Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless connectivity question.

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2009, 08:33 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a quick look at that smc kit n i can't see why you couldn't just use it as a wireless access point .... you'd need to physically connect it to the existing lan (at a suitably convenient location) by patching it in one of the 4 yellow switch ports rather than the blue coloured port which is for wan connection. You'd also want to disable the routing functionality and probably the dhcp service (assuming you already have dhcp service available on the lan). Using it that way, the smc kit doesn't actually require an ip address technically since it's only switching traffic locally but it would be good practice to give it a static address for management purposes anyway. Whatever the "device" is that's connecting to it can operate on dhcp if required (as prior stated, assuming the existing lan has dhcp service) or can run static ip if preferred. Obviously whatever the device is, it will need to have the ability to support a wireless connection itself though i.e. have a means to plug a usb dongle or something into it and be able to have a wireless client installed on it in order to configure it to access the correct wireless network.

Would be far easier to suggest appropriate options with a little more detail about the existing physical network setup, what type of use / load is going to be placed on this link and, the device you're intending to connect though
Old 01 February 2009, 08:41 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

If using 2 AP's, you need to make sure both are on the same IP Range - eg: 192.168.1.1 not one on 192.168.1.1 & other on 192.168.0.1
This range needs to be set the same. One needs to be Static IP not DHCP, while the other he connects to can be set to DHCP.
2 wireless AP's will also need 2 encryption keys to enable the link.
You need to rename both,1 as primary & 1 secondary to make it simpler.
So to summarise, His PC will be connected to an AP, while its talking to the other AP on the same range.
Old 01 February 2009, 09:23 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Apologies for the cr4ppy drawing but, which of these styles are you looking to do? ....

If it's picture b, my question would be why for a single device? - are you intending to place the "device" significantly out of range of the first wireless ap i.e. thereby requiring effectively a repeater station?
Old 01 February 2009, 09:32 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

ahh ok. ignore my last post and cr4ppy pic then

have a look here mate ....

Wireless Bridging
Old 02 February 2009, 08:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you need B

but the connection to the AP (from your device) is via a lan Cable (not wirelessly as shown) -- the AP then acts as a wireless bridge to the network

all it does is extend the LAN wirelessly -- you just connect your device to it

dont get confused with routing -- no routing is involved (until it needs to go outside the LAN)
Old 03 February 2009, 03:15 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

woulda posted back sooner but had the last couple of days off work courtesy of the snow n it was too much to resist lol! - carparks, a volvo, some camera's and a mate that's rapidly becoming one of the best drift drivers in the uk ... EPIC fun!!! lol! Anyways, as hodgy quite rightly says, you need option B - You're creating a wireless bridge. You're device connects to the second AP via a cable into one of the lan ports .... i would do another 'Monet' but i'm not feeling too creative today lol!
Old 03 February 2009, 03:18 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

oh and on that link i posted before, you'd want to be looking at Scenario 3
Old 03 February 2009, 03:54 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

lovin the salesman! lol! .... as for wireless and security, given you don't need ultimate performance from it, that can be ultra secure if you want it to be - can even point you in the direction of military grade security if you wanna pay out for it! lol! That said, could design something just as effective for a fraction of the money if you've got guys available that can do it

The bit their tech guys will be getting 4n41 about is because parts of their system contain and pass confidential financial information (card details, account numbers etc). Not 100% sure but I think it's legal requirement for said system to meet certain ISO regulations because of this. I'm a little unclear on the regs tbh (something i need to look into for a system i may be designing soon actually) but i think it's loosely along the lines that those elements of the system must be secured / isolated and not exposed to consistent potential connection.

Does your data logger actually need access to their system though? You mention it can upload it's content to an ftp site. If you're not already planning this, how about proposing that you guys host the ftp server (for a management fee of course ) off site at your office. In that scenario, you could effectively build a work around by feeding the wireless bridge link directly through to the "untrusted" side of their router. You could in theory actually host the server on their site in the same zone but then you wouldn't be able to charge for it so easily Given that they're a "commercial grade" system (love that term lol! - it means nothing!!! lol!), their router should (99% certain) have the "untrusted" zone on it and their system security will therefore have had to be designed with it in mind. The only thing you may want to consider is including your own firewall somewhere in the link before your device purely to protect that device. You could of course rely on the built in microsoft firewall assuming you're running microsoft though