Notices
Current World Events Events happening in the world today

How long before this Country blows its top?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 12:55 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How long before this Country blows its top?

As with all offices, people discuss current events and view their opinions to each other.

I've found over the last few months that the topic of our conversation has been either illegal immigrants or the poor justice system in this country.

I read with horror about the poor little boy hit by a car and the resultant penalties handed out (thanks B2z).

I just wanted to gauge the general feeling of where do you see this country in say 10 years time. The general concensus here is that too much is being done to favour minority groups which, is indeed applying more pressure on the majority of the populous to conform or just "roll over".

I cant see the general population lying down forever and taking this sort of abuse from various parties. How long before some real nutter gets voted in to the House of Commons because they are the "peoples choice".

.................................dont laugh, its happened before !!!!!
Old 10 February 2004, 01:35 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

what u have to remember is that we (the public) only really get to hear about the extreme ****-ups when it comes to the legal system. we don't hear about the thousands of punishments which were correct (at least i hope there are some!!!).

how many times have you seen a "judge punishes person and everyone declares it a fair verdict" headline? it doesnt sell newspapers and is all too common so if published would be appearing multiple times a day. i'm SURE it must happen tho... a lot.

yes, there are howling bluders like the recent immigrant hit-and-run mistake. the guy should have got deported and life with no parole. i REALLY feel for the family of the victim. but do we really know the percentage of total punishments that there are public outcry over?

id think that this country (uk) is no worse than others at causing public outcry.

the uk nation is known for its inability to stand up for itself however... so the country blowing its top? unlikely imho
Old 10 February 2004, 01:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Milo I think wht he is getting at is the powers that be put the imigrants and spongers before it's own hard working nationals.

can you name another EU country that welcomes illegal immigarnts with open arms and houses them in hotels and builds housing estates to house them while they are processed?

I know for a fact Germany doesn't

England only gets more and more imigrants etc because it is seen as a soft target, and is easy to get in and harder to get caught.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:45 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Wurzel; would that be the same hard wking nationals who subsidise these imigrants & spongers???

Oh 'full on' cynical mode today!! :
Old 10 February 2004, 01:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The general concensus here is that too much is being done to favour minority groups
The problem comes when the (silent majority of) people that hold such corncerns have the temerity to voice their opinions they are immediately branded 'racist' by the Politically Correct Thought Police that seem to want to run our society these days. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

In answer to the question, I think it will be when the EU enlargement takes place. We will see a flood of economic migrants heading here from eastern europe to take advantage of our benefit and health systems that will make the current influx of illegals seem trivial by comparison.

I want out before it happens....

UB
Old 10 February 2004, 01:48 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i thought he was getting at both that and the legal system.

he and you are both right to an extent... but i have still yet to see any numbers for immigration.

what percentage of the people they're letting in are true asylum seekers, and what are just taking this country for a ride?

yes, i agree that we should deal with our own poor first... but given that the policy of this country is to accept asylum seekers... how much of it is the media hyping up "everyone coming in as an illegal immigrant trying to get something for nothing"? could it be that other countries' media DONT publish stuff like this, but it's still going on there?

dont get me wrong - we should be tough on illegal immigrants... but ive not seen any figures on how much of a problem it REALLY is.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:49 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Why do you think overseas countries, Spain, Italy, Portugal are filling up with Brits ?

If it weren't for family ties, I'd be typing this from a sunnier climate
Old 10 February 2004, 01:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Just this country?? How long till the world blows its top??? Humans seem pretty hell bent on screwing ourselves up. The boundaries between male, female, children, family unit, etc are all erodding. If you ask me Sick Boy got it right in Trainspotting when he said that one day there won't be males and females just *******!
Old 10 February 2004, 02:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

I think the world is changing! us Brits are fed up living in the cold so spain is slowely becoming the new England and the little island in the North atlantic formaly know as England is becoming the muppet forum, ie the dumping ground for all the dross.

Us Brits used to rule over a quarter of the world before we had to give it all back, we are now slowely colonising the rest of the world again. before much longer the whole world will be run by Brits again and all speak English except for that island in the North Atlantic where there will be much fighting and hostilary and nobody will understand a word anyone else says.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:14 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Good Stuff!

Milo, yes you do have a very valid point but as we all know the press has the ability to sell anything to anyone. After all if peeps are interested more in a pair of knockers on a television programme instead of current world events then they channel public opinion into anything!.................so what i'm saying is, whether its a huge problem or not, the press have the ability to manipulate public opinion.

