Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop playing up after Windows Update

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 09:35 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laptop playing up after Windows Update

Got an automatic Windows update over the weekend and it seems to have fubared my computer. It may be unrelated but a colleague has had the same thing happen to him.

Apologies for the waffle but here goes . . . .
  • I still log on as Administrator witrh my password.
  • After that the startup jingle is different, my wallpaper has disappeared along with all but the most basic desktop/taskbar icons.
  • Click Outlook Express - Identity log in window opens telling me I have no current identity and to chose one from a blank list below.
  • Internet Explorer - homepage is now about:blank. If I click the history icon there is just History.IE5. All of my favourites etc. have gone too.
  • IE will take me to websites but is very sloooow getting there and I have to log in to all my regulars thatr would usually recognise me.
  • Word and Excel - opens a preparing to install window then asks for the CD ROM.
  • My Documents - empty
  • My computer - C:, documents and settings, administrator and voila, here is all my stuff.

I tried to open an mpeg and it tries to install WMP again. I click all the relevant options, then click finish and it takes me right back to the start of the installation process again . . . . . . . .

What's going on????
Old 21 September 2006, 10:31 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to try System Restore to get back to your previous settings.

But I notice you also have the about-blank home-page hijacker - try this software to remove the problem - it worked for me http://about-blank-removers.org/?gcl...FRtaXgodSjPtIg

Good luck

Pete
Old 21 September 2006, 12:26 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise Pete but I've got nowhere with it.

I've tried the website you've suggested but the download won't work and can't find how to do a system restore on my laptop - it's running Windows 2000 Professional. Found it easily on this computers Windows XP but that doesn't help.

Anyone?????????????
Old 21 September 2006, 12:31 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Just tried the download from this computer and it does work - it's just another thing playing up on mine.

FFS!!
Old 21 September 2006, 12:46 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See below might be related

Nick

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...15/456646.aspx

Hey everyone this is Adrian Stone and I wanted to let you know about a very limited issue that some Windows 2000 customers are experiencing after the installation of MS06-049. We just became aware of this issue due to customer reports earlier this week, and have been verifying the reports and understanding the root cause of the issue for the past two days.

If you have installed MS06-049 on an NTFS formatted drive and enabled NTFS compression on individual folders, there is the potential for data corruption. This issue can occur when the system that is using NTFS file system compression has compressed files that are larger than 4 kilobytes and the files are either updated or created. The result is that the data becomes corrupted and unreadable and appears corrupted when read back. In the short term you can disable NTFS compression and the data integrity will not be affected and your system will still remain protected from the vulnerability after having installed MS06-049.

Since MS06-049 addressed a security issue on Windows 2000 only, no other platforms are affected by the NTFS compression issue.