Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

accessing the internet on a sony P990

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 03:03 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accessing the internet on a sony P990

is the internet button on the side of the phopne the only way to access the web browser on this phone? there is no icon on my phone for the internet. am i missing summat?
Old 20 September 2006, 10:07 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Sorry I cannot help you re:Internet button on the P990 but on the P900 you could assign side buttons to certain App's so I am pretty sure that is how you would do it.

Anyways can you give me an insight into how you are finding the P990 i.e. usability, battery life, WiFi, and reception ?

Any annoyances ?

as you can probably tell I am looking at getting one but some reviews have been a little mixed to say the least.

R
Old 21 September 2006, 08:43 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Rich,

I have to say in some instances i am a little disappointed. the roller button no longer flicks up or down. the lock keypad now has a button on the side that is spring loaded and slides down.

I would also have to say that i find the new symbian OS a bit flaky at times. Phone will stall for no reason and the only resolution is romoval of the battery. the newness of the phone (i was probably one of the first to have one in the uk (it arrived with me on 8 september) meant that none of the sony sites had setup functions for MMS, GPRS and GPRS WAP. the uk sony site still does not, however the SE global site now has setup options for the 990.

SE seem to have taken on board comments by 900 and 910 users with a number of innovative enhancements to the phone. Biggest for me is the WiFi access. Easy to setup and browsing is a breeze. you can view webpages in landscape mode.

the camera and video are a vast improvement. pictures at 1600x1200 are sharp and detailed, video with sound at 30FPS is smooth and flicker free. the camera also has a light on the back of the phone for flash.

calendar, contacts and office applications are much the same as the 910. Media player is much better allowing management of your music in a much more logical coherent way. FM radio is included but be warned i bought the sony bluetooth stereo headphones and they do NOT work with the radio requiring the plugin headphones as they have an antenna attached in the plug end that goes into the phone. music via bluetooth is cool, the little unit looks like a small mp3 player.

I have found battery life to be ok, much the same as the 910. bluetooth has a standyby mode that doent drain the battery by always being on.

I was surprised by the qwerty keyboard. it is genuinely useful even for chunky fingers like mine. haven't used the 3G video option yet as i dont have any friends with the option but again useful as you can swap forward and rear facing camera. Another useful function is a task manager allowing you to swap between applications, or even end them, similar to the XP task manager.
The VJ Singh golf game is superb. graphics look great and gameplay is fluid.

All in all i am really getting to like the phone even more so than my 910. the little touches more than make up for the flaky OS and minor little quirks.

Cheers

sinky
Old 21 September 2006, 08:53 AM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, I got bored waiting and bought a Treo 650 3 months ago but TBH the GSM reception is rubbish or certainly where I frequent.

Tree's kill it dead ! How do you find GSM reception with the P990 ?

It's not a bad phone, in fact far from it but some of the copy and paste stuff is just weird and NO search facility in contacts ! ! ! !

SE are bound to release a software upgrade at least once this year as per the P900/P910 which should take care of the really

I'll order mine later today if you think reception is as good as the P910.

thanks
Rich
Old 21 September 2006, 09:38 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
is the internet button on the side of the phopne the only way to access the web browser on this phone? there is no icon on my phone for the internet. am i missing summat?
Loads of ways to access the net. via the button as you say, through the today screen (Icon, 3blue blocks and one yellow one) then access your shortcuts (purple arrow at top of the screen). Through the main apps icon (3 blue ***** and one red one), multimedia, web.

you can also install Opera mini and access the web in FC mode.
Old 21 September 2006, 09:40 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

more info here.

https://www.scoobynet.com/any-update-sony-t523292.html

apss I'd deffo put on at the mo...

Swissknife (freeware) - can use it to flush tasks from the memory keeping it running freely.

Opera mini - access the web in FC mode. Again free.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

rich,

yes i am hoping that SE will release a firmware upgrade to sort out the glitches. i find my gsm reception (i assume thats the little blue triangle strength metre on top of the signal strength) to be allways full. i dont really use GPRS or GPRS WAP to any great extent so i cant really vouch for connectivity. i would say that it is as good or better than the 910. hope this helps you.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:53 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that !

It has been ordered and should be here tomorrow.

rich
Old 21 September 2006, 02:04 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Blue triangle just means GPRS is attached.
Old 21 September 2006, 02:34 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

how do you turn off the 3G? i want to get a little more out of my bettery.
Old 21 September 2006, 02:51 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
how do you turn off the 3G? i want to get a little more out of my bettery.
tools>control panel>connections>mobile networks

From the dropdown at the top select GSM/3G networks>tick 'GSM only'

Old 22 September 2006, 01:45 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

cheers