Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any BT engineers on hear?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 01:34 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any BT engineers on hear?

Anyone know why a telephone extension would stop my broadband connection as soon as I plug the extension in I loose my broadband even though its plugged in thru a filter….

Also dose anyone know how much BT charge to move a master scocket?
Old 14 September 2006, 01:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

What happens if you unplug the broadband connection and then plug in the extension? (I presume you mean by this your plugging a telephone into another extension socket somewhere else in the house? ) Does the phone work? If so what happens when you plug Broadband back in?
Old 14 September 2006, 02:13 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

the extention is pluged into the master socket ,with nothing but the just the broadband and its filter in the broadband works ok as soon as the extention is pluged in it stops working ,the telephone thats pluged into the extention works ok
Old 14 September 2006, 03:52 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

make sure you don't have 2 micro filters on the same line
andy
Old 14 September 2006, 06:07 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

i have put a filter on the master socket and one on the extention
Old 14 September 2006, 09:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

remove the master socket one and you should be fine. With it being on the master socket and the extensdion being pluggged into that, you effectively have no adsl signal!!
Old 14 September 2006, 10:21 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no end of trouble last year with losing my BB connection.
It was tracked down to poor cable work on the extension tel. sockets with cables not sitting properly into the "V" grooves.
I had to go around the whole house and make sure that all cables were seated properly.

Nick
Old 15 September 2006, 04:31 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

You don`t happen to have something else attached to the extension like a burgler alarm. This happened to me took me ages to find out what it was. I only trakced it down when I took the extension of the wall and saw the other set of wires coming of it. I then disconnected them and no problems ever since.

Jase
Old 15 September 2006, 05:20 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Or an old fax machine. BB hates 'em.
Old 15 September 2006, 05:30 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

so are any of you BT engineers as i also have a problems that i would like some advice on regarding BT lines and adsl!

if there is anybody that can offer advice please pm or email me off board @ ukmr2@hotmail.com

Thanks

Darren
Old 15 September 2006, 07:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes i work for BT
How many extensions do you have?
Is the extension from the main socket or a different socket?

Ive got to be quick cos ive been dragged off out....

Quick checks
Each line needs a filter.
If your running an extension from your socket (same socket but with a splitter say) then you should have the filter in first and connect the extension to that.
Also it can be down to the extension lead being too long that can cause you problems.

one more q, is this a proper extension or a lead?

Tony
Old 17 September 2006, 11:42 AM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

me to and to add to tony,s reply are you a long way from your exch you may be working on the limit of b/b coverage for your service ie 1/2 1 or 2 meg and the extn may push it over
Old 17 September 2006, 11:49 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

right glad there are some bt ppl i can talk to direct!..

the story...

mate builds himself a house...

house is off of street say 100m (bought plot and built house all on its lonesome).

BT install line to house all is good phones working fine.

he decides he wants bb so takes out a TALK TALK package which includes adsl bb

gets modem and activation software and we are good to go.

plugs it all in and no constant adsl light on modem (has all other phones unplugged and his filter is plugged into the master socket).

calls TT and they say install software and all will be fine.

no matter what cant get a connection to the network and the light just flashes constantly..

so what can he do.. TT refuse to send a engineer as they say its his computer thats at fault (tried it wih my 1 month old top spec laptop with same results!)...

so he cant get a constant light on the modem. he is the only person being fed from the local pole and its a fair run of coax and it looks rather thin!..

any help appreciated!

Darren
Old 17 September 2006, 12:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_me
right glad there are some bt ppl i can talk to direct!..

the story...

mate builds himself a house...

house is off of street say 100m (bought plot and built house all on its lonesome).

BT install line to house all is good phones working fine.

he decides he wants bb so takes out a TALK TALK package which includes adsl bb

gets modem and activation software and we are good to go.

plugs it all in and no constant adsl light on modem (has all other phones unplugged and his filter is plugged into the master socket).

calls TT and they say install software and all will be fine.

no matter what cant get a connection to the network and the light just flashes constantly..

so what can he do.. TT refuse to send a engineer as they say its his computer thats at fault (tried it wih my 1 month old top spec laptop with same results!)...

so he cant get a constant light on the modem. he is the only person being fed from the local pole and its a fair run of coax and it looks rather thin!..

any help appreciated!

Darren
sky bb by the look of it or microwave connection....

moral of the tale, get bt t do the donky work, then jump to TT

mart
Old 17 September 2006, 12:18 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

no its on a cable coming in from a pole on the street.. a new pole was installed JUST FOR HIM! and then the link to his house....

the cable looks very thin..

BT wont do it as they say he has to go thru TT but TT wont send a engineer!!!

HELP!
Old 17 September 2006, 12:42 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_me
BT wont do it as they say he has to go thru TT but TT wont send a engineer!!!
I would think that since TT depends on a BT line, then you have every right to get BT to confirm that the line is working OK, and not just to the extent that telephones are working, also to the extent that the link is good enough for data. Would suggest pushing BT to confirm there is a decent signal. Unfortunately you will need to push to get to the right person before something is done, sadly this is an indictment of our current times and not just restricted to BT, but to all service providers it seems (I have had issues with BT to the point I no longer have a BT line and that is with my old man serving 30+ years for them!) NTL have to be the worst though, service-wise, although SKY seem to be pushing them hard for 1st place

Good luck!
Old 17 September 2006, 12:47 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

problem is that when he built the house and had to have the alleyway pulled up to have his service run to his house (cost a fortune as he put his house where there were NO services!!)...

