Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Updating from old G4 Mac..,

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 07:03 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Updating from old G4 Mac..,

My Mac must be at least 6 years old now a 400mhz G4 tower. Although it is ultra reliable I really need to update as I'm still running Mac OS 9 too - for old scsi scanners etc. Principally computer used for running photoshop as well as usual stuff. Do I stick with Mac or jump to a Windows PC for mass compatibility. PC's seem to run Photoshop equally well these days though I'm much more comfortable with the idea of a new Mac. I can't seem to find the old Mac magazines in the shops, Mac World and Mac User, are they still around?
Old 22 September 2006, 07:52 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I'd wait till next year (I am) before getting a new intel mac.

The new intels cannot run CS natively, and need Rossetta or such like to run it. Adobe have said they will doa universal version, but not till 1st 1/4 next year.

Thats teh reason I bought a G4 Powerbook, but as soon as they do the universal CS, I'll buy a Mac Pro.
Old 22 September 2006, 09:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Your G4 will run Tiger but it will be a bit slow unless you have at least 512k - ideally 1gb.

Perhaps look at a mini, Core 2 Duo soon (if not already) and only a few hundred, reuse your keyboard and mouse (and TFT if you have one)

There's nothing wrong with these Minis, just depends on how processor intensive your photoshopping is, I suspect most PS users don't even scratch the surface of it's features...
Old 22 September 2006, 09:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The other factor about the new intel macs is the ability to dual boot into Windows XP, so you can use OS X for the main part, but if you need/want to use XP, you can simply boot into XP.
Old 23 September 2006, 12:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mgcvk
My Mac must be at least 6 years old now a 400mhz G4 tower. Although it is ultra reliable I really need to update as I'm still running Mac OS 9 too - for old scsi scanners etc. Principally computer used for running photoshop as well as usual stuff. Do I stick with Mac or jump to a Windows PC for mass compatibility. PC's seem to run Photoshop equally well these days though I'm much more comfortable with the idea of a new Mac. I can't seem to find the old Mac magazines in the shops, Mac World and Mac User, are they still around?
Apple will release a new version of the MacPro next year in a different casing..but when is anybodys guess.

However in its current form, the MacPro as it stands will be perfect for you...
Whack in enough Ram and you are sorted.
As markus says, you can switch into XP if you need and in Leopard (next year), you will have the full version of Boot Camp.
SCSI wise..well if you want to stick with your scsi scanners, then the other option of what people suggested might be tricky, cos none of them (imac, mac mini etc) have expansion for scsi cards. so your only option is to get a scsi card that has native OSX drivers (ATTOTECH do them) and for scanning software get the inexpensive VueScan. Have a look on their website for compatibility on your current scanner.

As regards Photoshop CS and emulation under intel.
yes Simon C is correct, until Adobe bring out a native version next year , you are stuck with Rosetta. but if you have a fast intel chip and enough ram (and scratch disk), then you will probably not even notice the difference.
Then when the native version comes out, you will be ready.

Remember to factor in the cost of upgrading all your software to OSX vertsions as well....ouch !!

HTH
Old 24 September 2006, 05:53 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

CLICKY Intersting alternative to running XP in Parallels or Boot Camp. Once they get it sorted it could negate the need for Rosetta too as it could run the Windoze app better than the non-Universal Mac app
Old 24 September 2006, 02:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There is also CodeWeavers' CrossOver application which is based on WINE. It's not a bad idea, but for me Parallels is the best solution as I need to run a whole VM, rather than just a single application.