Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Dell Precision with no Recovery CD

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2009, 06:26 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dell Precision with no Recovery CD

I have just ordered a new Dell Precision Workstation (haven't received it yet), but now I am worried because I have been reading through the order details and it says the Operating System CD is not included. That means I can't re-install the system? Why would they do this?

I have been looking on the internet and it seems it is common practice with some of the mainstream manufacturers.

Should I be worried about it?
Old 03 February 2009, 06:30 PM
oli1983uk
Scooby Regular

dell normally have a program built into the system that will write recovery cds for you, 2 dell laptops I have formatted had the programs on.

If you choose to have a OS installed on the system then there will still be a product key stuck on the system some where.
Old 03 February 2009, 10:52 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

If you really need the CD's just call Dell and ask for them to be shipped. It's free.

It's been common place for a while now and it's not just Dell that are doing it. It was actually brought in by Microsoft.

For the home user it can be a pita but for businesses it makes sense. If I bought 100 desktops at the same time I'd receive at least 300 CD\DVD's!. One for OS, One for Dell Driver and Utilities, One for CDRW and one for DVD software.

Darren
Old 03 February 2009, 11:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

There will be a partition on the hard drive with the recovery software, its actually better than having the cd because when Windows turns to **** you just run recovery console and it will reinstall without user input.

To find the partition go to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management
Old 03 February 2009, 11:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

It is always best to have proper OS installation CD though (rather than a recovery partition) so that you can put things back how and when you like.

For the last couple of weeks i have been tearing my hair out trying to find my old XP Professional SP2 CD that i bought when i got my DELL (it was an extra £5-88) 'cos i want to replace the existing 250MB disk with a couple of new terabyte disks (£67-45 each from eBuyer). I can now breathe again, as i found the disk (plus the driver CD and other docs) in a plastic bag that i put in a "safe place"

So a complete system re-build soon, and without Yahoo Messenger and Norton slow-your-pooter-down type applications being force-installed.

mb
Old 04 February 2009, 12:11 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Dedrater
There will be a partition on the hard drive with the recovery software, its actually better than having the cd because when Windows turns to **** you just run recovery console and it will reinstall without user input.

To find the partition go to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management
What happens if the hard drive fails, that happened to me, and i had to slipdisc it all back, for business it makes sense, but public sales should have the cd's included!