Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a NAS drive login problems

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2009, 10:08 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a NAS drive login problems

I have just got a NAS drive which I have plugged into my router. I can login and access the web browser software. The PC can see the drive in Windows explorer but when I double click it to access the drive its asking for a username and password. The username and password are both "admin" but its not letting me in.
I am getting a box with windows security please enter a password to connect to storage. The options are enter password for jerlaptop\admin or use another account. If I enter the password admin it does not let me in.
If I use another account I tried \\admin and admin for the password which gets rid of the \jerlaptop bit bit it still does not let me in. It must be something easy but I just can't figure it out.
Im using windows 7.
Old 02 December 2009, 04:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you might have to set up local accounts on the NAS box (if it has them)_

if you use pcname\admin to connect-- the PC will pass the credentials for your PC's admin account which, because you are presumably not in a domain will not be recognised by the nas box

you can get around it by using "pass through" authentication

make sure they are in the same workgroup and create two identical accounts

or set the security on the nas box shares to anonymous access and enable the guest account on the NAS box

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 December 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03 December 2009, 09:29 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Thanks hodgy, its very strange I can access it on my wifes laptop running Vista but not not on mine running Windows 7. On my wifes laptop all I do is run \\storage\public and login. With mine it comes up with two options login with Jerlaptop/username then password or use a new login. When I click on it it comes up with login with Domain: Jerlaptop so I try \\Admin and it clears the bit that says Jerslaptop but its still not working. I will try creating an account on the NAS with the same details as my Windows account.
Old 03 December 2009, 12:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yep -- i think the basic problem is that when you present your credentials from Windows 7 it behaves differently to Vista

because I doubt you have a Windows Domain -- the credentials passed to the NAS box must match a user on the NAS box

you must not assume that because you have a user on your laptop called admin it is the same as a user called admin on the NAS box bacause it isnt (and different to you wifes laptop too)

as far as the NAS box and your PC is concerned that are two different accounts
Old 03 December 2009, 04:19 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I just want to smash it up now. It's still not working. Any ideas:

Its saying domain Jeremylaptop but im in Default "Workgroup"

Last edited by Jer; 03 December 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03 December 2009, 05:30 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Yes, got it working. Still don't really know what I did. I created a user Jeremy and a folder Jeremy and it left the passwords blank and it let me in. Now it also lets me into the public folder.
Old 03 December 2009, 09:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i bet if you put storage-6bcb\admin, in the username section then the admin password that is set on NAS box in the password section it would connect you

the dialogue box showing the logon page is just dislaying what you are logged on as -- it knows nothing about the nas box - apart from the hostname you are connecting too

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 03 December 2009 at 09:52 PM.