Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2007, 06:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households

From the press release:

Orb Networks announced that starting today more than 17 million households with gaming consoles worldwide can now enjoy and share all of the digital entertainment on their home PCs directly on their living room TV screen, using the company's free MyCasting software as the bridge. The announcement comes as Apple begins shipping its Apple TV.

Orb MyCasting now works with the Microsoft Xbox 360, the world's largest game console installed base, as well as the Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation3, giving gamers the ability to bring all digital media to their TV screen without any additional costs or hardware requirements.

Orb turns the home PC into a personal broadcasting system, and lets users build and organize their own "channels" to enjoy their music, photos, video, TV, documents and other extras for viewing on any device with a streaming media player and Internet connection. The free MyCasting software allows you to enjoy all digital media from your home PC, as well as online videos from the growing source of Internet TV and content sites, on any networked device with an internet browser - be it other PCs, lap tops, PDAs or mobile phones with streaming players. And now, TV with gaming consoles including the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3.

How Orb Works with your game console:
1. Download load Orb at MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software (Version v2.00.0856 or higher) onto your always-on Windows PC at home. It takes less than 3 minutes to do.
2. For the Wii and PS3, turn on the TV that is connected to your game console and open your Web browser. Using your remote control or controller, log onto your Orb account through your game console at mycast.orb.com.
3. For the XBox 360, go to the media tab and select the media type (video, photos, or music) you want to play on your TV. Click "computer" from the list of options, and you will see a list of the computers running Orb on your LAN. Select one and then pick from the available video, photos, or music.
4. That's it. Now enjoy, watch and listen to any digital content on your home PC - videos, music, Internet TV and radio or any other online content you programmed in your Orb MyCast application: they are now all airing on your TV screen.
Read the full press release: MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software
Official Site: MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software

Just off to try it now
Old 22 March 2007, 07:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

just downloading now

DAn
Old 23 March 2007, 12:57 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

That looks very cool - off to download it and fire up the Wii now...
Old 23 March 2007, 01:05 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Will it do DivX?!?!
Old 23 March 2007, 01:08 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Will it do DivX?!?!
Yes, it does

I only had a quick play but it seemed work nice and easily, although not quite as good quality wise as Media Centre and Transcode360. Could just need the setting tweaking though.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:13 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never had much luck with Transcode and this looks so much easier to set up
Old 23 March 2007, 01:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Looks interesting. Seems that it will work on Vista as well. Might have to give this a go at the weekend
Old 23 March 2007, 01:52 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Works OK on the Wii - but that damn huge navigation bar that takes up the lower part of the screen cannot be removed or hidden - and that spoils it.

Hopefully the 'production' version of the Wii Opera browser will give the option to remove it...

Otherwise, works quite nicely but has lots of potential.
Old 23 March 2007, 05:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

how is this different from the xbox media connect tool?

ahh edit, just noticed the divx stuff

Last edited by StickyMicky; 23 March 2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 23 March 2007, 06:34 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It didn't work for me unfortunately. I installed it, it worked and then rebooted my machine and couldn't get the system tray icon to appear (and hence couldn't change the configuration).

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64. It appears that the 64 bit version causes issues with lots of things unfortunately.

Steve
Old 25 March 2007, 11:32 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Installed this and set it up but cant get to view any video files on my 360. any ideas where I could be going wrong? firewall settings maybe?
Old 29 March 2007, 09:45 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ok I got this working. Quality isn't great but may be improved if I play with the settings.

Anybody using this? I'm wanting to forward a stream in WMP to the 360. Is this possible with orb or other software?
Old 29 March 2007, 10:07 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I'm sticking with Vista Premium and Transcode360 for now.

But it can be done with Orb. The website says: To add Internet TV channels to your ‘Videos’, you must first designate them as Orb Favorites. To do that, go to the TV tab in the 'Quick Tips' Guide in mycast.orb.com.

You should be able to add the URL to your stream and make it viewable on the 360. Could be handy for some Prem games
Old 29 March 2007, 10:11 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I'm sticking with Vista Premium and Transcode360 for now.

But it can be done with Orb. The website says: To add Internet TV channels to your ‘Videos’, you must first designate them as Orb Favorites. To do that, go to the TV tab in the 'Quick Tips' Guide in mycast.orb.com.

You should be able to add the URL to your stream and make it viewable on the 360. Could be handy for some Prem games
Dunk you read my intention. cheers for the confirmation and info. I'll give it a try tonight with a channel.