Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Redsnow to BLACKRA1N info

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2009, 06:37 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redsnow to BLACKRA1N info

Im abit confussed with this so could somebody point me in the right direction, im currently trying out Redsnow running software version 3.0.1 im wanting to test out the BLACKRA1N how would i go about this is it a case of restoring to 3.1.2 then running BLACKRA1N? also how do i back up all my numbers? cheers in advance

Last edited by w13dle; 01 December 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 07:00 PM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

You'll have to fully restore using iTunes, which will update to 3.1.2. Then go to the blackra1n site and click the button. If you unlocked via redsn0w, I'd wait for 3.1.2 to be unlock compatible otherwise you'll be stuffed.

If using blackra1n for iPod Touch, make sure the iPod is still jailbreakable with Blackra1n.

Make a note of all your JB'd apps too because they will ALL be lost!

Hope this helps mate.
Old 01 December 2009, 07:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First major thing of note. If you want to unlock then do NOT upgrade to 3.1.2 using Apple's normal update method, you'll want to use Pwange Tool to create a custom IPSW file, this can only be done on a Mac (or you ask someone with a mac nicely to do you one ). The advantage here is that you'll have 3.1.2 software, but not the updated baseband, which if you did the normal update would be updated and you'd lose the unlock.

From what I recall, the unlock with Blackra1n is tethered, meaning that if you need to reboot the phone, wether you do it manually or it's battery dies, you need to connect it to a computer and run blackra1n before it'll boot. Not handy if you aren't near a computer. Hence why you might want to go the pwnage route.

I used blackra1n on my 3GS, which is running the official 3.1.2 update, as I don't need the unlock, but did want the jailbreak.

Any reason why you want to use blackra1n? I thought the dev-team updated ultrasn0w to work on 3.1.2, or perhaps I'm wrong. I know they did update it recently, but not exactly sure what that was for.

Good point from Mart about making sure you have a copy of the IPA's for any additional apps.
Old 01 December 2009, 07:48 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

The latest version of Blackrain works perfectly with the latest 3.1.2 firmware and the latest baseband.

Blackrain isn't tethered.

Just run the blackrain app, (on your Mac or PC) takes a few seconds to do its magic.

Then all you need to do is launch the blackrain iphone app, select that you want to unlock and hey presto, jobs a good'un.

I've run this in many a phone with no issues.

However if you want an unlock now, just visit the O2 webpage and request an official unlock (free if you are on contract) and then a few weeks later iTunes will unlock your phone permanently.
Old 01 December 2009, 08:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I thought blacksn0w was tethered, perhaps only for the new iPhones with the updated bootrom though?
Old 01 December 2009, 08:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You're right Marcus, new 3GS iPhones need to be tethered every time you restart them.

Personally I just filled in a form on the O2 website and now have a factory unlocked 3GS, I think all you need is the IMEI and a O2 sim card.
Old 01 December 2009, 08:52 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

ah yes, the new bootrom, indeed you are correct about the tethering bit. But that will only be 3GS's from the last 4-5 weeks.
Old 01 December 2009, 10:24 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info chaps im even more confussed now ive got a 3gs which ive had a few months so im unsure on the updated bootrom you speak of, i dont need to unlock it, i was just looking to test out a new jb, mines running fine but its asking for alot of updates now from 3.0.1 using Redsnow eg carrier settings & 3.1.2 update & i wondered what the best way to go about this would be? cheers Mark

Last edited by w13dle; 01 December 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 10:39 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay to run blackrain to jailbreak and unlock network on an original iphone 2g running on 3.0 ?? want to update to 3.1.2 and then unlock network as well as jailbreak, can anyone confirm that jailbreak will unlock a 2g iphone to all networks ??

long story but phone is actually unlocked / jailbroken just now but having a few issues due to having an old version off cydia etc installed and will not allow me to update - errors data 1/ data 1 . have been advised that I should update to the latest 3.1.2 upadte and this will get rid off the jailbreak and allow me to re jailbreak it with blackra1n but again just need confirmation that blackra1n will indeed unlock a 2g phone to give all networks ??
Old 01 December 2009, 10:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Am on iPhone at present so will confirm later, but am sure that blackra1n will jb and unlock all the touch and phone devices
Old 01 December 2009, 11:06 PM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

AFAIK Blackra1n will not unlock the latest Touch.

I haven't yet used blackra1n and am still running 3.0. All I do with the iTune pop ups saying update blah blah blah is simply hit Cancel.... Sorted - no need to worry about new jailbeak lol

if it's already jailbroken, I don't see the point in upgrading considering apples updates don't really add much difference to the version before... Mainly updated to screw over dev-team by filling the last found hole etc.... Just leave it as it is
Old 01 December 2009, 11:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If these are UK phones then why not just get them officially unlocked?
Old 01 December 2009, 11:19 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

No probs as I say having probs updating Cydia and also installing the " hackus path for installing apps -keep getting port 1/port 2 errors.

not sure what you mean by wont unlock the latest touch ?? unlock and ipod - tell me more ??!! you mean the iphone 3g ?? tethered jailbreak on the latest 3g with blackra1n I belive ??

If i do leave it as it is any idea how I could uninstall cydia and reinstall the latest version then ??

Last edited by jono300; 01 December 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 11:39 PM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

Yea, my bad mate. No jailbreak for latest released Touchs.

The new cydia would be designed around the new apps for 3.1.2 and you'll probably find that they wouldn't work too well with anything under 3.1.2, maybe??

As for hackulous errors... They're being a pain in the **** now, what with their stupid Troll Bridge on Appulous/Installous.

Legal unlock for UK phones is ok, yea... But jailbreaking does more than that, plus unlocking it yourself feels better
Old 03 December 2009, 06:57 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

The easy solution for a UK iPhone owner is:

- Unlock free of charge, courtesy of O2: Unlock my iPhone - iPhone

- Jalibreak 3.1.2, if required, courtesy of Blackra1n

Thereafter, you can use any network SIM and run any apps....