Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LAB / VOIP issue - baffling!

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2013, 02:10 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LAB / VOIP issue - baffling!

Title should read LAN, not LAB, sorry!

Chaps, still having issues at the factory..

I don't understand this. We have an IP phone (Cisco SPA540G) connected to Netgear Router DGN1000 by Cat5E.

The router is showing green lights from the front panel- but showing 'no link' from the UI.

None of the connected PC's can get an internet connection (as suggested by user interface) - yet the IP phone's working fine.

There are no other boxes for the IP phone, it just goes through the router, so I'm completely baffled!

Last edited by RRH; 20 March 2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 21 March 2013, 12:36 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

One likely explanation is that your DNS is broken, but because the IP-phone doesn't need to resolve anything for its connection, it works and the PCs don't. The easy way to test that is to try putting something like this in your browser and see what happens:
http://87.248.112.181

If you get an actual website like this:
Sorry, the page you requested was not found.Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

rather than just the browser error page, you know DNS is the problem.
Old 21 March 2013, 09:21 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

That makes sense, will check later. Thanks
Old 21 March 2013, 10:58 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Worth logging onto the router via your browser usually something like; 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
Have a look at the logs on the router as well, plus check all settings. It could be the VOIP phone is on a DMZ IP address (I.e sits on an address outside of the router and has no firewall or anything to do with the extra router settings). The rest of the PCs could be using DHCP? Or are on fixed IP addresses which cannot talk to the router. Worth checking the PCs can ping both the routers IP of either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 by using the cmd command in windows.
Also worth checking the settings on the PCs such as IP,Subnet, DNS and if needed a Gateway.

On windows use the DOS/cmd syntaxs of ipconfig
on LINUX/UNIX/MAC use a terminal and use ifconfig

Each of these will show the network adapter settings for you

Last edited by jpor; 21 March 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 21 March 2013, 11:11 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
One likely explanation is that your DNS is broken, but because the IP-phone doesn't need to resolve anything for its connection, it works and the PCs don't. The easy way to test that is to try putting something like this in your browser and see what happens:

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

This is probably right or you have a default gateway issue to get off subnet
Old 21 March 2013, 01:24 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

ping and traceroute time, to IP's and hostnanmes
Old 25 March 2013, 11:00 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd

Ok, if I try with the DNS set to 'dynamic, from ISP', the request times out.
If I use the DNS supplied by the telecoms people I get the Yahoo failsafe page you suggested.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for your help
Old 25 March 2013, 12:48 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

After a bit of fiddling, and swapping routers, I now have IP phone AND internet... but http://87.248.112.181 still takes me to

Connection appears stable at the moment, although gmail, in particular, is very slow
Old 25 March 2013, 12:48 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

After a bit of fiddling, and swapping routers, I now have IP phone AND internet... but http://87.248.112.181 still takes me to

Connection appears stable at the moment, although gmail, in particular, is very slow
Old 29 March 2013, 01:09 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH

You had the answer already in post #7, your DNS needed to be manually set (it just so happens that you used the one supplied by your telecoms people, but any valid public DNS address would have worked just as well). Normally your router should pick this up automatically and pass it on to the PCs, but for whatever reason that obviously wasn't happening. The page you're seeing at http://87.248.112.181 is the one you're supposed to see.

With regards to your latest problem, slow internet is always much harder to diagnose remotely than completely not-working internet, as it's a far more subjective and relative thing. It's something I'd normally not even try to do without a packet-trace from the affected system or network, but, at this particular point in time it's quite possible the cause is completely external to your connection anyway. Tough it out a couple of weeks, and see if it gets better or worse, or if other specific sites start having problems.
Old 03 April 2013, 11:22 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, definitely seems DNS related.
I'm still having issues with the laptop- I'm using it right now posting this, but I can't get on gmail at all!

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03 April 2013, 06:00 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Thanks for that, definitely seems DNS related.
I'm still having issues with the laptop- I'm using it right now posting this, but I can't get on gmail at all!

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help.
Which browser, or browsers, are you using, and which version of Windows do you have on your laptop?
At what point exactly, from when you type gmail.com in your browser address bar, does the whole thing fail? Before you even get to the page where you'd normally type in your user ID and password, just after you type them in and click the button, or at some point later than that?
If you've only tried to get to gmail by clicking a link, try using the address bar.
Can you get to any other HTTPS websites? For example https://www.mozilla.org, https://www.ripe.net, or your online banking website (assuming you use it)?
Old 08 April 2013, 11:41 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Sorry Mark, I missed your reply.

I'm using Chrome, although the problem seems to exist with IE as well. Windows8 on laptop.

I've got the same prob this morning as usual- every website I try works fine (albeit a little slow) - apart from gmail!

I can't actually get to the login page- "This webpage is not available
Google Chrome could not load the webpage because mail.google.com took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection."

If I try reloading it does the same. It was fine from home an hour ago, and if I tether to my iphone it's fine, so has to be related to the conection in the factory?

This was what was happening last week- then, all of a sudden, it works just fine and the problem disappears.

I've changed the router's DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 to see if that helped but no change
Old 08 April 2013, 02:30 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

use Microsoft Lync

Cisco ****e
Old 08 April 2013, 02:36 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The phone's are ok- its the internet connection, more specifically its elationship with gmail, that's the issue.

What's really p*ssing me is that it just seems to get its act together and work after an hour or so!
Old 08 April 2013, 02:50 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

DGN1000 denotes you're going out via dsl to the internet, if you have issues with other https services also, then your problem could be MTU size related.
Old 08 April 2013, 02:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ok- it's set to 1432 at the moment
Old 08 April 2013, 05:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Sorry Mark, I missed your reply.

I'm using Chrome, although the problem seems to exist with IE as well. Windows8 on laptop.

I've got the same prob this morning as usual- every website I try works fine (albeit a little slow) - apart from gmail!

I can't actually get to the login page- "This webpage is not available
Google Chrome could not load the webpage because mail.google.com took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection."

If I try reloading it does the same. It was fine from home an hour ago, and if I tether to my iphone it's fine, so has to be related to the conection in the factory?

This was what was happening last week- then, all of a sudden, it works just fine and the problem disappears.

I've changed the router's DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 to see if that helped but no change
OK, what happens if you go to the main Google page, click on Sign In, then click the Gmail link from there?