Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WSUS 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2007, 07:05 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I upgraded from WSUS 2 a few weeks ago. It went fine.

I seem to remember that WSUS is drastically different from SUS but in a good way. It gives you far more information about what is going on with updates and clients.

I found the upgrades and migrating from one server to another a piece of p*ss. Just make sure that you've backed up the database and the content folder (contains all the updates).

I know alot of people that put off upgrading to WSUS but I don't really know why. I found it a pretty good product.
Old 22 May 2007, 10:06 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

From what I remember the databases are completely different between versions. I remember that WSUS2 introduced MSDE or SQL server dbs and WSUS3 has introduced a "Windows Internal Database".

What you could do is install SUS on a new VM and copy across the database and content folders. Then run the WSUS2 SP1 setup. Then run the WSUS3 setup. It shouldn't take long and should upgrade the database as it goes leaving your data intact.

WSUS does take some getting used to and I actually preferred WSUS2 to WSUS3 but there you go.
Old 24 May 2007, 11:37 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I plan to upgrade to 3.0 from 2.0 when I get back from hols. I've read some very good websites and comments from users who have done the upgrade. It looks very promising.

One think I don't want to do is have to set all the approval of updates again. It takes hours if you have it updating alot of the programs and OS's.

Darren