Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

TSL WRX

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 10:17 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking in Japanese Performance and TSL have done a great job transforming the WRX from sows ear to silk purse, but does anyone know how much it would cost to build a car to similar spec?
Flicking through an old copy of Evo, Scoobysport produced a similar looking and specced car (with more radical suspension) which got a terrific write up, but by the time you added the total cost together it was more than the current STi 7 Prodrive (and with 250bhp). Have Prodrive upset a few aftermarket tuners with the pricing or am I missing something?

[Edited by TurboBoost - 6/26/2002 10:18:56 PM]
Old 26 June 2002, 10:28 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Turboboost,

TSL are a really friendly crew. If you email Trouser at TSL (he posts everywhere on this forum) he will price the mods up for you.

Cheers

WB
Old 27 June 2002, 10:42 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Turbo Boost

The trick is to start with an Import car mate.. (@£17k). then even all the mods you see would leave plenty of change from the standard STi and make the car not that much more expensive than the UK dealer sourced WRX.

We can of course arrange the entire process for you.. even down to thr purchase of the car through to its transformation.

Please feel free to call me on 0115 9377200 for a good old chin wag

Cheers

Paul (the cheesy smiling one )
TSL
Old 27 June 2002, 12:09 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I agree with Trouser.

We have lots of customers that buy a WRX from Europe and have then get it fully loaded, making it a much quicker car than a standard STi.

I went to Catalunya with two of these customers and the difference in pace on the mountain roads was massive. After a 20 minute drive, we (modified WRXs) would have time for a smoke before the STis and P1s turned up. Two 01 WRXs were running 260bhp, one was 285.

But then if you look at it on paper, they would be quicker. They can use revs as low as 2500rpm through the very tight corners and are instantly on boost out of them. They have much better suspension so carry more speed through the fast sweeping bends.

As for braking you need serious brakes to be able to accelerate hard between the hairpins on a 20 mile long mountain descent

If you bought an import for £17,000 and went for full exhaust, Leda and KADs, plus a rear spoiler and Morettes, your total would be less than £23000 fitted incl vat.

And that's a lot of car for the money!
Old 27 June 2002, 12:14 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I should also add that we are also getting plenty of STi customers doing the same... and the result is a veeeeeeerrrry quick car
Old 27 June 2002, 04:28 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice chaps. Always good to see how a few carefully chosen modifications can transform a car, be it dynamically or visually.
Old 27 June 2002, 08:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

slightly off subject...but isn't it refreshing to see two competitors pulling in the same direction, rather than slagging each other off!

simon
Old 28 June 2002, 12:17 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

how about insurance costs? I assume the modded car would be heaps more:

ie modded WRX insurance vs standard STi?

cheers,
greg
Old 28 June 2002, 05:41 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Good point Greg...suppose it might vary depending on the insurance company.
Old 28 June 2002, 07:18 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

I have a modded WRX with about 280bhp via Scoobysport and cosmetics by TSL.

The insurance is cheaper than if I were to own an STI VII. I am 26 with full NCB no points and one no fault accident last year.

Nathan..

P.S. Pete is right its fairly rapid !
Old 29 June 2002, 04:19 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

How do you get that much horse power out of a standard WRX?

I have a full scooby sport de-cat (inc down pipe) ITG filter. What do I need to get 260 and 280 ?

Now I fancied selling mine to get a faster one, then I get some great news like this!

Tell me, tell me!
Old 30 June 2002, 11:32 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ID

Are you running a standard ECU ? If so then this really needs to be changed next. Or you could use something like a Dawes manual boost controler to up the boost slightly.

I am running a PPP ECU with full decat, ITG and a Forge VTA, going to the rolling road tomorrow so I'll post an exact figure afterwards.

There are lots of ECU options availible but the most common are Prodrive, Link, Motec and Unichip. Stick clear of Superchips IMHO although some people run them without problems.

Nathan..
Old 01 July 2002, 03:37 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

We obviously LURVE the Motec as an extremely safe and controllable way of improving driveability, torque and BHP. The figures quoted by Motec are very realistic... the real world driving experience is a "fast factory" feel. If you like all-or-nothing power delivery, you won't like the OE with attitude feel of the throttle map.

What is quite good sport is the number of STi 02 owners who drive our 02 WRX with it's Motec... and then look a tad perturbed and what might have been .

We agree with Pete on lots of things. He wouldn't have achieved what he has without doing the job right and his position in the market speaks for itself..... still prefer our back box tho

Cheers

trouser