Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Configuring MS Outlook

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2007, 08:47 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Configuring MS Outlook

Hi guys,

My friend has just set up a new business and I helped him with buying the domain and said iwould set outlook up for him (with his new domain (enquiries@.....) He is using an old Sony laptop but its not too bad, he has just aquired the internet connection at his new home with AOL, but he is using his old BT modem as the AOL one has not arrived. The standard AOL explorer thing (don't know the name) works with the internet. However, when I came to configure Outlook, (Tools>email acounts> POP3> add change email accouts) then entered all the info (outgoing/incoming mail server etc) but when I clicked check settings it trys for about a second then get the error message that outlook cannot connect to the internet. Is this a problem with the info I have entered (I think i put mail.*his domain* for the top mail server, and smpt.aol.com for the other) the problem is, even if these are wrong, it shoud still get the internet connection? I can enter the right info in there when we have the internet connection. The one thing i can say is that IE7 will not conect to the internet either, just the AOL thing will after sign in.

Any help welcome, and I can answer any questions.
Thanks
Scott.
Old 31 January 2007, 10:09 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is really a question that AOL support can help with. Does AOL have support?
Old 01 February 2007, 02:24 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby-kid
Hi guys,

My friend has just set up a new business and I helped him with buying the domain and said iwould set outlook up for him (with his new domain (enquiries@.....) He is using an old Sony laptop but its not too bad, he has just aquired the internet connection at his new home with AOL, but he is using his old BT modem as the AOL one has not arrived. The standard AOL explorer thing (don't know the name) works with the internet. However, when I came to configure Outlook, (Tools>email acounts> POP3> add change email accouts) then entered all the info (outgoing/incoming mail server etc) but when I clicked check settings it trys for about a second then get the error message that outlook cannot connect to the internet. Is this a problem with the info I have entered (I think i put mail.*his domain* for the top mail server, and smpt.aol.com for the other) the problem is, even if these are wrong, it shoud still get the internet connection? I can enter the right info in there when we have the internet connection. The one thing i can say is that IE7 will not conect to the internet either, just the AOL thing will after sign in.

Any help welcome, and I can answer any questions.
Thanks
Scott.
Its smTP for a start mate !

It could be a fire wall blocking the programs! In fact thats the only real reason!
Even if it the system didnt have a connection installed windows would try to install one
Old 01 February 2007, 09:16 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ou...936921033.aspx

The mail server address is smtp.aol.co.uk for uk AOL users, not smtp.aol.com
Old 01 February 2007, 04:44 PM
JerryTerzo
Scooby Regular

I've set up my aol email for outlook and it is .com not co.uk

I've copied and pasted this from their help files:

Create and configure a new AOL email account in Outlook

After your AOL email account is set up, the Outlook software must be correctly configured to be able to connect to AOL.

To create and configure a new AOL email account in Outlook:

1. Launch Outlook.
2. Click the Tools menu, then click Email Accounts.
3. Choose the Add a new email account option by clicking it, then click the Next button.
4. Choose the IMAP option by clicking it, then click the Next button.
5. In the Your Name: box, type your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing email.
6. In the Email Address: box, type your full AOL email address; for example, JSmith@aol.com.
7. In the User Name: box, type your AOL screen name, for example, JSmith.
8. In the Password: box, type your AOL password.
9. In the Incoming mail server (IMAP): box, type imap.aol.com.
10. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP): box, type smtp.aol.com.
11. Click the More Settings button.
12. Click the Outgoing Server tab.
13. Click the My outgoing server requires authentication box to place a tick in it.
14. Choose the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option by clicking it, then click the Advanced tab.
15. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP): box, type 587, then click the OK button.
16. Click the Next button.
17. Click the Finish button.