Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sharing media with multiple devices

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2009, 07:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing media with multiple devices

Afternoon/evening all.

I have been thinking about this for a little while, and Hanley has spurred me on with the AppleTV thread as I've unpacked the ATV that was sitting in my cupboard and connected it to the TV in the bedroom. I've also modified it to run XBMC.

I've got an original xbox in the living room, and it's modchiped to allow me to run XBMC on it. I have also upgraded it's hard drive to a capacity of 320GB and I've ripped DVD's that I own to ISO and copied them onto the new drive, I've also downloaded the odd tv show, typically from thebox.bz, and it's usually older tv shows that aren't on dvd (The Paradise Club and Spender being two. I know, not exactly high quality stuff, but things I remember from a while back and wanted to re-watch).
Another reason for the rip of DVD's is that the DVD drive on the xbox is, I believe giving up the ghost and I don't really want to buy a new one, if it's possible to do that.

What I'd like to be able to do is view my media on the xbox and the ATV and perhaps even on my laptop (or maybe even my iPhone, but that's taking things a bit too far ).

I don't think I can stream from the xbox to the ATV, I know it does not act as an SMB server, only an SMB client, so that is out, plus ideally I'd like to have the media on something that isn't the xbox.

I have been thinking about what options are open to me. I need a network based device with large capacity, accessibly via at the very least SMB, so that the ATV and xbox whilst running XBMC can access the media.

Ideally I don't want it to simply be a large HD hanging off my iMac which I share out via SMB, which is something I could do, but as said, not really what I want to do.

I'm thinking that perhaps a NAS setup would be ideal in this situation. Maybe a 2 drive enclosure with two ≥1TB drives in it, probably RAID something or other too.

Thus the question really is, what options are available to me and what would be the best solution for me? I do have an old compaq machine sitting here that I could stick *nix on and chuck in a couple of drives and then hook it up to my network and use it as a server, but would that be any better than a NAS?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.