Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

wireless security

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 09:17 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wireless security

i have a belkin router and want to set the security up but haven't got a clue how to do it, i can get to this page

but i'm stuck there.also what do i need to do to the laptop so it works through the router after the encryption is set up thanks
Old 01 February 2007, 09:30 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Farmerwrx - don't run before you can walk

First thing to do will be to establish a connection from your laptop to the Internet without using encryption - this will just complicate things for the moment.

Make sure that your network connection on your laptop is set to 'request an IP address' (this is the default) and that your router is set to give out addresses (it will be under the DHCP settings). Again it should be the default. Also check to ensure that wireless networking is enabled (again should be by default in a modern PC).

Once you can get a connection, I would recommend a visit to this site - have a read of the tutorials. Personally I wouldn't bother with WEP encryption as it isn't that secure and it's also a bit slower compared to WPA (you should have the option to use either, unless you have an old wireless router)

Let us know if you get stuck.
Old 01 February 2007, 09:35 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Farmerwrx - don't run before you can walk

First thing to do will be to establish a connection from your laptop to the Internet without using encryption - this will just complicate things for the moment.

Make sure that your network connection on your laptop is set to 'request an IP address' (this is the default) and that your router is set to give out addresses (it will be under the DHCP settings). Again it should be the default. Also check to ensure that wireless networking is enabled (again should be by default in a modern PC).

Once you can get a connection, I would recommend a visit to this site - have a read of the tutorials. Personally I wouldn't bother with WEP encryption as it isn't that secure and it's also a bit slower compared to WPA (you should have the option to use either, unless you have an old wireless router)

Let us know if you get stuck.
i have the wireless set up and running fine and the laptop i don't know how to set up the encryption,what do i put in the boxes in the pic above and then what will i have to do to the laptop? ps i have the wpa option

Last edited by farmerwrx; 01 February 2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01 February 2007, 09:49 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

OK that's good. All you need to do is make sure that you enable the use of encryption on the wireless connection on your PC.

As I mentioned before - don't use WEP, unless you have to.

Check the options in the router - you should be able to use WPA (WiFi Protected Access). The easiest thing to do is use WPA-Pre Shared Key. All you do is think up a passphrase (just combine a few words into a string with no spaces between them) and enter that into the router. Select the same encryption type on your PC and enter the same passphrase and that is basically it.
Old 01 February 2007, 10:25 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

sorry to be so thick this is the screen shot of the wpa options

sever ip?
server port?
shared secret?
re key interval?
Old 01 February 2007, 11:07 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

i think i have set up the wpa-psk(no server) option ok seems to be working fine and the laptop :-)
Old 01 February 2007, 02:27 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool - nice one. That's the right option. Everything else will revert to default settings.

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2007, 06:56 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Cool - nice one. That's the right option. Everything else will revert to default settings.
thanks chris