Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Tablet?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2011, 05:59 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Which Tablet?

I am considering getting a tablet and have played around with a couple in the shops, but I would like to get an idea of experiences using these devices on a day to day basis (non-work). Having looked at the iPad2, I am genuinely impressed with this device, very slick and responsive. However, I can't get over how uncustomisable the device is. Also I don't want to be tied into iTunes and have my whole music collection convert for iTunes. If I'm honest, I don't really know too much about how this works and how it would affect my existing MP3 player. On the other hand there are many accessories for the iPad and loads of apps and is the best built device I've seen to date.

I also had a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and was also very impressed with it and IMO the screen is slightly better that the iPad too with better colours and brightness. Also it seems it is far more flexible in what you can do, especially with the various widgets. I like the Android device's flexibility and the fact browsing experience on the internet is identical to my laptop, it is possible to enable and disable Flash on the browser for instance. I also looked at the Asus Transformer and the Motorola Xoom and Acer Iconia Tab A500. All pretty similar due to Honeycomb OS, but have to say the Galaxy was the best of the Android devices I've seen so far with it being very slim and light. I also hear that the next generation of Android tablets are due to appear with quad core CPU in November so may wait a little longer to see what these devices are like, but may be cost prohibitive.

Now I appreciate that each device have their own fans, and no doubt it could possibly turn into another Apple/Android bashing session, but I am genuinely interested to hear your views/recommendations since I am in the market for one now and could be persuaded either way.
Old 29 October 2011, 06:02 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Played with both Ipad2 and Samsung Tab and have to say the ipad is very slick but for everyday use i'd have the Samsung, just so much more fun IMO.
Old 29 October 2011, 06:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Obviously I'm going to say buy the iPad, the main reason being that apps for Android tablets are in their infancy, it's taken years for the variety of apps on the iPad to equal the iPhone, by the time Android apps are up to scratch you'll need a new tablet.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:20 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Well, as the iPad has almost 70% of the current tablet market share - and Android based devices are circa 25% - which would you seriously choose?

Virtually no-one has made a success of a tablet - Android based, WebOS based, Windows based, or anything else - other than the iOS based iPad from Apple.

I'm far from an Apple fan, with a houseful of Windows and Linux based PCs - owning only an iPhone (as it's a superb smartphone) and an iPad (which I bought for no real reason, and now love it) - but how could you buy anything other than an iPad?

The only contender, as far as I can tell, MAY be the Amazon Kindle Fire (due to Amazon marketplace behind it, etc.) - but it's not available in the UK.

You pays your money...

DN
Old 29 October 2011, 07:45 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Obviously I'm going to say buy the iPad, the main reason being that apps for Android tablets are in their infancy, it's taken years for the variety of apps on the iPad to equal the iPhone, by the time Android apps are up to scratch you'll need a new tablet.
I think you're right as I see lots of comments that there aren't may tablet specific apps for Android tablets (compared to Apple apps) and most of them are phone apps that have been "upscaled". My kids will most likely use the tablet for a few games too, which I'm sure there are plenty from the App Store. I'm sort of hoping that the next generation of quad core android tablets will still be compatible as the Android tablet app market continues to mature. Tablet apps are a factor, but I think the tablet will mainly be used for web browsing , watching video and listening to music. It won't replace the laptop as I use that, amongst other things, to sync my MP3 to my MP3 player (wary of iTunes) and backup/edit photos from the camera.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:47 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of guys at wk have gone for the Samsung.....(recon units with 1yr warranty from Ebay £280 delivered).

Great bit of bit I have to say
Old 29 October 2011, 08:07 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Well, as the iPad has almost 70% of the current tablet market share - and Android based devices are circa 25% - which would you seriously choose?

Virtually no-one has made a success of a tablet - Android based, WebOS based, Windows based, or anything else - other than the iOS based iPad from Apple.

I'm far from an Apple fan, with a houseful of Windows and Linux based PCs - owning only an iPhone (as it's a superb smartphone) and an iPad (which I bought for no real reason, and now love it) - but how could you buy anything other than an iPad?

The only contender, as far as I can tell, MAY be the Amazon Kindle Fire (due to Amazon marketplace behind it, etc.) - but it's not available in the UK.

You pays your money...

DN
This is what I am thinking too, Apple pretty much have the tablet market sewn up and is a mature platform. However, the Android market is growing fast, though this may be driven by phone rather than tablet at the moment but Android has the backing of Google. This is why this factor alone could be driving the Android tablet market with many vendors all starting to releasing new tablets; there is now a common hardware (NVidia Tegra chipsets) and software and I really think that this market is going to grow massively.
Old 29 October 2011, 09:43 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

question for the pad owners. im seriously considering buying one as a present to myself in December. is there any way i can link my ipod tto the pad to sync it to itunes or is it not possible?
my initial thoughts.are it can't be done but it would be a major selling point if i can?
Old 30 October 2011, 12:01 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Main issue with the iPad is that it is single tasking for a apps.

When I got mine I did not put it down for months...

