Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is my Power Supply Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 09:50 AM
Prisoner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My PC is dead

How can I check if it's the power supply without having to get a new one?

Ta

P
Old 12 January 2002, 04:55 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Depends what test equipment you have.

As already mentioned try another power lead.
Try another power socket or another appliance in the socket you are using.

Remove all cards and disconnect power from all drives to check it is not a card or drive holding the PSU down.

If you have a voltmeter and it's an ATX supply, check the PSU connector to the motherboard for the +5vSB level that should be there when the AC is on (can't remember the pin/colour off the top of my head).

Old 12 January 2002, 05:26 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

I've not messed with computer PSU's, but I seem to remember reading that the newer types of PSU need to feed a certain voltage back off the board to start the rest of the power supply up.
Old 13 January 2002, 02:59 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

If it is an ATX power supply , the previous poster is correct. Ib brave, you can find out what the pins are for the MB signal, solder the send/return leads and put a switch in the circuit so you can switch the supply on and off without plugging it into a motherboard.
Of course, when you find that it does work you have to undo the above. Not terribly helpful...

Personally I would remove the cable to the PC. Swap it with the monitor cable or another kettle type cable you know works. Plug it in and try that. Check the wall switch (obviously) and the actual PC PSU switch (if there is one). If that doesn't work and you are comfortable delving inside the PC, take the lid off and check that all cables are seated properly (remove power first). Also check the cable from the on/off switch on the front of the case to the motherboard is seated correctly.
If none of that results in the familier whirr, it probably is the PSU. Next would be to swap out yours with one you know works...
Good luck.
KF.
Old 13 January 2002, 03:14 PM
Prisoner
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna borrow a power supply, but before i do...

The case has a large (not ps2) keyboard plug on the back and is quite an old one, the power supply says atx-942 on the side and is rated at 230w,It has one large plug that goes on to the MB as well as all the power. Is this an AT or ATX Power supply??? (this is what i was asked.. i don't know what the hell I am on about )

Ta

Paul
Old 13 January 2002, 03:23 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

An ATX supply has 1 main Motherboard plug on the end. Almost alway translucent coloured. approx 2 inches long by 1 cm in witch. 2 rows of connectors, 1 behind the other. Cant remember, but the individual pins are normally different shapes, e.g some square peg, some round peg, etc..

At AT supply has 2 connectors that plug into the Motherboard, together, side by side, can look like a single connector though without scrutinizing it. Also an AT has a physical power switch lead that goes to the front of the machine.

You trigger the power on an ATX supply by tripping the trigger switch on the case. on an AT, you physically push/click it on/off,

Hope this helps,

Nick.

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 1/13/2002 3:24:37 PM]
Old 13 January 2002, 03:24 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Couple of ways to tell (generally speaking).

1. ATX power supply has a single main connectyor to the motherboard with 2 rows of 10 pins. There is no connection to the power on/off switch on the PC.

2 AT power supply has two connectors to the motherboard each of 6 pins, these are often labelled P8 & P9. They may look like (or be) a single 12 pin connector when on the motherboard. There is a thick AC power cable from the power supply to the on/off switch on the PC.
Old 13 January 2002, 03:28 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

It has one large plug that goes on to the MB as well as all the power.
It's an ATX then..

[Edited by Avi - 1/13/2002 4:53:49 PM]
Old 13 January 2002, 07:34 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

My disk died recently and stopped the board booting at all. Try disconecting everything to see if you get any repsonse. (Without graphics card syou should at least get a series of beeps)

Deano
Old 14 January 2002, 12:21 AM
Prisoner
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorted it now.. thanks

Borrowed a PSU from a friend and it proved that it had blown.

Paul
Old 01 December 2002, 10:28 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Try using a different cable so you know its not just plug fused.

Any smoke, smell of electrical burning?

Ask an electrician.

Take it to your local PC shop.

Or I'm sure I've seen advertised on either TV or the net a mini electricians diagnosis kit with some handy tools for findg shorts etc.

Have a search.

[Edited by BarryK - 1/12/2002 10:29:08 AM]