Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BF3 on Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2012, 07:20 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF3 on Xbox

Been playing this for a little while now on multiplayer/online..... Anyone got any advice on how to gain better guns etc?

I still seem to have the basic weapons, apart from an upgraded pistol I believe. I keep blasting away at other players but they seem to take much longer to die than me lol.

Do people cheat or do you simply have to play it for hours and hours before you start to make progress/obtain better weapons?
Old 01 January 2012, 07:29 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

" I keep blasting away at other players but they seem to take much longer to die than me lol."

Join the club --- i have the same prob!!

My advice would be to find a map u like - learn it well, and the points will come.....
(it does take time...)
Old 01 January 2012, 07:31 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

It doesnt take that long, number of kills unlocks new weapons or accessories. Try doing the co-op missions as they unlock weapons as well.
Old 01 January 2012, 08:18 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Yes people do cheat. They use hacks............to see through walls for example so even if you hide they know where you are, aimbot which automatically aims for you, etc., etc. That`s why I stopped playing MW3 so quickly!
Old 01 January 2012, 08:27 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

It's just a case of putting the hours in, I played it loads when it first came out but have gone off shooters generally except gears of war 3
Old 03 January 2012, 01:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Best way to rank up is to play TDM as your likely to get more kills and points in a shorter round time. Unless your totally rubbish

Im getting a bit hacked off with BF3 (PS3 here) - when its good its great but last few days Ive been unable to connect to the UK servers which seems to be a common problem. All thats left is the Official DICE ones which are laggy as hell and have poor hit reg. Even the UK ones are often lagged out by someone from US / Mexico / Japan playing on it. You go from being to easily kill 2-3 people with one rifle mag to struggling to take down one with an entire clip.
Old 04 January 2012, 01:54 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Not sure of the maps on consoles (suspect the same) as I play on PC. I believe the consoles have less max players on servers so my methods may not work as well.

It's taken time levelling up, but I'm in a good place now where I can make decent score per minute. I am a poor shooter so I have to rely on capping and using the other class based features to make points. I leave the firefights for others and support them instead (with all classes, not just Support).

I partciularly like the large map, like Caspian Border on low server counts (say 24/32 players), as a small team cannot defend all bases, so you run round to the nearest enemy flag and cap that. Likely the enemy is somewhere else (capping your base?). OK not much shooting, but a decent points haul.

Metro has several choke points on Conquest. Mainly the ticket hall, but also the far end of the platform. Play it on a large server. Once you have medic plus grenade launcher, pads and medi packs, just stick around healing/reviving people and lobbing grenades towards the enemy. Likewise playing support, drop ammo packs. Or Recon, drop a Tugs close to the choke point and a radio beacon slightly further back (and squad up with some shooters). It's not a lot of points, but they get used while you can concentrate on shooting.

For an engineer I did a lot of repairing in the early days (not even driving/shooting). If you have a careful (read not gungho) tank driver. He'll stay out of the heated action and be shooting from a distance/occasionally capping. He'll get hit sometimes, but you'll be there to repair and gain points.

I'd also say concentrate on one weapon/class. As you can get some of the extras for the weapon and it makes it easier to kill with (scopes, grips, barrels, etc). I found also that completing the co-op missions gave me a couple of weapons that were more powerful then my current class weapon at that rank so I utilised these to further leap ahead.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2012, 02:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I personally think the engineer offers you the most opportunities to score points unless your playing Metro which suits Assault healing/revivies & Support resupplies due to people being in the same areas. Managed to get my first >10k points rd (pre award) the other day on Seine Crossing.

Make sure you blow up all enemy tank mines now you can see them on your minimap. No idea why people still use them but hey its free points for me - every 2 you blow up you get a 200pt ribbon.

Best thing to do when you join a server is make sure you in a decent squad that is offering squad perks as a) it means the are a decent rank rather than complete noob and b) If everyone is using a different perk you get the lot. I always go for explosives a priority as means an engineers in my team get 9 rpg/smaw rounds which comes in handy for battling with tanks.

