Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Comet selling pirate software...oops

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2012, 05:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Comet selling pirate software...oops

"
Microsoft is taking electronics retailer Comet to court for allegedly creating and selling more than 94,000 sets of counterfeit Windows CDs."

http://www.itpro.co.uk/638119/comet-...ng-windows-cds

Oops

TBH it looks like they were supply recovery disks for PCs supplied without any media (i.e Tosh, HP, Lenovo etc). Fair enough IMO....I'm sick to hind teeth of computers being sold without any recovery media. Recovery disks are bad enough, but at least its something incase a hard drive goes belly up or is replaced.

These automatic recovery disk creators are hit and miss at best - I tried to use one with a new Lenovo PC (as it demanded me to do on the startup screen) and all it did was spit out a load of drink coasters
Old 05 January 2012, 01:00 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most have recovery partitions now don't they, but some still put the bloatware back on it at the same time GGRRRRRR.....and if the Hard Disk is borked not much use.

I remember my mate had one which booted up Ghost and ghosted Windows 98 onto the machine, thing is you could use it on various machines not just the one it came with.

Yeah VERY annoying when machines don't have any recovery media supplied.