Wurzel,

I know for a fact Germany doesn't
Have they learnt a lesson ?

Unclebuck, Yes i hear the current influx of illegal immigrants will pale into insignificance when this happens (which i believe will be over the next 5 years)

Cheers
Old 10 February 2004, 02:21 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I believe the UK has a moral obligation to help the genuine cases of asylum seekers. We are after all a relatively wealthy nation by comparison. If we had an effective system of checking the individual cases and ruthlessly refusing admission to those who did not qualify then most people would be happy. But obviously we don't have such a system. And it is the high-profile illegal immigrant stories which go a long way towards creating resentment and ill-feeling towards those genuine cases who have every right to be here. But, even more damage is done by the government's ridiculous policy of positive discrimination. As an example, my girlfriend is manager of a council-run OAP home. They recently had to close the drop-in day centre due to lack of funding. But now an Asian-only day centre has been opened, council funded of course. How on earth is this supposed to benefit the local Asian community??? Next council project - a Sikh only school. Is this really the way to go about integrating the different facets of society? There are enough idiotic racists in this country already, without the government giving the usually tolerant public cause to resent those who appear to be getting priority treatment.
Steve
Old 10 February 2004, 02:28 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Dear Saddam/Bin Laden/Pol Pot (insert name of dictator here)

I am a catholic and have just moved to your country, unfortunately I don't want to live under muslim law so you must build me a catholic church and I don't want my kids going to a muslim school and reading the koran and I also don't want to learn arabic.

I also want a pub built so I can continue drinking and partying.

as for housing I am not into the slum thing so we will need new houses built to our specification.

Thanks

blah

Dear blah

welcome to your new home

bang "door made of bars slams shut"

if you don't want to abide by our customs and laws you can stay in here.

Regards

Saddam/bin laden/pol pot (name of dictator)

Last edited by Wurzel; 10 February 2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A brilliantly well made point Wurzel
Old 10 February 2004, 02:41 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy second that....... how often do we hear the Ozzies branded as racial bigots and extremists??? u need a bleedin cast iron job in a good profession to even get in most of the time, yet they are a weathy nation will a tad more room than us!! Instead they focus on sport and self (country) promotion.

I am all in favour of the UK doing its moral duty in respect to blighted other nations, but where do u draw the line??? Are we supposed to watch Gang Land activerty become a multi-cultural center piece of this country from the fortress of our armchairs or will some like minded people with a backbone stand up and say 'enough is enough'

B2Z again spot on M8

Last edited by RichWalk; 10 February 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:47 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Bravo - I agree with that. But do bear in mind that a lot of legal immigrants do provide a lot to this country. Pay a visit to your local hospital and see how many doctors/surgeons/nurses are from different ethnic backgrounds. All paying UK taxes. Ok, many were born here so should not be considered immigrants, but many were not born here. Unfortunately I do not have the figures to hand, but you would be surprised to see the amount of revenue generated in the form of taxes from those who have migrated here from overseas.

Steve

PS - the above may come across as patronising - it is not intended to be, I just havent written it very well!
Old 10 February 2004, 02:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Wurzel & B2z,

Brilliantly put! So eventually when the talking stops and theres nothing left for the masses to say, what will happen?

As Unclebuck says it IS going to get worse!

The worry i have is that all members of a minority group will be banded with the illegal immigrant groupage........now thats dangerous!
Old 10 February 2004, 02:48 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The situation really has got stupid. I'd love to be able to afford a house, but theres no chance of that due to the current prices, which in turn are due to a shortage of housing, and oh I wonder if the massive influx of immigrants (illegal or not) has anything to do with this?

RB5320, yes its a rich country, but its not a charity. Taking all the poor people from poorer countries and housing them here at our expense hardly solves much.

Political correctness is to blame for so many of the problems in the UK today. I wonder how long it will take for this tread to get closed because the mod's are scared the non-PC content might offend some minorities? Its a sad situation.

