Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Quad Core processors for laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2007, 12:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad Core processors for laptops?

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a dilema, I'm in the market for a new laptop in the coming months and a Core Duo 2 processor seems aboout perfect. However, these are currently the top of the range if I understand correctly and systems featuring them and decent other components feature are priced accordingly!

Now, I understand that the new quad core processors are not far away. Of course when the Core duo is no longer "top of the range" priecs for such systems will fall quite significantly.

The question I have is: when will quad cores be available for laptops AND is it worth waiting for them to get a nice discount on a Core 2 system.

I know that one can do this ad-infintum with technology and sometimes you just have to buy what you want when you want, but I have no intention of "chasing the latest system" I've made my mind up on a spec that suits my needs and would just like to time the purchase so I don't loose my shirt just as a new processor is launched.

All the best,

Ns04
Old 30 January 2007, 04:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I work for Intel so can give you some 'general' advice. Haven't checked out who and when for Quad core laptops etc though. I only tend to research the market when I want to buy one.

OK. Quad core is being shipped at the moment, though probably not in any laptops. Even if it was you probably wouldn't see much benefit from it - assuming you have a laptop for mainly office-type work. You could well see speedups if you're doing video editing etc but that depends on whether the software has been written for multiple processors (or cores - same thing).

As for waiting, unless you know something is about to be released and you know for a fact that it is the only thing that will do what you want (or, you just want it!!!) then there is little point in waiting a few months. Intel will be releasing new C2D processors and Quad core for the rest of the year. In the second half of the year we will be releasing the next process generation C2Ds (and Quad cores) - 45nm instead of 65nm. Haven't seen any performance details as yet BUT there will be quite a lot new under the hood - just google for the latest press about 'Penryn' and our 45nm process information.

Oh, and AMD will be releasing their quad core as well ......

After that, next year, we'll be releasing our next generation architecture (Nehelem, or however we spell it!) - so you could wait ...... or just get the best out now and get as much performance as you need now ....

Dave

Many thanks for your input!

I'm only really asking as I'm trying to avoid the scenario whereby I splash out 1 grand on a laptop with a core 2, if we're right on top of a quad core role out that will drop the prices of such systems at a stroke. May as well wait till quad core is the top end processor and buy a cheaper core 2 which is MORE than adequate for my needs.

I know that loosing your shirt on these kind of buys is pretty much a given, I'd just rather not pay so much for the shirt in the first place if there is a better shirt just out in the next week rendering my chosen "old" shirt much cheaper!

...if you see what I mean
Old 01 February 2007, 10:25 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i just got a dell m65 core2duo 2.33ghz. pretty smart

the screen is great. clear type actually works!