Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Outlook Express Problem - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2010, 01:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Outlook Express Problem - Help Please

I have used OE for years - currently OE6 with Windows XP.

Now when I send e-mails the mail seems to be sent but doesn't clear from Outbox Folder and is not shown in Sent Folder. I have checked if messages are actually going by sending a test message to myself.

But with messages being stuck in Outbox folder they go out again every time I go to Send/Receive (and I have no way of being sure if they have actually gone to recipient).

So what do I do please?

Many thanks, David
Old 24 September 2010, 03:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

move forward to the year 2007 and use something more up to date?

seriously do people still use outlook
Old 24 September 2010, 03:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
move forward to the year 2007 and use something more up to date?

seriously do people still use outlook
very fecking helpful
Old 24 September 2010, 03:46 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

If Outlook Express is not actually able to contact your outgoing mail server to send the mails then you should see the error when you do a send/receive. Does that happen?

Who is your email provider? Are you sure they haven't changed their mail servers?
Old 24 September 2010, 04:07 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

sorry but outlook is such a goliath of akward sluggish ways to do things, change to google apps or some other such cloud system and never look back!

I used to run outlook/thunderbird and every other mail system they are all pants and they all have problems like the one you mention and then as soon as you try to use the same mail account on 2 different computers.......kaboom!
Old 24 September 2010, 04:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK guys, thanks.

I use OE because it has been fine for what I have needed for 10 years. I tried to download OE8 but it jammed everything so I went back to OE6. I readily admit that IT is not one of my strong points.

I recently got a laptop which my daughter has "borrowed" with Vista and mail stuff that goes with it which I found a nightmare.

Other mail programmes have been suggested but when I asked on here about losing all the info in my OE folders I got conflicting information so not wanting to take a chance I stuck with OE. Microsoft said they could help but wanted 46 used onecers which I haven't got at the moment!!

But back to the problem. ISP is Plusnet who weren't much help. Single mails seem to be sent and received by recipient (I ahe tested with friend) but do not get moved to my Sent Box (and I have checked this options in Tools) but stay in Outbox Folder. So next time I go to check my mail (Send/Receive button) they get sent again. Of course I can delete them to avoide double sending but that still doesn't give me assurance that they have actually been sent. They have been straightforward text message of small file size btw.

Can I simply download a "patch" or a new version of OE6 perhaps but would I lose all stored info if I did?

Cheers, David

Trending Topics

Old 24 September 2010, 04:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Not sure what you're saying there. When you hit 'Send/Receive' do the messages end up in your 'Sent Items'? *IF* they end up in 'Sent Items' then as far as OE thinks, they've gone.

Haven't used OE for years - but I still use Outlook 2000 on XP (yes, people still use it. I did go to Thunderbird but I couldn't synch my phone with it - contacts or calendar - without a lot of hassle. With Outlook it just works .....). In 'Tools/Options' (with Outlook anyway) under 'Mail Delivery' there is an option to 'Send messages immediately'. Does OE have this and is it checked?

There is also the option to check for new messages every 'x' minutes.

Dave
Yes & Yes (every 30 mins with bleep

d
Old 24 September 2010, 06:38 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

It seems you're not alone.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3757121.php

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...-outbox-2.html

How many items have you got in your sent items?

Might be worth moving these to a new temporary folder in your inbox, then deleting the outbox.dbx and sent items.dbx as it says in the links
Old 24 September 2010, 07:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LostUser
It seems you're not alone.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3757121.php

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...-outbox-2.html

How many items have you got in your sent items?

Might be worth moving these to a new temporary folder in your inbox, then deleting the outbox.dbx and sent items.dbx as it says in the links
Yeah that's exactly the problem so I can't thank you enough. I have been using my Sent and Inbox as record keeping folders for a long time now. I did clear out some but obviously not enough. I'll go through the advice on the links carefully but not sure at the moment what this .dbx stuff is?

Thanks again, David
Old 24 September 2010, 07:53 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

I used to use OE but about a year ago i switched to Gmail, 7.5Gb of storage and the ability to d/l from other POP3 accounts (i have a few ISP email addresses also collecting into the Gmail account).
Google Chrome is also a very good browser, switched from Firefox about 18 months ago and it enables things like your bookmarks to be synced over different PC's / laptops so whatever you add / remove on one will be the same on another PC / laptop.
Old 25 September 2010, 10:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave,

I have now moved hundreds of files from my Sent and Inbox Folders to new sub-folders and named them accordingly. Ideally I would like to move most of them to an external hard drive but how do I find the files in Windows so I can move across? I think I also need to know this to find the .dbx files that are mentioned in the link that Mr LostUser provided.

Have a good day as they say

David
Old 25 September 2010, 10:17 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Question

Dave - pushing my luck I know but since you know your way around OE do have a quick answer to this question?

How do I send the same message to several different recipients but without the mail showing which other recipients it has been sent to? A mail shot thing I guess. Only talking about a dozen or so recipients, not a mass mail shot. And I have looked everywhere to find out how to do this btw.

d
Old 25 September 2010, 10:22 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

The option you want is called Bcc (Blind Carbon Copy). It normally appears under the CC field. sometimes you have to enable the field to see it.
Old 25 September 2010, 10:24 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

and this might help you with the .dbx issue

http://www.recover-outlook-email.com/finddbx.htm
Old 25 September 2010, 10:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
The option you want is called Bcc (Blind Carbon Copy). It normally appears under the CC field. sometimes you have to enable the field to see it.

I've tried that but I think you need to put a main recipient in the "To" box which rather defeats the object and you can only use bcc box if all the other recipients are listed in your address book which is a real pain?

David
Old 25 September 2010, 06:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again, Dave.

I have been trying out a few things since your mail and made some progress on mailshots.

This is probably blindingly obvious but I didn't appreciate it If I put my name in "To" box then all recipients realise that they are just getting copies of something sent to David Lock whereas I want them to think mail has gone directly to them. But if I title myself "The Sales Manager" then "To" box will just seem like it's addressed to their Sales Manager or whatever.

I don't want to input all recipients into my address book but I have found that once I have done a single bcc in address box window I can than type in further bccs directly into message.

The only drawback that I have found is that I don't have a copy of the bcc recipients anywhere.

Does that make sense?

David
Old 25 September 2010, 08:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I don't think there is a magic answer so I'll look around as suggested. Cheers, David