Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AppleTV

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2009, 09:55 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AppleTV

Anyone got one??

I've been using a Popcorn A-110 for over a year now and it's great but the interface is pretty basic, even using one of the jukeboxes it's still not great.

I was in the Apple Store on Saturday and was having a play around with AppleTV and the interface was excellent.

I've done a bit of digging on a few forums and it seems you can install Boxee and X-Box Media Centre to allow you to stream content outside of your I-Tunes library such as DVD ISOs etc.

Anyone got one and installed XBMC??

Tempted to go and pick one up today

Old 01 December 2009, 12:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got an AppleTV, it's currently in it's box since we moved last year and I've not plugged it in at the new place as yet. But I did install XMBC on it and it seemed ok, however, the Apple remote that comes with it does limit some of the things you can do, as the buttons don't exist on it to perform various actions (can't remember what for sure).

I was thinking about seeing if patchstick had been updated to run on the latest 3.x software. I might just ask a friend of mine about it as he did did some coding for ATV, namely ATVLoader and BackRow developers kit. So he is a pretty knowledgeable chappy.
Old 01 December 2009, 12:50 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure I read that patchstick now works on 3.x

As a complete Apple newbie is it a fairly simple process to follow?

Old 01 December 2009, 12:56 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of using this

Software - patchstick.ca

Don't mind paying a small fee if it means it's hassle free for me!

Old 01 December 2009, 01:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Pay? You should not have to pay for patchstick, it's open source, so perhaps someone is trying to profit from it.

I'm pretty sure that AwkwardTV is the main place to go for it. Pretty sure there is a nice guide on thier wiki on how to set it up.

Seems you are right, there is a v3 compatible version. Looks like it's pretty easy. I'm about to follow the info on this page. Will report back later how it went.
Old 01 December 2009, 01:59 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus

My lovely wife has just picked my AppleTV up from the Apple Store so I'll have a look when the kids go to bed

Last edited by Hanley; 01 December 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 02:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Any problems, just shout. I've just created a patchstick using the 3.0.1 update (found it here) and I'm applying said patchstick to the ATV now. When I just turned it on it appears to have been patched previously as there was a menu item for XBMC/Boxee

I'll report back shortly on how it's going.

** edit **

Successfully patched, rebooted ATV and it's come up :-) Version is 2.2 though, so not entirely sure it's working as I thought I should have 3.0.1. I'm going to see what I'm doing wrong.

** edit 2 **

I iz fick Patchstick just patches, not updates. So, if you're not on OS 3.0.1, and I was on 2.x then it won't update. What you need to do is update the OS using the built in menu on the ATV, and THEN patch it.

I've now got 3.0.1 running, and have run patchstick and have a Software menu, but the items underneath it don't work, but I believe there is a way to fit that, but might need a bit of ssh to the box to do. I've got to shoot out to the Dentist, so will have a look when I get back.

I have been reading this thread and it's where I'll be looking when I get back.

Last edited by Markus; 01 December 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 04:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Back from the Dentist (two fillings, oral consult to discuss wisdom teeth extraction).

Right. Have a read of this. Specifically the section about XBMC. Basically, ssh into the ATV, then download the launcher by issuing this command:

NOTE: You will notice the page say beta2 but my info says beta3. If you're using OS 3.0 then you need beta2 (not sure if beta3 will work with that, presume it will) if it is OS 3.0.1 then you need beta3, otherwise you'll find that once you have download XBMC/Boxee it won't run, you get some error saying to press play/pause to reboot your ATV.

Code:
wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
then make it executable via this command:

Code:
chmod +x Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
Then launch it via this command:

Code:
./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
When it asks for a password use "frontrow" (without quotes, all lowercase). then answer "Y" when it asks about rebooting Finder.

You should see a new menu named Launcher, under this select downloads, then XBMC (and/or Boxee if you have a Boxee account) and download the non beta version, follow the instructions and then you should be able to simply select XBMC from the Launcher menu.

You'll also notice a Software menu which does not seem to work, but you can fix that by having a read of this. I'm going to do that shortly so will report back.

** edit **
Ok, my problem with XBMC not running was indeed due to me using beta2 and not beta3, I've updated the info above, plus tried beta3. When I select XBMC from the Launcher menu, It displays the apple logo and reboots into XBMC

Now to update software menu.

Last edited by Markus; 01 December 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 05:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, SoftwareMenu updated and working. I followed the info here.

I used Cyberduck to copy the SoftwareMenu.frappliance item to the root of my home folder, then I ssh'd into the box and issued the following command:

Code:
sudo cp -R SoftwareMenu.frappliance /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Plugins/SoftwareMenu.frappliance
if asked for a password, enter "frontrow" (without quotes, all lowercase).

then I issued the command

Code:
sudo reboot
to reboot the ATV and the SoftwareMenu appeared and seems to function
Old 01 December 2009, 05:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Markus you're a star

I'm just waiting for the wife to come home in the next 15 minutes with my shiny new AppleTV

Once the kids have gone to bed I'm going to take over the TV and have a play

Appreciate your help

Hanley

Old 01 December 2009, 06:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No trouble whatsoever. It's given me the chance to plug the thing into the new TV we put in the bedroom, and I'm now thinking about NAS so I can share movies with my XBOX, which also runs XBMC, and the ATV via XBMC.

Any questions or probs, just post/pm/email me and I'll try my best to help you out.
Old 01 December 2009, 06:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One other thing, if you're plugging it into an HD compatible TV and you get XBMC installed, go into Settings -> Appearance and change the Skin to PM3.HD. It looks lovely.
Old 01 December 2009, 09:02 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

It's syncing with my I-Tunes library at the moment which looks like it's going to take a while

Old 01 December 2009, 10:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yup. It can take a while. You can of course setup sharing and ensure iTunes is running on the computer and then use the shared music option to stream the music. If you put xbmc on there then you can also stream by sharing out your music folder and set it in xbmc as an smb share. This is how I have mine set up
Old 01 December 2009, 11:08 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Okay, everything is synced and I've created the patchstick.

The wife was mega-impressed with the picture slideshow so she's been sat for nearly an hour just looking through pics.

I'll start the modding tomorrow