Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 7, tell me about it.

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2011, 08:51 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windows 7, tell me about it.

My PC's spec is as follows
Intel Dual Core 2 1.8GHz
2Gb of Ram
1TB HDD
and its currently running Windows XP service pack3. Thats about all i know about it, its a Dell Optiplex.

Will Windows 7 work on this computer and what are the benefits?
Old 01 June 2011, 08:54 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Will it work? Clicky!

What are the benefits? Clicky!
Old 01 June 2011, 09:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
Will it work? Clicky!

What are the benefits? Clicky!
Cheers dude!

Sounds more like sales speil though, wouldn't mind some advice from people who actually use it.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:01 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you use your computer for James? why do you want to change anyway. new bells and whistles? i was using win7 ultimate and found it to be great. that was on a AMD 4800+ with 4GB RAM, and an nVidia GT6600 video card. Had a win experience score of 5.2/7.0. not bad for a 6 year old computer. i think your rig would struggle a little bit TBH. if it is slow do a fresh install of XP with SP3 slipstreamed. dare I say it but you can find loads of WIN XP iso files in the usual places. it will certainly speed up your computer.

An alternative is LINUX which is what I am using now and its free. No drivers, any downloads are from a single repositry and everything just works. no video codecs, no messing about to get video streaming across the network and its fairly fast. Most of the LINUX version allow you to run a "LIVE" CD to test it out without having to install anything. If you like it you can install over windows or dual boot with windows. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 on my big rig and a nice version of LINUX Mint on my crappy laptop. I have to say the Mint version is not unlike Windows and runs very nicely on the laptop.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:02 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It makes Vista look like the piece of crap it really is and makes you realise what the next step up from XP should of really been like.

Moved from XP a couple of years ago to this and never EVER looked back.

You would need to crank the ram up to get more benefit, but let's be honest..... whilst XP works, it is an aged OS that will soon become a relic. Vista is not an option imo, so it would need to be WIN7. In all honesty I would probably wait until your PC dies, until waiting to upgrade. You probably won't see any real benefit on that spec, as I assume your use is fairly low rent.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:16 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
as I assume your use is fairly low rent.
just like his caravan
Old 01 June 2011, 10:21 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
What do you use your computer for James? why do you want to change anyway. new bells and whistles? i was using win7 ultimate and found it to be great. that was on a AMD 4800+ with 4GB RAM, and an nVidia GT6600 video card. Had a win experience score of 5.2/7.0. not bad for a 6 year old computer. i think your rig would struggle a little bit TBH. if it is slow do a fresh install of XP with SP3 slipstreamed. dare I say it but you can find loads of WIN XP iso files in the usual places. it will certainly speed up your computer.

An alternative is LINUX which is what I am using now and its free. No drivers, any downloads are from a single repositry and everything just works. no video codecs, no messing about to get video streaming across the network and its fairly fast. Most of the LINUX version allow you to run a "LIVE" CD to test it out without having to install anything. If you like it you can install over windows or dual boot with windows. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 on my big rig and a nice version of LINUX Mint on my crappy laptop. I have to say the Mint version is not unlike Windows and runs very nicely on the laptop.
I'm not actually sure i do want to change to be honest just seeing whats what. I was literally given this PC for peanuts via a friend who works for a computer refurbing company so thought i'd take a punt. Its got a fresh install so is actually running quite quickly in comparsion to my laptop!

The main use is going to be for surfing and file sharing. I'm wanting to make this the central hub so i can share files to my laptop, Xbox360 and forthcoming blu-ray player plus sharing printer etc with the lappy. Nothing major really!

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2011, 11:32 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

then stick a version of linux on it. its free and does everything win xp/win 7 does with no reg keys or window genuine advantage pop up boxes. not worth upgrading to Win 7 if thats all you're going to do. make sure it has a decent network card in it. 100Mbit will stream 1080 no probs.
Old 02 June 2011, 12:00 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

If you plans are to use the box for nothing more than storage - I would highly recommend FreeNas, it needs a small amount of *nix / IT know-how to set it up, but is a cracking job. I run two of these from 512Mb SD cards one primary the other as backup. Both are on lesser spec hardware than you mention. Once configured it will run headless, so can be tucked away in a cupboard or roof space or wherever.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 02 June 2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02 June 2011, 08:53 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I can second Ubuntu Linux it's great!

Win7 will probably slow your computer down because of the spec of your computer. You might as well keep XP since you don't sound like you know what you're doing and Linux might just confuse you.
Old 02 June 2011, 01:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I moved fro XP to W7 months ago and haven't looked back, very good operating system to be honest.
Old 02 June 2011, 01:46 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

and if you look around, you can get it at a very good price
Old 02 June 2011, 03:07 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes it will work but as above 4gb is better

Im actually typing this on my work laptop os which has 2 gig ram core i5 and win 7 ENT

works ok apart from **** lotus notes that they use now that is total and utter babba
Old 02 June 2011, 04:32 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

lotus notes....ouch... feel for ya fella. would rather use notepad than that POS
Old 02 June 2011, 04:39 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell me about it, when i took the job 3 years ago, if they had said your gonna be using notes id have probably not taken it.

Its ****er than ****e, after using outlook for ever coming to this is bad.

I have used the notes connector for outlook but its dire and bombs alot.

Fingers crossed for Exchange in the future, but not that easy when youve 91000 users LOL
Old 02 June 2011, 05:57 PM
KeethTeeth
Scooby Regular

one word....

Jolicloud

nice little o/s google it enjoy
Old 02 June 2011, 06:00 PM
KeethTeeth
Scooby Regular

Win7 will probably slow your computer down because of the spec of your computer. You might as well keep XP since you don't sound like you know what you're doing and Linux might just confuse you.
Thats where Jolicloud comes in perfect for low spec laptops and desktops
Old 02 June 2011, 07:59 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I find notes to be pretty good.
Old 02 June 2011, 08:21 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

I find notes to be pretty good.
say whhhhaaaaaaattttttt !!!!!!! when did you escape the psychiatric ward mate its the crappiest piece of PIMS software on God's green earth. on a power with Window ME. a complete abortion that should never have seen the light of day IMO.
Old 03 June 2011, 05:15 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
just like his caravan
Don't forget the daag