Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win2k Server - DNS bad key in event viewer

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 12:30 PM
BrownDot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone explain why I'm getting these DNS errors reported in the event viewer when the server is booted up ? I haven't a clue about DNS in Win2k, but it set itself up automatically when I installed the OS.

>>
Dregistration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.COMPANY.LOCAL. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 server.COMPANY.LOCAL' failed with the following error:
DNS bad key
>>

I've got another 4 of these near identical messages but instead of '_gc._tcp' its

'_gc._msdcs'
'_gc._tcp'
'_ldap._tcp.Deafault-First-Site._sites.gc._msdcs'
'_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs'

Any ideas ?

Old 22 January 2002, 12:42 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Get the event id from the event log and have a look on Technet or post it here and I'll check it!!!

Nick..
Old 22 January 2002, 12:51 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Is this a DC ??

If so, is it authoritive for its own domain and is it DNS AD intergrated.

If so make sure that the Primary DNS server is itself and the secondary is another DC. Stop/Start NetLogon - this will check and write the required entries into the zone for the Domain that the DC belongs to.

If it is not DNS/AD Intergrated, ensure that the Primary DNS server entry points to the primary DNS server for the zone(which still maybe it'self if its autoritive) and stop start netlogon

If it's not authoritive and the authortive DNS server is not in the same forest (ie hosted on unix or something else) you'll need to speak to the owner of the DNS server

OR...
It may be a case of the IP stack on the box starting up before the DNS service on the box(if the server hosts the DNS zone that the IP stack is registered to look for)and queries failing because the stack can't contact it's primary DNS server..

If this is the case there should be nothing to worry about if you no more event errors - it's a well know "feature" of W2K

hope this helps

cheerio

Old 22 January 2002, 03:00 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

On behalf of my mate, thanks for helping.
Server is PDC on its own, with a bunch of Win2k, Win9x clients.

Apparently, thanks to you lot the problem has been fixed - the event viewer code was cross-referenced with the microsoft knowledge base which revealed its a dnyamic request that happens during NETLOGON.

We've disabled dynamic dns now in the registry, in accordance with an article on MS knowledgebase.

-Thanks