Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

xbox 360 chipping/flashing????

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2006, 10:29 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question xbox 360 chipping/flashing????

I'm gonna get a Xbox 360 but before I do can the xbox 360 be chipped or flashed to play backup games like the xbox?

If it can me chipped or flashed would I be able to play online games as the old xbox did not allow this.

Would it be a chip or a flash?

what chip do you recommend?

Ray

Last edited by Ray_li; 19 September 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:26 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Thankfully no. The protection schemes in place inside the 360 are much more secure than the old xbox, and it's unlikely that they'll be broken any time soon.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pay for the games, they are generally worth it.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:49 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

what's the deal with region free games like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Xbox360-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem

are there really original region free games?
Old 20 September 2006, 12:56 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ray there is a guy local to me that charges £40 to chip the xbox 360 and it will allow you to play back up games like the original xbox.

Banny
Old 20 September 2006, 07:33 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Thankfully no. The protection schemes in place inside the 360 are much more secure than the old xbox, and it's unlikely that they'll be broken any time soon.
All wrong mate I'm afraid .

The firmware on the DVD drive can be flashed with a modified version to allow "backups" to be read and subsequently played online.

Also there the firmware that is now available looks exactly the same as the original when checked by MS so as long as the backup you are playing has been stealth patched there is nothing to suggest you aren't using an original disc.

You shouldn't pay more than £35 for a firmware flash but your warranty will be invalid as a result.

Have a look here http://www.team-xecuter.com/
Old 20 September 2006, 09:08 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li

are there really original region free games?
Yup, but only some - It is basically at the discretion of the publisher whether to region lock. DOA4, Ridge Racer 6 were region free - Dead Rising wasn't. The same deal applied to Xbox, but very few games weren't region locked. You will probably find the same occurs with 360 - 99% of games with be locked, but there will be the odd one that isn't.
Old 20 September 2006, 09:24 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
The firmware on the DVD drive can be flashed with a modified version to allow "backups" to be read and subsequently played online.
Nobody guarantee's you wont get banned online, do it at your own risk.

Personally I think MS have done a great job in putting together a good package with the console and online content, there are plenty of offers available on games, I don't mind buying them as Jacko says they are worth it, and demos of most games are available to try before you buy.
Old 20 September 2006, 09:25 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
I'm gonna get a Xbox 360 but before I do can the xbox 360 be chipped or flashed to play backup games like the xbox?

If it can me chipped or flashed would I be able to play online games as the old xbox did not allow this.

Would it be a chip or a flash?

what chip do you recommend?

Ray
Out in about 10days...

http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/Fractal-360-p-250.html
Old 20 September 2006, 09:46 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

More Blaster360 Pics/Info, Stock Update for X3IR USB and X360 USB
>> From team-xecuter.com:

* Here are some more images of the Blaster360. Probably the most anticipated device to be released for the 360, we ar working hard to get this on the shelves as soon as possible. We will also answer some questions that are repeated a lot on the forums.
1. Once fitted the device allows you to switch your DVD to flashing mode and to be flashed externally without ever having to open up your Xbox360 cases again.
2. It has a seperate molex power connector. This is for electrical safety and security. It resolves any short or grounding issues and keeps the Xbox360 PSU and any external flashing procedure seperate.
3. It has a switch to switch between normal 360 read operation and PC flashing operation.
4. Modeb is built in for hitachi drives.
5. You can connect direct to SATA or use the X360USB
6. There is no cutting of any of the outer case whatsoever - it is a clean install with no visible damage.
7. We have included a switch to disable the LED glow or to disable the LED alltogether (for those that don't like LED's)
8. We have optimized the design so it fits flush to the case and so you can also remove the hard drive with ease.
9. There is no release date or price as of yet, we will keep the price as low as possible. When we know, you will know. Asking that question over and over again on the forums is redundant.

More Pictures: pic04 | pic05

* Console Synergy now has the X3IR USB in stock @ $31.99 (5+ $29.99)
Divineo & MrModchips X360USB stock should be arriving at their stores this week.
Official Site: http://www.team-xecuter.com
Discuss this news item on our forums: forums.xbox-scene.com
(Tuesday 19 September 2006 13:43 EST) - (direct link to article)
Old 20 September 2006, 10:17 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Nobody guarantee's you wont get banned online, do it at your own risk.
Very true.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:23 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
All wrong mate I'm afraid .
No need to be rude. Last time I looked, they weren't even close to getting it working.

This is very bad news for the software industry (again).

All it'll mean is the smaller companies won't be able to afford to create games (because of the piracy), and the larger companies (EA etc) will just start shoving out even more clones. Unfortunately, piracy is killing innovation. I just hope that it can be detected online so all these people get banned from live.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:53 AM
matdex
Scooby Newbie

No need to be rude. Last time I looked, they weren't even close to getting it working.

This is very bad news for the software industry (again).

All it'll mean is the smaller companies won't be able to afford to create games (because of the piracy), and the larger companies (EA etc) will just start shoving out even more clones. Unfortunately, piracy is killing innovation. I just hope that it can be detected online so all these people get banned from live.

I'll try not to be as rude as the last chap but people have been doing this for months. If the games were a reasonable or regimented price then people would think twice about buying originals.

'Piracy is killing innovation' I suppose by buying so called backup games you then fund organised crime and child prostitution all over the world??

Games piracy happened on the original xbox yet games developers are still choosing to work on xbox 360 games?? If it is hampering their sales and innovation why bother?

Nice little 1st post - Hi everyone
Old 20 September 2006, 11:01 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matdex
I'll try not to be as rude as the last chap but people have been doing this for months. If the games were a reasonable or regimented price then people would think twice about buying originals.
Well, Obvilion cost me £40 from gameplay, and took me 95 hours to complete. That works out at about 42p an hour. Doesn't sound like an unreasonable price to me. Show me where you can buy a dvd, or go to the cinema, (or do anything else similar) for that sort of money.

'Piracy is killing innovation' I suppose by buying so called backup games you then fund organised crime and child prostitution all over the world??
That's a bit extreme. But you are funding scum making money out of other peoples hard work. It's criminal, and it's morally wrong. You might be ok with that, but I'm certainly not.

Games piracy happened on the original xbox yet games developers are still choosing to work on xbox 360 games?? If it is hampering their sales and innovation why bother?
The 360 is a different system that was supposed to be a lot more secure, so of course people will develop for it. Besides, they still need to make money. Even now the rot is setting in though. PES, Fifa, Amped, PGR, RR6 etc, are all just cheap sequels to the previous versions on the older consoles, and show very little in the way of innovation (just better graphics).

The xbox and the ps2 had innovative games at the beginning of their life cycle, but as piracy has become more rampant, these have dwindled and the games coming out for the platforms these days are basically just cheap copies, (I've not found anything to interest me on the ps2 for over a year now).

Of course, piracy won't be the only reason for this, but it is a contributing factor.

Nice little 1st post - Hi everyone
Hello
Old 20 September 2006, 11:05 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

I apologise if you have taken offence to my post. Maybe however it would have been worth you checking your facts before posting perhaps
Old 20 September 2006, 11:09 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I did a quick web browse before posting, and the links I found still suggested that it wasn't even close. I didn;t have time to go digging even deeper (I'm supposed to be working )
Old 20 September 2006, 11:15 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I did a quick web browse before posting, and the links I found still suggested that it wasn't even close. I didn;t have time to go digging even deeper (I'm supposed to be working )
Xbox scene would be the place to keep up to date with the 360 goings on.
Old 20 September 2006, 11:19 AM
matdex
Scooby Newbie

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+backups&meta=

the first selection is for xbox-scene
Old 20 September 2006, 11:24 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Those pictures are actually rendered and not final product btw

Oh and there's some platinum cheapo titles coming to 360 in October.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:53 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Fairplay, if people want to hack the 360 to play (lets be honest) copied games but I really do hope that MS will find a way of detecting it so that people can't play copied games online.
Old 20 September 2006, 02:02 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Fairplay, if people want to hack the 360 to play (lets be honest) copied games but I really do hope that MS will find a way of detecting it so that people can't play copied games online.
They probably will find a way but then so will the hackers.
Old 20 September 2006, 03:06 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I wont be getting mine flashed / chipped / whatever - the machine isnt relaible enough so the next time it packs up MS will just give me the big F off and I'll have to buy a new one...
Old 20 September 2006, 03:12 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Very true. I've just sent my 3rd one back, and am waiting for them to send me a replacement. Maybe it'll be 4th time lucky...
Old 20 September 2006, 04:36 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Very true. I've just sent my 3rd one back, and am waiting for them to send me a replacement. Maybe it'll be 4th time lucky...
I bought a backup 360. So when one goes pop (which just has) i still have another one to use. Just hope they dont both go pop together
Old 20 September 2006, 04:41 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm still on my 1st! brought in the month of release.

*touch wood*
Old 20 September 2006, 05:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Its a sorry state when you have to buy 2 consoles just to be sure you have one that works when you want to game, and then to worry about them both breaking down together.

And judging by the amount of bad press the PS3 receives this situation is preferable to waiting until they iron the problems out.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:15 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Its a sorry state when you have to buy 2 consoles just to be sure you have one that works when you want to game, and then to worry about them both breaking down together.

And judging by the amount of bad press the PS3 receives this situation is preferable to waiting until they iron the problems out.
Ive heard rumors the next batch of 360's will use different processors that dont't run as hot so it cuts down the amount that die due to hardware faliure problems. Not sure how true it is mind.
PS3 has been slated already before its even released, imagine if that gets all these hardware faliures xbox' have had which is possible.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:16 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I'm still on my 1st! brought in the month of release.

*touch wood*
Snap! Although mine only gets used a few hours a month...
Old 20 September 2006, 05:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I got mine on the day of release last year, and probably use it an hour or two most evenings. First one went wrong after about 5-6 months, and the other two have only lasted a couple of months each.

Can't see that it's overheating as it is on top of the tv unit, is well ventillated, and has a good 1-2 feet clearance all around. It's a great machine, but I'm not impressed with the reliability.

At least I didn't have to send the hard disc back this time, so I haven't lost all my save game data again...
Old 20 September 2006, 05:44 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

That's a bummer to hear Iain I'm evaluating the robustness of these machines based on which version you are on

I think the industry is in a sad state of affairs ideas-wise. Most games these days are just rehashes of older games with little originality. There are odd gems around though which break the monotony.

This certainly looks interesting and something I'd be prepared to shell out hard cash for

Quick Reply: xbox 360 chipping/flashing????