. The 8500 has a red and green as well.

They will all be better to use than the epsons, especially using compatible cartridges, none of the print head cleaning that the epsons need after one set of compatibles. The canon also has a better cd printing system
Old 07 May 2006, 09:40 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Wink

The 5 series uses 5 inks (2 blacks) - the 6 series has full 6 colour photo seperation - i'd go for the six. The resolution is actually a smaller micropiezo head that does 1 picoliter drops instead of 2. The 8500 has a red and green as well.

They will all be better to use than the epsons, especially using compatible cartridges, none of the print head cleaning that the epsons need after one set of compatibles. The canon also has a better cd printing system
Thanks again!

So will the quality of the lower resolution 6210d be better than the higher resolution 5200?

After best quality photo's really.

Cheers!
Old 07 May 2006, 11:29 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The six inks will give near full tonal colour range. Black, cyan, Photocyan, magenta, photo magenta and a yellow - so no grain.

With the other one you get Big black, small black, cyan, magenta, yellow. So all tones have to be mixed from the four base colours, leaving a grainier image.

Go for the 6020D, you can also print your photos directly from compatible digital cameras and memory cards and 60 second photo prints.
Old 09 May 2006, 09:14 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

The six inks will give near full tonal colour range. Black, cyan, Photocyan, magenta, photo magenta and a yellow - so no grain.

With the other one you get Big black, small black, cyan, magenta, yellow. So all tones have to be mixed from the four base colours, leaving a grainier image.

Go for the 6020D, you can also print your photos directly from compatible digital cameras and memory cards and 60 second photo prints.
Super, thanks!
Old 09 May 2006, 10:32 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

My Epson went in the bin a long time ago. Was spending more money on ink for cleaning the heads than actually printing.

Bought a Canon and never looked back. On my 2nd Canon now (brother still using old one). I got the iP5200.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10 May 2006, 01:21 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I'e been through 2 Epsons and whilst the print quality was good they suffered fronm blocked porint heads and watsed load of ink.

Canon and Lexmark are top for ink useage and Canon are up then on picutre quality so thats the way to go.

That said I;ve not got a Style R220 and its superb but it uses load of ink and smudges a tiny bit now and again but the output is superb and it prints straight onto CDs to !

AllanB