Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless LAN - Any Deals? Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 06:06 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'd quite like a wireless LAN setup for the house as it would save me having to network up the house (4 floors ). I'm not too concerned about the speed as it will mainly be used for streaming MP3's, sharing small amounts of data and sharing the internet connection

So the question is what kit do I need... I currently have an 8 port hub with 2 desktops in my office and two docking stations for out 2 laptops in the office. I'd like to keep the desktops (and possibly the docks) wired in, but I'd love the laptops to be wireless and connected to one of the desktops, which currently shares data and an internet connection to the other machines.

All my PC's currently run Win2k, and in time some will run XP, so the kit has to be compatible with those OS's.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless solution and a cheap place to buy it. Also my office is on the Top floor and I'd like laptops to work on at least 2 of the three floors below (not too bothered about the basement though)... Is this possible?

I've the D Link kit at Dabs www.dabs.com/X4PWS which seems like it will do the job, and I guess it will be around the £245 mark from C2000/Ingram etc? Can anyone do me anything better/cheaper, I know a lot of companies had these kits on trial so there must be some floating about cheaply surely?

Cheers,

Jon
Old 22 January 2002, 06:48 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

You didn't mention what kind of Internet connection you have? If you got a Cable Modem then I would recommend the SMC Wireless Barricade Router (SMC7004AWBR) which would

a) Connect your UTP wired PC's via it's 3 port Switched 100Mbit hub
b) Connect up to 253 Wireless connections (e.g. laptops) at up to 11Mbit each
c) Share/Route all this lot via the Cable Modem

It does a bunch of other stuff too like it's a DHCP server for the internal LAN, NAT routing, Print Server. It even can share/route your Intetnet connection, even if you only use dial up.

If you've got ADSL then Alcatel do a range of products similar to this but to share/route an ADSL connection.

In my house (2 bed 1890's middle terrace), I can get 11Mbit wireless up to about 4 houses away

Hope this answers your questions.....

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 1/22/2002 6:51:57 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 07:06 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Matt,

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll be fine using it on any floor then...

- I'm currently using a 56k dial up account, but intend to change to cable soon. Surely a cable modem is just a utp cable and could be plugged into any router???

Anyway how much is the SMC one, and where can I get one?

Thanks

Jon
Old 22 January 2002, 07:19 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just found the SMC - looks great... Do they do a bundle with 2 PCMCIA cards, it becomes quite expensive if I have to add cards at £100 each? Or can anyone else help me with any second hand stuff?
Old 22 January 2002, 07:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

You don't have to use the same brand of wireless card / router.

Have a look at yahoo auctions, they normally have lots of wireless PCI / PCMCIA cards.

I have an SMC Barricade and it's great! It allows the sharing of any internet connection whether it be dial-up (via a serial cable modem) or ADSL.

SMC actually had an offer before christmas of a free PCMCIA card if you bought the Barricade. You could phone them up and try and persuade them to extend the offer.

Steve.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:01 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I've got the Netgear access point and PC cards. Works pretty well and means I can work from the kids playpark at the end of the road

The best way to do it would either to set up a machine as a 'proxy' to the net, or get a router to deal with all the net traffic. either way gives you the chance to configure a firewall which is essential these days.

I can get the access point for about £110 and the PC cards for £65 (all + VAT). May even be able to beat that when i speak to suppliers as I may have a large order going through I can tag it onto ...
Old 23 January 2002, 07:47 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Boxst,

The 7004AWBR will only connect to ADSL if you have the Business Package which gives you a Router instead of a USB modem. You can't connect the USB ADSL Modems to this but Alcatel, Orinoco and a few others do similar products which can.

PB,
I'm currently using a 56k dial up account, but intend to change to cable soon. Surely a cable modem is just a utp cable and could be plugged into any router???
No, because the Cable Modem provides your PC with a DHCP IP Address. The SMC Router is designed to obtain it's public address from the Cable Modem (basically simulating being a PC) and then provides the machines on your internal LAN with private DHCP IP Addresses. A "proper" Router needs a Static IP Address to function, which in this setup, is not possible (ready to be shot down in flames by the "real" tecchies )

Kryten is right, you can also buy an Access Point and use a PC as a router instead (cheaper) but then you have to have that PC on for your routing to work. I like the Hardware solutions because you don't have to have any other pc's on to use your Net connection.....

Matt

Matt
Old 23 January 2002, 09:45 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Straying from the wireless bits really. I can recommend Smoothwall if you have an old PC available (anything from 486 up). It will appear to cable/dial/adsl etc as normal pc and protect your internal network from nasty little people on the web.

For the wireless bits make sure you use a good password/key for authentication. You wouldn't want your neigbours using your internet access would you

Deano
Old 23 January 2002, 04:40 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

This should fit the bill, you'll still need a couple of PC Cards though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISA...tem=1325395260

I have no experience of this product though, I'm a happy user of a Linksys WAP11 Access Point (£140 from buy.com) and have a Netgear RT314 Cable/ADSL router.

Michael
Old 23 January 2002, 05:22 PM
simonma
Scooby Regular

I agree with what Michael said.

I'm running peer to peer Linksys. USB plugs in to PC and PCMCIA for laptop. Think worked out around £200.

It is also supported by BTopenworld with their ADSL. I bought it off BT. It's BT branded.

I've ran it on XP and 2000. Bt only support it under 2000. But XP drivers can be downloaded from linksys.

Mail me if you need any other info.

Good luck

Si