Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL Modem - Pass Through

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2007, 01:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ADSL Modem - Pass Through

Hi folks

Anyone recommend me a cheap n cheerful ADSL Modem using Ethernet that just passes it's IP information straight through?

I have a firewall and I just want it's Internet Port to be the ISP assigned IP address and not the modem (although I realise that to communicate with the modem I need to have an IP range between the 2 devices). However, the firewall can't handle the ADSL bit.

A Zoom X3 is capable of it but a pain to configure and is also too feature rich!

Cheers

Puff
Old 25 May 2007, 09:52 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the firewall handle PPPoE (ie a SonicWall) Puff?

I've just got a Draytek Vigor 100 in on test with a SW Pro 3060 and its very good so far.

Handles the ADSL sync and converts PPPoA to PPPoE (so you put your ADSL login details into the firewall). Even comes pre-set for UK ADSL - I only logged onto the web interface to see what it showed.

Ours was £50 from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

Have also used lots of SpeedTouch 546 (currently the v6 revision) which does a decent job of acting as a non-NAT ADSL router though to turn off the firewall proper is a Telnet job. Similar price to the Vigor 100 but needs a bit more config time / effort.
Old 25 May 2007, 05:26 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

First of all apologies for the thread hijack!

Chris I have a new speedtouch 546 at work and am having a few problems with it. It is connected inwards to a Sonicwall TZ170 running the latest firmware which acts as our network internet gateway.

We have a remote monitor for the sonicwall at another site to check whether its down or not, uses a simple ping command. I have been assured by our ISP (Pipex) who provided the router that Ping is enabled on it but the sonicwall only responds for 15-20 minute windows at a time (it spends most of the time not responding). I have no experience of telnet to check things out myself.

We can only get VPN access using the Sonicwall client when it is responding to the ping command, VPN access cant connect at any other time. I have no idea why it responds for short periods of time and then not for the rest. Any ideas? Could it be a fault with the router or just the setup?
Old 25 May 2007, 08:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The "help" on my netgear says

Originally Posted by netgear
NAT (Network Address Translation)

NAT allows all LAN PCs to gain Internet access via this Router, by sharing this Router's WAN IP address. In most situations, NAT is essential for Internet access via this Router. You should only disable NAT if you are sure you do not require it. When NAT is disabled, only standard routing is performed by this Router.
...so i guess that you simply disable NAT (on yer average ADSL Router)!!

mb
Old 25 May 2007, 09:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Hi folks

Anyone recommend me a cheap n cheerful ADSL Modem using Ethernet that just passes it's IP information straight through?

I have a firewall and I just want it's Internet Port to be the ISP assigned IP address and not the modem (although I realise that to communicate with the modem I need to have an IP range between the 2 devices). However, the firewall can't handle the ADSL bit.

A Zoom X3 is capable of it but a pain to configure and is also too feature rich!

Cheers

Puff

an ADSL with ethernet that keeps the IP, I would have thought you'd need to use USB to do that ? I guess you could set a router to duplicate the IP address... interesting one this one
Old 25 May 2007, 11:12 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
an ADSL with ethernet that keeps the IP, I would have thought you'd need to use USB to do that ? I guess you could set a router to duplicate the IP address... interesting one this one
Nah there are a few that do it, sometimes it's for redundancy. So you have 2 ADSL lines that come in through modems and plug into 2 WAN ports on a more expensive router, then if one fails, the other takes over, bonding is another reason though not many ISP's offer support for this.

link to one Chris mentioned

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | DrayTek Vigor 100 ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem
Old 25 May 2007, 11:15 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
The "help" on my netgear says

...so i guess that you simply disable NAT (on yer average ADSL Router)!!

mb
I'm guessing on a Netgear that would only be for if you had a block of IP addresses assigned by your ISP, but here the routing would already be done

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2007, 12:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1210
Nah there are a few that do it, sometimes it's for redundancy. So you have 2 ADSL lines that come in through modems and plug into 2 WAN ports on a more expensive router, then if one fails, the other takes over, bonding is another reason though not many ISP's offer support for this.

link to one Chris mentioned

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | DrayTek Vigor 100 ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

learn something new everyday