Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Are computer games getting shorter?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2013, 12:17 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are computer games getting shorter?

Are they?

I spoke to a friend about the new Tomb Raider game on Thursday evening, he said he was thinking of buying it. Speaking again today and he's completed it. I've only played it for a few hours and I'm rattling through the levels okish with very little thinking.

I can remember playing Tomb Raider 2 for weeks on end... I actually don't think I completed it as some of the puzzles were pretty difficult.

Now either games are getting shorter, dumbed down or we're getting smarter. What is it?

Also the girl they've got voicing Lara Croft is the worst voiceover actress ever.
Old 25 March 2013, 12:34 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I just completed it and was disappointed at how easy it was. Too much video, not enough challenging gameplay. I don`t think we`re getting smarter, just try and get through TR 4 without reverting to a walkthrough.
Old 25 March 2013, 12:37 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Yep they put too much time into how games look and not how they play!

Tomb raider is a good game but I agree a little short. Games don't seem to have any replay value in the past you would unlock a new game mode so you re play the game from the start.
Old 25 March 2013, 10:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Last one I played was 3 hrs and cost 10p
Old 25 March 2013, 10:41 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Most of the major publishers do it now with their big-name, well established games - a Tomb Raider title doesn't need to be exceptional or push boundaries to sell by the bucket load, people will buy it regardless because its Tomb Raider. Besides, they don't want you to get more than 8h out of a game otherwise you might not buy the DLC they release two weeks after the initial launch or the next big game they're bringing out Much like the last few COD titles which have really just been a bunch of new maps and guns for £40.
Old 25 March 2013, 11:27 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I disagree. Tomb Raider is a 12hr+ single player campaign, even if you're playing on 'Easy' and not concentrating on collectables. A proper, exploring playthrough and collectables cleanup is a good 18hrs+.

They've changed the game to refresh it and give it more mass appeal; meaning dumbed down puzzles, but improved combat, action and level variation. Very successfully IMO. Plus you have the addition of the multiplayer aspect which consumers demand these days adding many, many more hours gameplay. Great value if you ask me.

I think Tomb Raider is a poor example, but I have seen cases of very limited single player campaigns in preference to adding multiplayer modes and chargeable DLC - so I'd agree there though.
Old 25 March 2013, 11:43 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

I wasn't really talking specifically about Tomb Raider to be honest, just using it as an example - perhaps not the best. Its a shame they saw the need to give it more mass-market appeal, the original was a refreshing change from the Doom-clones that were around at the time and was much more of the 3d puzzle platformer than a shooter (other than the odd wolf or bear!) which made it stand out a bit.
Old 25 March 2013, 12:07 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Agreed, 'some' games are very short, but on the flip side, some are extremely long, especially if you take into account collectables, sub - missions, playing on harder difficulty etc etc.

If you want a game with good longevity, try FARCRY 3. Best game I've played for a long time. S h I t e multiplayer, but the single game will last you hours and hours.
Old 25 March 2013, 12:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

yeah def getting shorter, sniper ghost warrior 2, 4 hours to complete, pretty disapointed with it tbh, stuck with whatever guns you have (pretty much anyway) and no sence from if your spotted or not, ca be right next to them and they dont see you, or can be miles away yet in same stance yet they see you :S
Old 25 March 2013, 02:14 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Yea, especially main missions on games, I guess they have to put so much in to graphics etc...
Old 25 March 2013, 02:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I have the latest TR, and it's deffo not as long as some of the originals.

On the plus side, she has the best **** in this one

Joking aside, most games conecntrate on the MP side now, with SP given only lip service. TR is mostly SP, so it's considerablt longer than somethinglike COD on SP.

Hopefully the new BioShock will be as long as the original, which was huge.

Geezer