Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

wireless safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 08:12 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wireless safe?

hi all ive just put my laptop wireless got a netgear router and was wanting to know if anyone else can log onto my broadband using their computer i put a password on it but i should have put a better one on and now i dont know how to change it .
is it safe or can people log on
thanks guys and gals
Old 10 February 2008, 08:21 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your using wep encryption, no i can crack that in 2-3 minutes easy, most secure id say wpa-psk, you can put in whatever key you want just make it nice and hard not obvious like your mothers maiden name for example.
Old 10 February 2008, 05:52 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

yes your wireless is unsafe - I'm sitting outside your house, rifling through your digital **** collection

Last edited by spectrum48k; 15 February 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:13 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

loads of hacking and cracking software available free on the net to get through encrypted wireless networks. Wireless networks are by far the most unsecure, basically everything you do is travelling through the air via data packets which means everything you do is exposed

I have an application on my laptop and when runnning I can see what everyone in my street is looking at via there wireless networks
Old 15 February 2008, 07:15 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

can i tell if someone is shifting through my computer or broadband and is it possible for me to use the wieless router with an ethernet cable so others cannot log on
Old 15 February 2008, 08:34 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
can i tell if someone is shifting through my computer or broadband and is it possible for me to use the wieless router with an ethernet cable so others cannot log on
yes, you can log into the router's menu and turn wireless OFF (see your router's instructions). As you say, the only way to connect to the router then, is with a cable - perfectly secure.

Aside from this, there is another way into your computer - by coming in through the internet connection. This is why you should employ a strong firewall, which prevents this kind of shenanigans.
Old 15 February 2008, 08:38 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
yes your wireless is unsafe - I'm sitting outside your house, rifling through your digital **** collection
I was joking when I said this. Of course I wasn't sitting outside your HOUSE - I was actually sitting 250 miles away.

Just kidding
Old 15 February 2008, 09:34 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
I was joking when I said this. Of course I wasn't sitting outside your HOUSE - I was actually sitting 250 miles away.

Just kidding
now i dont know if your joking or not

seriously though i didnt know anyone could be going through my stuff so easy.
can you actually look onto say if i had online banking and i was on that site ,could you see my information
Old 15 February 2008, 10:47 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by L33_WRX
I have an application on my laptop and when runnning I can see what everyone in my street is looking at via there wireless networks
Oh yea? What 'application' is this then? You a bit of a nix master are you? Your not going to see what you claim without that knowledge, on n the fact that every1 on your 'street' have completely insecure wap's (unlikely).
Old 16 February 2008, 12:01 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
now i dont know if your joking or not

seriously though i didnt know anyone could be going through my stuff so easy.
can you actually look onto say if i had online banking and i was on that site ,could you see my information
People on scoobynet are your friends, and we'll try and PREVENT something like that happening

As for bank details - you'd be surprised how easy it is to get them off you. I'll not go into the specifics (you never know who's reading) but suffice to say, NEVER do your online banking on a computer other than your own (ie. don't use an internet cafe or a computer at work for this)

1. Make sure you have a good quality anti-virus program and firewall.
2. Always change your default password on your router / modem
3. If you must use wireless, use strongest encryption your box offers.
4. Switch off your internet connection / wireless network when not in use ie overnight.

As an alternative to wireless, you can always connect your computer devices using these:
dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit