Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop wont let me install windows service pack 2? it installs then doesnt load!

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 12:22 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop wont let me install windows service pack 2? it installs then doesnt load!

ive downloaded it countless times on this....and evrytime i install it, then reboot to confirm, it wont load up xp at all, then have to use the recovery disk! dont get me wrong i done computers at colege and know my stuff, but this is baffling me! on the occasion i get a message saying a vital registry file is missing, i also cant install channel 4 on demand program...or media player eleven, OR new msn messenger, they all download fine but wont install! im sure it is all to do with service pack 2 needing to be on this, but it wont work! gave up now, cant go on msn tho its bugging me, cant chat...

any ideas??

Ash
Old 04 June 2008, 12:33 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

is it possible that when you use the recovery disc microsoft cannot tell weather the copy you have is genuine or not hence why it wont install ,try doing a wga test, try downloading msn from another site
Old 04 June 2008, 03:13 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

nah the recovery disk is genuine and came with the samsung laptop, its a samsung recovery disk. what the problem is, i can download all these programs, but when go to install like say, msn messenger and media player 11, even internet explorer latest, it says i havent got the right software. microsoft update tells me i need service pack two... i download easy enough, install it fine, then when it asks me to reboot laptop for changes to take effect, it turns on, goes to the black windows xp loading screen with the scrolling green loading bar, then goes blank, gives me a white arrow and a quick sandtimer, then just restarts the laptop, then repeats agian and again and again, which then leads me to just starting again with recovery disk

always happens when i install service pack two. tempted to order it from microsoft on cd, maybe it will help?

Ash
Old 04 June 2008, 03:30 PM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

Does the same happen if you install the service pack and try ''safe mode''?
Old 04 June 2008, 03:38 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It happened to me before. Even with the SP2 CD.
I had to re-install windows in the end, and put it down to the version on the laptop not being a genuine.
Old 04 June 2008, 06:42 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

pretty sure even with the copy that came with the pc(recovery disc) windows cannot tell weather its genuine or not,thats why u never get the warning sayin u have an illegal copy, try doing a window genuine advantage test on there site
Old 04 June 2008, 11:50 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

tried safe mode too! jus done the same, starts to load then just reboots.maybe it isnt genuine, but as u say to check the site, everytime i type in microsoft.com, even if i spell it correctly, i just get forwarded to msn search site, where it says "didnt you mean microsoft.com?", and im like, DUH YEAH,.... then i try again, and get the old "this web page is currently unavailable blah blah blah" screen. ive tried getting there by clicking on update in the control panel, just brings me tot he unavailable page. cant even access microsoft website!! what a palava. ive given up, so long as i can still go on here, ebay, google, youtube and bbc i player, im cool. bought a spanking new pc the other day anyway, soon as that delivered will have that upstairs which ill use, and the missus can have this downstairs, ha...lol

thanks for all suggestions tho guys, i will still try and sort it!

Ash