BUT didnt get NTL to lay there cables in there at the same time.....

NTL wont run a line to his house as it would cost a fortune!!..

he is at the point now where he is considdering cancelling all his landline service/bb and just useing his mobile and a wireless data cannection on his laptop (T-Mobile) as the signal is 100% all over his house!...

but he just wanted to make 1 last ditch attempt to get the lanline service HE PAID to have installed (as it was a distance from his house even the BT line cost shedloads to have put in!)

Thanks for the replys

Darren
Old 17 September 2006, 01:05 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Hi
If he paid for it to be put in, and BT have agreed that he is close enough to the exchange to get data, then would NOT give up... Mobile data, unless it's 3G is just no match for a proper BB connection!

It's like having a scoob, paying shedloads to get it modded up and then leaving in the garage and NEVER driving it, and never looking at it!
Old 17 September 2006, 01:17 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

well BT wont even discuss it with him just refer him on to TT...

when he calls TT they say they are showing no faults with his account (even tho its a hardware problem he was reporting) they say they have done a line test and everything is ok.

BUT IT DONT WORK!

and refuse to send a engineer out (He even offered to PAY! for the engineer) and they still said no!

Darren
Old 17 September 2006, 01:29 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Sorry Scooby Me, but in this world you get what you pay for. Considering he's with Talk Talk (a division of Carphoney Warehouse) then I'd say this was his problem. Get on a provider that actually give a damn about their service, then when its all working change to a cheapo service.

If he's stuck with a contract on them, pay to get another line put in through BT (which can go down the same physical wire that you have already), pay for BT broadband (if you can cancel them with a months notice) who will fix the line if there is a problem which will fix the problems with TT as it all comes down the same piece of wire.

What tests have TT run on the line? Have they done a woosh test to see that there's not a stupid load of (inaudible) noise on your line stopping the "digital pickup" of your adsl? What is the line length? What is the line loss? What is the capacitance on the line? What is the loop attenuation? Tell TT to pull their finger out and stop blaming your hardware. If they provide it and haven't done so already, tell TT to ship you another modem to make sure its not that. The PC should have nothing to do with "line pickup" on adsl. Whats the make/model of the modem?

I'm with zen, have been for years as have my parents and my brother. My parents had a problem with water getting into a box between us and the exchange which would cut out the connection when there was a downpour. I went through the checklist of things with zen and they knew from this that it wasn't a user error/hardware config problem at my end (If you don't/cant go through all this with zen, they make you agree to pay the costs of the BT engineer if they do find out its your problem and not theirs). They put a ticket out to BT who sent out an engineer, and the problem was solved. What is TT saying that is the problem with your computer, because saying that there is a problem and not working with you to fix it is just not on imho, that's just a fob off. Considering you have tested another PC on it, I would start demanding all the info I have listed above and see where you get.

Good luck,

Jules
Old 17 September 2006, 01:38 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Going to call them today...

wow thats a impressive list of tech talk i can throw at them!

Darren

do you think it would be easier to just do what you said and have a 2nd line with BT and get them to provide the BT BB and then they would have to sort it directly?
Old 17 September 2006, 01:46 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd save the BT thing for a last resort. It'll take a while to go through the motions of that so you might as well test the water with TT first. Just make sure you dont get stuck in a contract you dont want in the long run, as I dont go elsewhere for my BB I dont really know what other contracts are like. If BT dont allow for 1 month contracts then go here: http://www.zenadsl.co.uk/athome.aspx?page=453 as I know zen know what they're doing.

Jules
Old 17 September 2006, 01:49 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help
Old 17 September 2006, 01:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phew!
Right, this looks like TT's problem.
BT wont touch it because:-

1. its no longer their service.
2. LLU (Local Line Unbundling)
3. TT's equipment not BT's.

There are a couple of things he can try, chances are that he hasnt been put though to the DSL equipment (sounds like it).
See if he can connect without a filter on a normal v92 modem (should prove he's not connected to the DSL equipment).
Find out how far he is from the exchange (TT should know).
Try a different modem.
Basically the line distance from the exchange includes the distance between the pole and the house, and as its new cable it should be 100% ok.

Tony
Old 17 September 2006, 03:44 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if the broadband works without the extension plugged in then you know where the problem lies. It is either with the extension wiring, or the phone used on the extension wiring (think dec phones can cause problems)
do a uk yahoo search for adsl nation, maybe you could remove the ring wire which could improve things.
If you run your bb signal from the master socket then buy a filtered faceplate from adslnation and this should sort the problem. If none of the above makes sense then I apologise as I am pi$$ed whilst watching the football!
Old 18 September 2006, 06:19 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

if main socket as the two screws ofset down and a line across and you should have on a new installation then you are allowed to undo and pull off this plate this is the extn plate if you have hard wired extns this will diss them off there is another socket looking at you on right plug into this if this works and you do have hard wired extns there should be an orange wire on no.3 pull it off refix front plate and see if this helps good luck steve ps this is the bell wire but if your filters are the hanging type dont worry as these have there own ringing circuit

Last edited by shooter007; 18 September 2006 at 06:22 PM.