Stay away from flying planes as minimal points. Even flying gunships doesnt net you much unless your a decent pilot and have a gunner who actually kills stuff. Its easier to score big points in the gunner seat tbh.

Tanks are my favourite for racking up points but takes a lot of practice - top tip is to keep on the move to avoid the C4 suicide bombers. I use reactive armour, guided rocket and thermal vision. The RU's T90a is far better than the US M1 Abrams imho. Its handy to have a comnpetent gunner and even better a 3rd passenginer on CITV station to laser paint enemy vehicles & choppers. Its so much fun to take out choppers with the laser guided rocket from your tank. They dont know whats hit them half the time.

Did chuckle the other night on Kharg. Picked up my tank from the landing craft, drove up the first hill saw the enemy gunship flying (not stationary) past the offices flag and fired main cannon. Shell dropped so fast I though no way it would make it but up pops 2 dead guys courtesy of my tank Would have loved to hear their voip chatter.
Old 04 January 2012, 08:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic & Miniman - you guys sound like pro's, I ain't got a clue about most of what you said, lol

I tend to use the snipper the most, which probably aint the best, but thats mainly because I can make the few kills I can from a distance. If I use an engineer or whatever I tend to get zapped far too quickly as I have to get close to the other players which at the moment I don't seem to stand a chance with.

Think I need to get playing it some more!
Old 04 January 2012, 09:10 PM
Paullen
Scooby Regular

I've been playing for a bit, got fed up of COD! Getting used to BF3 slowly!

I'm not in any teams, if anyone fancies a game my gamer tag is 'Paullen'
Old 05 January 2012, 07:38 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt say pro just spent a fair few hours online. Sniper/Recon class is almost useless imho - the rifles are only any good once you unlock the double pull bolt so you can reload quicker and get your 2nd shot off as otherwise you can only kill with 1 shot if its a headshot. Only thing Recon is good for is mobile spawn beacons to make sure your team has a backup spawn point to the flags / M-COMs. That said it is good when someone deploys a soflam which laser targets any enemy vehicles & aircraft meaning any laser guided weapons you have lock on a lot quicker. I generally play engineer on CQ mode and if I see someone at range I pull out my RPG / SMAW which is pretty effective. Id say some of my longest kills have been with the RPG and I have over 1000 kills using both.

The best advice I can give for closer range fighting is a) jump in a tank or b) try not to move too much. I dont mean camp in one spot but unlike COD if you run and gun you will get spotted and killed. Try and only move when needed as a still person is hard to see - in fact its easy to walk straight past / over them if they havent been spotted. When taking enemy flags drop to prone, hide behind something as you can be sure the enemy will be searching for you. If you take heavy damage in a fight hide up whilst you recover otherwise your a sitting duck.

Make sure you stick with the same primary weapon and unlock the decent upgrades like foregrip to reduce recoil and one of the better optical sights - my personal faves are the Reflex Red Dot and the Kobra RDS. The easiest assault rifle to use is the Famas in my opinion but its only available in assault class. Glock G18 is a good sidearm for close quarters - just aim at the enemys torso and hold the trigger down
Old 05 January 2012, 09:04 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I played BF2 online as a mate raved about it...

Utter tosh

I was always killed with a pistol from miles away, but couldnt drop anything with a barrett sniper rifle!!!!

All about levelling up...WTF

I gave the game away......

