Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Laptop help.............

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2007, 10:51 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which Laptop help.............

My mates old man wants to spend upto a grand on a laptop. All it needs to be is quick and have a wireless thingy for the internet. He bought one from pc world a few weeks back and had problems with it. He returned it and got his money back.
Any advice as to which lappy to go for as i know nowt about them
Old 19 May 2007, 11:05 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does he just want it for intenet - you will not go wrong if you stick yo HP, Dell, IBM (leveno) and i would include sony in that list

personally I use dell,

quick look shows a deal on this one

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

as a heads up i know dell are just about to change the latitude range so some good deals will be comming up shortly if your not after the very latest technology
Old 19 May 2007, 11:08 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
does he just want it for intenet - you will not go wrong if you stick yo HP, Dell, IBM (leveno) and i would include sony in that list

personally I use dell,

quick look shows a deal on this one

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

as a heads up i know dell are just about to change the latitude range so some good deals will be comming up shortly if your not after the very latest technology

agreed
Old 19 May 2007, 11:18 AM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

if that's all you want them you only need to spend £500. if you want a Dell buy it from here eBay Seller: thechef01: Laptops, Drives Storage items on eBay.co.uk and save 20%.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:30 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilA
if that's all you want them you only need to spend £500. if you want a Dell buy it from here eBay Seller: thechef01: Laptops, Drives Storage items on eBay.co.uk and save 20%.

I agree.
It's where I will be buying a Dell laptop from. My mate did & saved £400 on buying direct from Dell. He has had excellent support from both the seller & Dell as well.
Old 19 May 2007, 01:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

If you want to spend a grand on a top spec system, and the above don't have anything that appeals then A company on Ebay called virtual Glue may be able to sort you out with a very nice top of the range Dell XPS Sytem, I've just bought a system off them and am awaiting delivery. So far they've been excellent and I got a cracking deal: all of the following for £1145. Specified the same system at Dell for about 1700!!!!
  • INTEL 2.0GHZ CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR (DUAL CORE)
  • 120GB (5,400RPM) HARD DRIVE
  • 2048 MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • 512MB GEFORCE 7950 GTX GRAPHICS
  • 8X DVD+/- RW ( ALSO WRITES CD's )
  • INTEGRATED DIGITAL/STEREO SOUND
  • WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
  • 17 INCH WIDESCREEN ULTRASHARP WUXGA DISPLAY (1920X1200 RESOLUTION)
  • INTERNAL WIRELESS INTEL 802.11 a/b/g CARD
  • 10/100 ETHERNET PORT
  • 56k V.92 MODEM
  • INTERNAL SPEAKERS WITH SUBWOOFER
Old 19 May 2007, 02:15 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

ive got a sony vgn-fe41s a seriosuly nice laptop, wifi and bluetooth widescreen core duo thingy 160 gb hd, 2 gig ram, dual layer dvd writer, even a built in webcam, well happy with it, i can burn films and download and surf the net at the same time and the thing doesnt even get hot or struggle
Old 19 May 2007, 05:41 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Some good info there thankyou. Have just spoken to the chap in question and he says (taking his issues with pc world into account) that he wants to buy from somewhere local(ish) so if he has issues then he can go back there in person. He's in Wetherby (nr Leeds) so the best local i can think of is CCL in Bradford. Can anyone spot a good deal on there?
Old 19 May 2007, 05:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Brun
Some good info there thankyou. Have just spoken to the chap in question and he says (taking his issues with pc world into account) that he wants to buy from somewhere local(ish) so if he has issues then he can go back there in person. He's in Wetherby (nr Leeds) so the best local i can think of is CCL in Bradford. Can anyone spot a good deal on there?
To be honest mate, if you're looking for a decent deal on a PC, you're better off going direct to the manufacturers, thus cutting out the middle man! The only time I'd advocate using a third party is when they are re-selling outlet equipment, as there are significant savings to be made on "as new" equipment.

Invariably, if you go to the high street, you get less for your money!

Ns04
Old 19 May 2007, 11:31 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Got ya
Just had another look at the Dell website and i see they have 3 year warrantys where they come out to you to fix any probs. That could be the way forward
Old 19 May 2007, 11:53 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

looks ok but i'd be wanting to know how his warranty works - when dell sell a product it is registered in your name, only this person \ business can claim warranty work - well thats the case with business cover

not saying its not genuine just ask the question first
Old 20 May 2007, 11:58 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I don't think that would be a problem as he will be wanting to keep it for a few years.