moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default our country has dosh to spend on ****

but they cant buy armour for our soldiers

and they have enough money to support the war on terror and other crap

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...q_body_armor_1

Last edited by Redkop; 27 March 2004 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Moses just post the link and not copy and paste the article please.
Old 27 March 2004, 01:18 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

just noticed the above is usa but were having the same problems

no way im american aint my country im a scot
Old 27 March 2004, 10:22 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

At least the yank military aren't take privately bought body armour of soldiers & re-issuing it elsewhere to cover up their own f**k ups
Old 27 March 2004, 10:45 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

didnt know that story dude , thats a sad one
Old 27 March 2004, 12:04 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I'm sure this is a result of tax dodgers, thats why they have crap kit m8, lol. It makes me laugh all these muppets who think if we pay more tax it actually gets spent wisely. This is a prime example of how this government makes a mockery of fiscal spending.
Old 27 March 2004, 12:27 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Maybe Jye... if everyone paid their taxes - kits could be updated, thats logical thinking too
Old 27 March 2004, 12:32 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Maybe Jye... if everyone paid their taxes - kits could be updated, thats logical thinking too
LOL @ RK, I'll give you this, you deffo are an optomist, eheh
Old 27 March 2004, 02:05 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

government has enough money , compared to the **** they spend on im sure they can spend it in good use

they do sell alot of arms dont they to other countries im sure they can get armour for the soldiers
Old 27 March 2004, 03:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right i would like to point this out, this isnt body armour, its a flak jacket, there is a BIG difference, people refer to these as body armour (the US has the same type jacket) and if you get hit by a bullet all it will do is go straight though it (high velocity rounds will go though brick walls so a bit of plastic is no problem)
The only part thats protected really is the heart, that has a kevlar plate over the front and rear, it will stop grenade fragments though, and in most cases it will also stop fragments from artillery rounds/mortars. This is what it was designed to do, nothing else, its not bullet proof.

Tony
Old 27 March 2004, 03:04 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

hmm i thought it was bullet proof
Old 27 March 2004, 04:02 PM
ChrisB

My cousin's boyfriend has done a tour of duty in Iraq.

She was sending stuff out to him every week
Old 27 March 2004, 06:37 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

so its true then
Old 28 March 2004, 08:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
you deffo are an optomist, eheh
No, a realist.

Chip.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:37 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

No, a realist.

Chip.
OK Chip, so its because of scroungers not paying their full tax share (burden) that we canny provide our armed forces with kit? No offence m8 but can you point me to the evidence of this?

I'll name a few examples of white elephants and taxes that could have bought every bit of kit required, the Scottish parliment = £400 million and still counting, that old chestnut the Dome = £1 billion, all for a stupid freakin tent, the fuel protests = £670 million, Gordon Browns £5 billion-a-year Pension Tax, the £34 billion of public money for cleaning up waste left by the nuclear industry, the billions the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost, the recent increase in National Insurance contributions – another £4 billion a year from employers, and £4 billion a year on top of that from employees. I could go on and on but it makes me sick that my tax (and if you think I dont pay any thing again) is being wasted so they they can flush it down the pan.

So Chip, why the problems outlined by this thread are even happening? Why, after over 60 tax rises, and a 50 per cent increase in the tax take, are we faced with the prospect of even more tax rises in the future?

Oh I forgot, you think throwing even 'more' tax at the problems will help, silly me

We already pay too much tax, if you think we dont your completely bonkers

[edited to say I think this is an advert for the tories although I am deffo not a tory )

Last edited by Jye; 29 March 2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 29 March 2004, 10:56 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

lol nice pic
Old 29 March 2004, 12:49 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

It's not just about certain people not paying taxes (*******!) if the government pulled their heads out their ar$es and actually forsaw that there was going to be a war (not hard to notice really!!!) then they could have ordered the kit to be made in time for deployment of troops. It's not just a tax thing.
there was limited kit in the first place because of the government/ MOD obviously having better things to do.
through experience the vast majority call it body armour, the yanks have much larger front and rear kevlar plates. possibly cos they are so chunky

Last edited by ANDYUK300; 29 March 2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 29 March 2004, 12:56 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Errm, I think they sould have the kit whether there is going to be a war or not. They had plenty of time to forsee this was going to happen. Still, keep throwing your tax contributions to the real ******* without question, I'm sure they will use it wisely next time
Old 29 March 2004, 01:14 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

use it to build more **** buildings and statues that nobody really cares about. but not to worry the M.P's will be quite happy in one of the bars in the Houses of Parliament supping on their tax free booze. tw@ts!!!!!!!
Old 29 March 2004, 01:15 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Exactly.
Old 29 March 2004, 02:53 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye

So Chip, why the problems outlined by this thread are even happening? Why, after over 60 tax rises, and a 50 per cent increase in the tax take, are we faced with the prospect of even more tax rises in the future?

Oh I forgot, you think throwing even 'more' tax at the problems will help, silly me

We already pay too much tax, if you think we dont your completely bonkers
The tax burden as a percentage of average earnings has risen and fallen over the past few decades. In fact the % tax burden today is less than in Maggie Thatcher's term in office.

Tax Freedom day

So the suggestion that taxes in real terms are only ever ratcheted upwards is not correct.