...then I got an Air and the iPad has had a lot less use.

For single tasking, read/play the iPad is brilliant.

As a device for complex tasks or write then use a proper 'puter!
Old 30 October 2011, 08:20 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Anyone used a kindle fire? They look quite good.
Old 30 October 2011, 12:47 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Main issue with the iPad is that it is single tasking for a apps.

When I got mine I did not put it down for months...

...then I got an Air and the iPad has had a lot less use.

For single tasking, read/play the iPad is brilliant.

As a device for complex tasks or write then use a proper 'puter!
So could you not, for example, surf the web or read an ebook whilst listening to your music or watching a video on youtube/BBC iPlayer on the iPad?
Old 30 October 2011, 12:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yes you can, one thing on screen at a time.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:27 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

So it's not possible to have multiple windows on the iPad? I for example sometimes watch iPlayer and surf Scoobynet at the same time on one screen on my laptop. Thanks.
Old 30 October 2011, 07:43 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Jack is it possible to link an Ipod to an Ipad in order to transfer music to the Ipod, as I do with a laptop?
Old 30 October 2011, 07:51 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm waiting to see what the Kindle fire is like........UK retail is £130 from memory. About the same as the Archos 10" ...

That's if Amazon are alowed to launch it here.

Shaun
Old 30 October 2011, 08:22 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Jack can you tether your iPhone to an iPad none 3G and make it 3G?
Old 30 October 2011, 09:17 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I'm waiting to see what the Kindle fire is like........UK retail is £130 from memory. About the same as the Archos 10" ...

That's if Amazon are alowed to launch it here.

Shaun
The kindle fire does look impressive, wasnt aware they had announced any uk release dates though?
Also I don't think the Amazon appstore has been launched outside the US yet
Old 30 October 2011, 09:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
question for the pad owners. im seriously considering buying one as a present to myself in December. is there any way i can link my ipod tto the pad to sync it to itunes or is it not possible?
my initial thoughts.are it can't be done but it would be a major selling point if i can?
The only way to do what you describe it sync the iPod to iTunes and then iTunes to the iPad. My single instance of iTunes syncs 2 iPads and 3 iPhones.

With regards to the multitasking: iOS 5 is slightly better. When you are in an application you can swipe-up with four fingers and switch to another running application at the bottom. Or swipe to the left / right to see the last applications running. Not seamless, but the screen is too small to have many things running on it at the same time.

For me, iOS 5 made both the iPhone and iPad more usable and when in full screen you can see incoming messages and (on the iPad) the aforementioned swiping for swapping quickly.
Old 30 October 2011, 09:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Jack can you tether your iPhone to an iPad none 3G and make it 3G?
Yes.
Old 31 October 2011, 07:13 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Your iPhone can make a wifi point too.
Old 31 October 2011, 08:47 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

boxst
what i want to do is have an pad instead of a laptop but from what you are saying it doesn't seem possible?
Old 31 October 2011, 09:39 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

If you're prepared never to update the OS, you need never connect iPad to a computer. I think my iphone4S activated over 3G even.
Old 31 October 2011, 11:12 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
boxst
what i want to do is have an pad instead of a laptop but from what you are saying it doesn't seem possible?
It certainly isn't possible if you want to sync your iPod.

Although iOS 5 allows activation without a PC, it is still a pain without any kind of PC (or Mac) to connect to.

Very difficult to sync music, movies etc... you are relying on purchasing things from iTunes.

Steve
Old 31 October 2011, 12:23 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I updated my ipad to ios 5 at the weeked and I still feel a bit ...."meh"

browsing is not great on it (if you use more than 1 window), email is pants, screen brightness can not be turned down low enough for me, expensive and no flash

plus points battery is very good, well built and good quality

but i had a good play with a new android tablet at the weekend and everything seemed much better including the price all the basic apps that you use are better as well (gmail/email browser (million times better) youtube app is better etc
Old 31 October 2011, 12:26 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

actually, i have just decided I am going to sell it 32gb 3G going cheap!
Old 31 October 2011, 12:28 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPad...item1e68083e06

Reason for sale

I simply want a Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Old 31 October 2011, 12:33 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of you looked at the Asus tablet pc
Old 31 October 2011, 01:02 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
This is one of the ones I am considering, supposed to be one of the better Android tabs and very customisable, you can even overclock the processor. Also has Gorilla glass which is supposed to be the most scratch resistant glass on any tabs. I'm waiting for the announcement for the Asus Transformer 2 Prime which is quad core and comes with Android 4.0. Though it may prove too expensive, however, it should lower the prices for the Transformer 1.
Old 31 October 2011, 09:29 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!

I may have to look more closely at the Galaxy Tab, a quick browse on Amazon shows the wifi version is litterally within a few pounds of the similar spec Ipad which are the versions I would buy.
A tough choice, I love my Galaxy S2 but I do fancy trying an apple product, more research required
Old 01 November 2011, 06:31 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Yes, got a 32GB Transformer with the keyboard dock. Early days yet but impressed so far.

Quick Reply: Which Tablet?