Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who here has Pre-ordered the Xbox?????????

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2002, 07:32 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ME!
Old 25 February 2002, 09:06 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

Not me guv. Played on one at the weekend and my jaw stayed firmly shut. I really want to love it, and will get one eventually, but the first gen software I tried was a bit lacking. Project Gotham didn't look much better than the original MSR on the Dreamcast :-(

It'll definitely have the largest software base though, that's for sure. And as soon as the guy working on MAME for it gets it running sweetly my wallet will be trembling.

Roll on Sega converting their mega back catalog over to it too. I want to see Samba De Amigo and Monkeyball.
Old 26 February 2002, 10:59 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Question

Where can I find info about the pros/cons of getting a UK/US/Jap X-Box?

I have had a look around the X-Box site...

My girlfriend is currently in Japan and I am tempted to ask her to try and bring one back, I think they are around £200 there where as the UK price is £299 IIRC.
So I will need a power converter, any idea on the cost?

What about playing games and DVDs from the UK. Will I need to get it chipped to play R2 games/DVDs?

I can't work out if I should stick with the PS2 and look forward to MGS2.

I wonder how long it will be before the games start really coming out, would it be best just to hang on for 6 months and wait the price to drop and the number of games available rise?

decisions decisions...

Old 26 February 2002, 11:03 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Arrow

I'm gonnna wait til nearer Xmas for mine.

At the moment the games seem pretty average and the price is ridiculous. Hopefully nearer Xmas it'll come down to £250 and more games should be released I'd stick with the PS2 for now, as the X-Box games are currently not much better.

Power convertors are cheap, only about £15 I think.

Just my opinion.
Old 26 February 2002, 04:14 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

'The games seem pretty average'

have to disagree, since i got my xbox on boxing day my ps2 and gamecube havent been used.
In fact i flogged my ps2 as it was just soooooo yesterday

gotham is ok, doa3 is stunning, but halo is the billie bollocks.
rallisport challenge due soon looks good, wreckless which im also getting soon got 9.2 i think it was on ign, plus the other games i havent yet got that got good reviews put the xbox in a pretty decent place.

Amped and ssx got very good reviews and are slightly different from ps2 version (in ssx case) and everyone i've shown my xbox to with the above games has left trying to smuggle it out under there jumper!

theres a stack full of 2002 xbox forthcoming games at the following url, sega gt looks quite nice as does unreal championship <dribble>.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/xbox2002/

Also, you console boys who have been unable to play the daddy of footie mamangement games only have to wait till the end of march.
I've found the xbox has straddled the gap between console and pc gaming very well.

[Edited by ptholt - 2/26/2002 4:17:52 PM]
Old 26 February 2002, 04:53 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I gotta agree with Pete, after playing his and my best m8's Station2 I wasn't too impressed, but playing Halo is one of the best games I have ever played imho, put it this way Pete and I played halo for 10 hours on the spin hehe....

Xbox defo gets my vote over the Station2 and GameCube.

Gonna get a US one by the end of next week hopefully
Old 27 February 2002, 11:21 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

BUT what about the region encoding, I think I know the answer to this but will my R2 DVDs work on a Jap XBox?
If not, what can be done? how much? and where from?

Cheers,
Rich
Old 27 February 2002, 12:21 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Wink

me...I pre-ordered one....i am in IT So I need to have all my Gadgets!!...probably wont play it though...Far too tied up with GT3 and Ace Combat4....oh and work!!!
Old 27 February 2002, 04:30 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

From what i have read you WILL have to get your xbox chipped to play r1 etc.
but i havent seen anything about region coding chips yet. Probably because its only here in rip off britain that people want and need such chips, and seeing as it hasnt arrived officially yet there dont seem to be any chips around at the mo.
Old 27 February 2002, 06:38 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

a disc similar to the PS2 disc that makes your dvdplayer play all regions will be available for the xbox
Just wait for UT