As for flak jackets in the gulf, the MOD had procured enough for every serviceman/women there, in fact I think they had enough for 3 each. The problem was one of logistics. Originally the military planners had thought they would go into Iraq through Turkey. When Turkey refused they had to go to plan B, via the Gulf/Kuwait. There was a logistical SNAFU because the kit was in ships trying to get from Turkey around to the gulf and not all flak jackets got to those who needed them when they should have. I am not pro this govt, but before you go blaming them for that problem I suggest you read up on the facts.
Old 29 March 2004, 03:24 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
The tax burden as a percentage of average earnings has risen and fallen over the past few decades. In fact the % tax burden today is less than in Maggie Thatcher's term in office.

Tax Freedom day

So the suggestion that taxes in real terms are only ever ratcheted upwards is not correct.

As for flak jackets in the gulf, the MOD had procured enough for every serviceman/women there, in fact I think they had enough for 3 each. The problem was one of logistics. Originally the military planners had thought they would go into Iraq through Turkey. When Turkey refused they had to go to plan B, via the Gulf/Kuwait. There was a logistical SNAFU because the kit was in ships trying to get from Turkey around to the gulf and not all flak jackets got to those who needed them when they should have. I am not pro this govt, but before you go blaming them for that problem I suggest you read up on the facts.
Were talking stealth taxes and taxes like fuel. Who cares about 'average' earnings, no one I know earns average earnings, not up here. So are you telling me national insurace increases have put more money in my pocket, is my pension worth more. Where am I better off. I dont really care about statistics I just know I'm not better off and neither is anyone I know.

The old logistics story again, ho hum. Some people will believe anything. Was it logistics that made the treasury force the Ministry of Defence to hold only limited stocks of kit in an effort to reduce costs? Was it logistics that meant there was 40% too few nerve agent detector units? Was it logistics that caused them to get only one meal a day while they had to beg food from US troops? Was it logistics that meant that as many as 4,000 sets of a vapour detector used to monitor residual chemicals after an attack were unserviceable? Was it logistics that meant that there were no NBC filters for armoured vehicles to help protect the crew inside, etc etc. Thats some logistic problem for a country that had recently been at war and should have know the problems of desert warfare.

You can tart it up anyway you want but historically the British Government has always expected the utmost dedication and professionalism of the armed forces, but has been too parsimonious to pay or equip them properly.

As a serving soldier I do buy my own kit and equipment to supplement issued clothing as many soldiers do. When NBC equipment and body armour is concerned we have no option but MOD equipment and receiving a canister 15 years old (5 years out of date) isn't good news. That said my unit's moral was good throughout the war, we just get on with it.

John, Barnsley S, Yorks
I served in the Army for 20 years, and all during that time, myself and my colleagues bought a lot of our own kit, as that issued was never really up to the job. It's a sad reflection when our guys/gals buy a mixture of other countries' and privately made kit. I believe the MOD knows that service people will do this and therefore buy the cheapest priced kit, or don't issue it in the first place. As was said to me on many occasions...."if we've got it, it's the cheapest tender on the market"!!

Steve Schanzer, Cwmbran Wales
I have the utmost respect for the armed forces and have a few good m8's who serve in them. I know who I believe between you, the government and my m8's.

How many more quotes do you want, I could easily pull hundreds of them up. You call it logistics if you want m8.
Old 29 March 2004, 03:36 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

Brit in Japan,
sorry m8, forgot it was you at the sharp end and not myself.

PMSL @ 3 sets of body armour each

Last edited by ANDYUK300; 29 March 2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:34 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
Unhappy

Strange ive only just found this thread,

Heres another eye opener for you me and 50% of the guys in my unit crossed over the border with only 10 rounds of ammunition each, That was for the pistols there wasnt enought to go around. Its funny now but at the time we were pretty concerned as you would imagine.

The body armour well thats another story all together,

A day b4 we crossed over those of us that had the full set:

1: inner the kevlar material part
2: outer the sometimes if you were lucky desert DPM otherwise normal green camo.
3:Ballistic plates 1 front and 1 on your back

Had it taken off us, to give to the infantry, this is all well documented in the press.

Not that we didnt protest but we also felt for the boys on the ground so to speak, Im armoured. they were the ones going into the buildings.
but we multi roll and do their job also

like vehicle check points searches and the like.

Some of us thought to bring our training body armour ie no plates.

Some didnt have any after it was taken from us.

One of them being a freind of mine who happened to be killed because of the lack of it.

I cant say anymore than is already public knowladge as there is an ongoing investigation ATM.

Well anyway guys you have my 2p worth.

To end on a good note tho.

We are and will be receiving much better equipment in the near future.
just wasnt in time before.

mind you we are losing a lot of our tanks but thats another story,
ill save it till this thread runs out of steam LOL

Cheers guys
Old 30 March 2004, 08:56 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Glad you found the thread tankie, its better to hear this sort of info first hand from the folk like yourself, as Andy says at the sharp end. Perhaps the MOD and HMG will start listening for once m8.
Old 30 March 2004, 04:19 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

doubt it m8. never did any good in the past.

as i'm sure tankie will agree.

Last edited by ANDYUK300; 30 March 2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 30 March 2004, 05:25 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

No need looks like Britain is becoming a target from it's so called own people judging by the arrests made today
Old 30 March 2004, 05:46 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yeah i heard a lil earlier on, thats a sad one , they even found bombs i heard in the flats
Old 30 March 2004, 06:46 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Yeah angrybeats, but how long have they been UK citizens, 10 minutes max or legally 'fixed' by HMG going by the latest immigration cover-ups.