Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Updating iTunes

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2006, 08:08 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Updating iTunes

Do you just run the installer and it updates your software or are you supposed to remove the old installation first?

Cheers,

Darren
Old 13 September 2006, 08:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It installs itself, leave it to it. no need to uninstall old versions.
Old 13 September 2006, 08:44 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

as above.

Im liking the new version, very impressed with the way it updates the album covers(wish i hadnt spent as long as i did compiling them myself now ), also a very nice feel to it over the previous version.

Pretty annoyed that we cant buy films though, why is it only available to USA ? anyone know when this might be available to us ?
Old 13 September 2006, 12:00 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Next year for films for us. There's probably a way to get the films of the US site though - I DL's the new iTunes from the US site as the UK site hadn't been updated (not enough patience!)

You'll soon realise the album covers aren't as great as you first thought - must be compiled by the same slap-dash bunch that keeps updating Gracenote - a lot of the pics are a squew-wiff and the sizes are a bit random. I'm sticking with google images and photoshop for mine.
Old 13 September 2006, 12:28 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Old 13 September 2006, 01:54 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

yep, ive just read in the paper that they are to start this for the UK next year. also reading about the new 80gb pod which will transmit downloaded films/tv series to your Tv via wireless !

The only way i can see to get the films from the US site is to have a US credit card with US address. Tried creating US accounts with my Visa card and it wont allow it with out the cardholder address.

It seems we'll have to wait then.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:41 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

The install worked cleanly for me (unlike in the past ). G4 Powebook, OS 10.4.

New design looks nice.

I have a question though. I tried to download some of the Ricky Gervais video podcasts from iTunes. I subscribed and they appeared in the Poscast list in iTunes, greyed out and with the "get" button. I clicked the "get" button and the little orange circle was spinning round but the podcasts weren't downloaded. What am I doing wrong?

I don't have a video iPod but that shouldn't matter, right? I can just play the videos in iTunes on the Mac.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 14 September 2006, 01:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack,
You should be able to just play them in iTunes. Can you tell me exactly what the name of the podcast(s) were that you could not download, I'll give it a shot and see if I get the same thing.
Old 14 September 2006, 01:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm downloadin all the podcasts within the "The Ricky Gervais Podcast" category and so far I've got 8 of them. In my Podcasts screen I expand the main entry and for some of the entries I am seeing the little orange spinner, as it's downloading those items, if I pop to the downloads section of iTS I can see it is correctly downloading those podcasts.

I'bve tried playing one of the podcasts and the video does indeed show (in the little artwork window)
Old 14 September 2006, 05:09 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus. Did exactly what you've done and saw the orange spinner. Downloads section indicated that something is being downloaded but then the spinner stops and there's nothing there ...
Old 14 September 2006, 06:58 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yeah I love the album cover stuff but am surprised how many album covers are missing. SOme real mainstream ones there whilst loads of the wierd stuff I listen to like Velvet Acid Christ, Suicide Commando, Switchblade Symphony and others were !

How does this get updated ?

AllanB
Old 14 September 2006, 07:05 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Suprized me the amount of mainstreem stuff missing from teh covers, also the number of incorrect covers it puts in when it does find ones.

Prefer the old lay out though.
Old 14 September 2006, 07:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing that the dialog you sumbit when you go looking for artwork is building Apple a nice list of albums which can be cross-referenced in regards as to what they do and don't have.

Quite where they are getting the album artwork from I don't know, perhaps they'll submit the info they have to the music companies and ask for it?
Old 15 September 2006, 01:09 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

quick note...
if, like me, you decided to tidy up your apps folder and have moved itunes, then updating it creates a new one and you have to chuck the old one, as it cant find it in its default location...whoops

if not all fine,icon turns from green to blue and all fine and dandy