Mart
Old 05 January 2012, 11:38 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Never played BF2 but that sounds nothing like BF3 as you have no chance to pistol shoot anyone at range. The play is a lot more tactical and the maps a lot larger if your coming from MW. Teamplay really is the only way to win unless your playing muppets. I defected from MW and played the BF3 beta and found it hard at the start but once you adapt its a lot more rewarding. Plus you get to fly around in jets & choppers and rule the ground in tanks and armoured vehicles.
Old 05 January 2012, 06:25 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Not a pro a such there are people with far more points and play time than me. Also I realise I can't shoot for toffee. In COD:MW that caused me issues, but there are more options for team play and doing other things in BF3. So go do them and rack up points.
Old 06 January 2012, 11:23 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

So how many points would you say you have to get before you start earning Half decent upgrades/better weapons?
Old 06 January 2012, 11:45 PM
grinch6301
Scooby Regular

I love bf3 bought cod played it for 5 mins and it's been in its box ever since.
Old 07 January 2012, 12:34 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
So how many points would you say you have to get before you start earning Half decent upgrades/better weapons?
scroll down for points needed

http://www.battlefield3gamer.com/battlefield3ranks.htm

(that list may be out of date......!)

Last edited by albob; 07 January 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08 January 2012, 01:30 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
scroll down for points needed

http://www.battlefield3gamer.com/battlefield3ranks.htm

(that list may be out of date......!)

Cheers for that - looks like I got some serious work to be doing, lol
Old 08 January 2012, 07:39 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

found a bit more for u

http://thebigeclan.com/index.php?page=bf3_ranks
Old 08 January 2012, 08:15 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Im on level 25 and played 40 hours online upto now ;i use mechanic on maps with aircraft and tanks and medic on the maps without like metro ....reviving your team earns you quite alot of points.
If you played or play cod forget it quick as this is totally different that games for 10 year olds running around ;slow with your scope up is the way forward ;
I dont really use sniper only when im getting bored .
I also play conquest as it earns you 500 points by capturing a flag 250 for turning it neutral and 250 for capturing
Old 08 January 2012, 08:52 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

just got an xbox and looking at getting this, played the demo on the ps3, what is the xbox like for hacks?
Old 09 January 2012, 05:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
So I have to get another 37 colonel service stars just to get some gold wings
Old 09 January 2012, 05:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Dunno bout XBOX but its sound on the PS3. Not come across anyone obviously cheating. Few glitchers as always like the hope on a mates MAV (aerial reconnaisance drone thingy) and fly up to a normally impossible to reach spot, place a spawn beacon and camp out. Best dealt with by changing to support and bringing the mortar out.
Old 09 January 2012, 06:47 PM
grinch6301
Scooby Regular

I wish it was that easy to get my brown wings
Old 09 January 2012, 07:02 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby

I still seem to have the basic weapons, apart from an upgraded pistol I believe. I keep blasting away at other players but they seem to take much longer to die than me lol.
That could also be caused by lag.
Old 09 January 2012, 09:40 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
So I have to get another 37 colonel service stars just to get some gold wings
you are doing a bit better than me !! i've just reached Rank 25 !!

I absoultely loved bf2142 (probably because it was my first experience of online gaming..)
This game is beautiful in appearance, but, it just dont grab me in the same way sadly
Old 10 January 2012, 01:17 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
That could also be caused by lag.
This is the most annoying part of the game. I get games where I take a full clip to kill someone yet somene else kills me with first burst. Other games I mow people down 3 at a time with ease.

Went around a mates sunday night and he had it going on his old old LCD tv (I play on monitor via HDMI to DVI converter). A) The game looked better I thought - might just have been brighter and B) OMG I could kill people with easy on my very first game - was mowing them down with an LMG. Ive tried everything with my BB setup and it seems to get better but then back to worse. Will try a different router next.

Then we have the issue that you cant always connect to UK servers without getting stupid error messagesa bout checking your connection. If it was just me Id think my BB was playing up but loads have it and works fine to next non UK server.
Old 17 January 2012, 07:33 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

how alot of ppl rave ona bout it gets me, the lag seems awful and buildings etc seem ever so bland, i tried to get into it but can`t and the weapons console is unintuitive, i dont know how to add the red dot site even though i`ve gained it i think.

thats why i like mw3, the graphics arent as sharp but they are bright and clear ,i find i`m always straining to see on bf3, the weapons console is simple, its just easier to play