Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Applescript gurus? (Markus?!)

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2008, 06:53 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Applescript gurus? (Markus?!)

I'd like to find a way to detect when Front Row (v2 - Leopard) accesses the 'Movies' folder.

The background is, I want to run a 'fileserver' computer containing ripped DVD's but can't afford the costs of running it 24/7 - so I want to use Wake-On-Lan. I have a simple applescript that can do the WOL part. I can even assign it as a Folder Action on the Movies folder so when I open 'Movies' in the finder, it will WOL the fileserver.

......but that does not work when I'm in Front Row - not in the Leopard version at least.

So, any suggestions on how I can WOL my fileserver when Front Row accesses the Movies folder ?

Thanks
Old 02 June 2008, 12:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What action is the folder action activating on?
I'm guessing it's when the folder is opened? If so then it makes sense that it does not work from Front Row as it isn't opening the folder, it's just accessing the path to the folder, whereas the Finder is actually opening the folder.

Right now, as I've just woken up, I can't think of any way to get front row to do what you want. If you were selecting a command from a normal menu then you could use system events in an AppleScript to run the WOL code.

What you might want to do is pop over to the MacScripter forum and post up there. I'll also have another think after a cuppa and see if I get any other ideas.
Old 02 June 2008, 03:56 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus, I will try Macscripter.

You're correct - the folder action was on open the folder - and yes, Front Row obviously access the path rather than 'opens' the folder.

I want the whole thing to be as easy as possible for non technical users - hence the reason for wanting the WOL command to be automatically launched in front row.

Might have to download RemoteBuddy and see if I can have a behaviour that I can link to my Harmony remote. eg 'Watch movie' activity would lanuch WOL script then activate/set focus to Front row
Old 02 June 2008, 04:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If you're thinking of going the media remote route, then, providing the remote can execute an applescript, then you can obviously get the WOL working.

I've just downloaded the Front Row Controller script from here. Now, it's for Salling Clicker and not an applescript, however, Salling clicker might work with the Harmony remote, not sure though. Another thing is that it also mentions xHub, which might also be worth a look, but looks like it's not free (though appears to have a free demo)
Old 02 June 2008, 08:31 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I really intend to use my new shiney 3G iPhone and Remote Buddy - but will also have a Harmony remote as a backup.....as long as I can launch an applescript as you say.

I think this would be much easier than trying to find Front Row/system events methods!

Actually, I really should demo Xhub/XBMC etc.

Thanks for your help, Markus.