Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 09:25 PM
fivealive
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick Question

I have just fixed up my BT Home Hub and BT Hub Phone.

My laptop finds the Hub and connects to the Internet - it seems to be connected whenever I power it up now, is that right?

Also, my Desktop PC is always connected to the Internet now - whereas before (on ADSL Braodband) I had to 'connect'.

I liked connecting as I felt more secure - the PC was unconnected during the day, but left on to do its maintenence work .. back ups .. defrags .. and virus scans.

Is it at risk being left connected to the web?

I also used to get 2 PC Screens flashing away in my Sys tray - they are no longer there ...... is that right?

How do I connect as before? Or is this 'normal' now that I have launched into the Modern Age?
Old 01 February 2008, 09:39 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You now have a router, not a modem connected to your PC. The router is handling the dial up for you and stays connected all the time.

The router is in fact more secure as it is the device with the outside (public) IP address not your computer.

Relax, its normal and better than using a ADSL modem connected direct to your PC.