Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Do we have any vista experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2010, 10:06 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we have any vista experts here?

A neighbours bought a 2nd hand lappy and it still has the original users on it. Apparently it has been refurbed, yeah right.

Now it doesn't have the windows sticker on it so I don't have the original OEM keys either.

Is there anyway to add a new user so I can access the system or am I looking at a complete reinstall?

I tried a couple of hacks last night but to no avail.

My last resort is to give him my legit copy of vista and buy a new windows disk for myself if I need it (I hardly uses the dual boot system its installed on).
Old 27 September 2010, 10:19 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

There's software that you can use which will obtain the reg key , don't know the name but 100% know it exists , should come up in a quick google search.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:31 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Should add I tried Orphcrack last night to no avail to get get the users passwords.

Ideally I'd just like to get access to the machine so I can set up a new admin (me) and a new user (him) and can the 2 existing users off.

Judging from the 2 avatars, it looks like the machine belonged to a couple of 17 year olds, so haven't a clue whats on there.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:43 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I'd be inclined to wipe the disk.
You don't know what's on it currently and if there is anything 'dodgy' you could end up doing time for it, you wouldn't be the first.
In addition you will inherit any viruses and malware etc.
I would never 'trust' the contents of an inherited disk, it's just asking for trouble.
Sorry this will be more work for you, but it's the safest way forward in the long term.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:52 AM
bobbybb1
Scooby Regular

Try searching for "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" to find your windows key. Then wipe the system and re-install using the key you found.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:55 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sheepsplitter
I'd be inclined to wipe the disk.
You don't know what's on it currently and if there is anything 'dodgy' you could end up doing time for it, you wouldn't be the first.
In addition you will inherit any viruses and malware etc.
I would never 'trust' the contents of an inherited disk, it's just asking for trouble.
Sorry this will be more work for you, but it's the safest way forward in the long term.

I did discuss this very senaro last night with his fiancee, who funnily enough is a cop!
Old 27 September 2010, 12:33 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
I did discuss this very senaro last night with his fiancee, who funnily enough is a cop!
In that case you need to be doubly safe.
A friend of mine bought a second hand PC years ago and ran it for 2 years before running out of disk space and deciding to do a spring clean. When he started looking at what was in some of 'space consuming' folders he was quite disturbed to find he had been sitting on a stockpile of child **** for the last 2 years!!