Last edited by Petem95; 10 February 2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:50 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

RB5320

I think it was directed more at the none contributing immigrants, which is escalating
Old 10 February 2004, 02:55 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Petem95, ur probably right about closing the thread due to PC brigade, when barracked by the truely righteous, its generally effective to suggest these people band together, to finance house employ and feed these groups if they care so much!
yes this is OTT and not aimed at many people doing very worhwhile work with all areas of the community- its to the hypcrites living a comfortable lifestyle who are always the first up in arms about any social change which impinges on them let alone anything bordering on the topics discussed here.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:57 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

This is not our country anymore, it's a sad sad goverment!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 February 2004, 02:59 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

But haven't the British taken the complete pi55 in the past by landing themselves in loads of other countries and imposing their religeon/culture etc on the natives ??

I appreciate this was some time ago but not that long ago in some cases.
Old 10 February 2004, 03:03 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I am past caring now

Country has gone to pot, realised this and am just waiting for some MAJOR to kick of with the British citezins. Then I am buggering off to Barcelona to live forever and ever and ever.
Old 10 February 2004, 03:07 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Are, the 'old reap what u sow' arguement! Lota people would agree, maybe not the families who lost relatives fighting for this country in the last two World wars though, I cant quite see them looking at what weve become today and thinking 'it was well worth it' can you?
IMHO of course.
Old 10 February 2004, 03:09 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Claire

You say "MAJOR" specifically what do you think will happen and when. Is it something that has nibbled away at you over a period of time or a specific event.

As you have said, you will vote with your feet so your beliefs must be strong. Incidentally what criteria needs to be met to emmigrate to Spain?
Old 10 February 2004, 03:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I got fed up with the UK a while ago and have moved to Canada.

A major reason for me moving was the cost of housing. I for one cannot comprehend how anyone, who isn't already on the housing ladder, will ever get a house in the South East. The rest of the country is following suit.

Another major reason I left was that I feel the country is on a downward spiral. The UK seems to favour criminals and illegal immigrants over everyone else. The floodgates seems to be open to anyone who wants in. The welfare state cannot cope with the population we already have.

In the UK there are people who seem to spend every waking moment looking for things to take offence about. The Political Correctness has gone mad. When police officers are banned from using the term "flip chart" because it might offend Phillipinos, beggars belief. Canada has it's share of the PC brigade, but nothing as extreme as the UK.

I think there will eventually be some form of backlash against the state of affairs in the UK, but I think the vocal minority will shout the virtually silent majority down. Everyone is terrified of being branded a racist, and until it becomes possible to have realistic and rational discussions on issues such as crime and immigration, the UK will continue to slide round the U-bend. Maybe when the cost of welfare bankrupts the country - and all the undesirables naff off to another country - will there be any hope of recovery.

Here in Canada they are embracing new immigrants with open arms. One of the reasons that Canada is as wealthy as it is, is because of a huge influx of immigrants over the last 20-30 years. The trick is letting people in who will positively contribute towards the economy. In this respect Canada seems to have got it right.
Old 10 February 2004, 03:41 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Jerome

Is there a points system to get over there, have you got any details?
Old 10 February 2004, 03:43 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

some real nutter gets voted in to the House of Commons because they are the "peoples choice".
British citizens are becoming more and more restless, hacked off and ashamed. I was too, until I got to the point where I was fed up of arguing my point. 'do gooders' play a largly contributing factor to the conflict in this country. Because something may not seem 'politically correct' doesn't mean it is wrong, and our government won't take stance against it. Look at that dude who has had his sentance reduced after killing some poor little child. Tony and Co should make an example of him, but no, because that wouldn't be politically correct. His sentance was given (by the book some may say), HE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE IN THE COUNTRY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Another example being my 16 year old sibling is between jobs and is starting full time education in August. Fair enough. But when there comes a time when they need a perscription for some antibiotics, they don't get naff all! Then you see scum walking around, stealing every penny they can get from benifit fraud, illegal immigrants get houses and free healthcare etc when my sister can't even get some fooking cream at (not worth!!!)£6.20! Some fooking do gooder had the cheek to call me blinkered!

That was one rant, about such a 'menial' thing some might say. (Then I could go on and on about the NHS, Education, Taxation etc.) But there will, one day, be an uproar between those that are 'blinkered' and the realists. And this is when people will vote earlier said 'nutter' in. And I am going to watch from afar what those ***** get put through what they deserve. I have had family members fight and die in both wars, and survive too might I add. They would do the same thing as me, rather than live in this ******* joke of a country!

Thanks you for your time. Please don't shout at me.
Old 10 February 2004, 03:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Is there a points system to get over there, have you got any details?
Yes there is, and like Australia and NZ its pretty hard to get in

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

Quick Reply: How long before this Country blows its top?