Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iMac newbie

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2012, 10:54 AM
dazzr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iMac newbie

Hi folks, took the leap on Saturday and bought my 1st iMac!!
Bit of a jump from my 6 year old dell laptop but my god it's amazing!!!!!!!
Just wondering if any1 could give some tips, tricks and guidance really,
How can I connect my iPhone and iPad to it with out losing everything on them?
I plugged in my camera yesterday and transferred all the pics over, no probs, but it only seemed to have half the pics from my iCloud there? Also tried uploading the new pics to iCloud but just said uploading without actually doing anything?
Also can you name some good apps?
Cheers guys ;-)
Old 16 January 2012, 11:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The first tip I would give you is to post this in Computer Related
Old 16 January 2012, 11:15 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

the iCloud is just a con. You've been using the "cloud" for years without even knowing it. its just a catchphrase word like "mega" and "multimedia". **** macs get a PC (powerful 6-core) and run a MAC emulator (i run OSX10) on my Windows7 PC and it runs like a rocket. Get the best of both worlds without all of the cost.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:37 AM
Codders
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done mate!

Another converted one haha
I've been working for Apple Tech support for the last 5 years (now as a senior in enterprise department) and I'm encouraging everyone to convert into Macs

First of all visit http://www.apple.com/uk/support/
you can find almost everything over there, including some video tutorials on "how to"

If you connect your iPhone/iPad and sync with new iTunes on your mac - it will erase music and Movies on your iOS devices, as iTunes on mac has no music yet. This concerns only Music and Movies, because Apps purchased from App Store can be easily transferred (connect the iPhone, CTRL-click or right click on it in iTunes and select "Transfer Purchases")

If you had your iPhone/iPad previously sync with your Windows PC - in order to avoid losing stuff on your iPhone/iPad - you should transfer your entire iTunes content library from PC to the Mac.
You can follow these instructions : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527?l...ewlocale=en_GB
and I would advise you to select the option of transferring data by using External HDD.

-Alternatively you can use 3rd party software which will copy music and movies from your iPhone/iPad and put it directly into your new iTunes library on your new mac. One of the good and simple to use ones, is Senuti http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

Regarding pictures, I presume you're using iPhoto? If you're using Photostream with iCloud have a look at this youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kOw1AxofM

BTW on youtube you can find many tutorials about mac as well. Just enter the question into the search box

a simple advice would be: Keep your system uptodate and install all available updates. Apple menu > Software updates.

-if you have more questions you're welcome to pm me mate.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:49 AM
BLOB EYE
Scooby Regular

im not a senior in the enterprise department of apple, but if you copy the iTunes in the my music folder on your pc and move it to the music folder on your mac then open itunes. none of your idevices syncronised previously on your pc will be wiped, i have a master folder on my imac and i copy it to my wife's laptop and my work pc. that way i can sync where i like and when i like

Last edited by BLOB EYE; 16 January 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:52 AM
BLOB EYE
Scooby Regular

another is grab vmware fusion, its on a special deal at the moment and then get a windows vm up and running. that way you can revert back for those things apple cant master yet that are on windows but enjoy mac, its only people that cant use one properly that bleet that windows is better.

you dont need crazy cpu's and amounts of ram if the OS is designed correctly and i have more microsoft letters after my name than i care to remember but im a convert
Old 16 January 2012, 04:27 PM
dazzr1
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys guys, 'codders' no doubt I'll be in touch lol