Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Gatwick Parking Service Ltd. BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 02:34 AM
B4 Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Not only was I content with the price of £52 for a weeks garaged car parking near the airport with an extra charge of £27 for a valet, it also seemed like a good idea to get to the airport under our own steam.

Well, after a week of tanning we returned at 1am on Sunday picked up our car (very dark) all appeared ok, car was shiny and the interior was spotless.

Woke up next morning checked the car over (rather sad, do it most mornings) and found 6 deep scratches on the rear bumper looked like it had been scraped past a concrete post.

Contacted Gatwick Parking Service today to complain... Guess what if you read their small print it seems that they are not liable for any loss or damage whilst your vehicle is on their premises!!!

Whats the F***ing point in paying for your car to be parked securely at these places if they dont look after them??

So hacked off that I'm going to take them to small claims court.

Just thought Scoobynetters should be aware.

Old 16 July 2002, 02:57 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face

Warning I stooped at the Renniasance Hotel Gatwick they move your pride n joy from the place you parked it to a short term.
It was put under a tree when I picked it up the car was covered in sap and blossom. I reduced me to tears and nearly and hour of washing before see enough to drive it up the road.

Tony

Got a free dinner next time I went there and took the plug out the ECU couldn't move it then
Old 16 July 2002, 08:45 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Researched this previously. One off site firm told me that cars would be parked up to 20 miles away and then moved back to the airport on your day of arrival. Having seen the drivers at work in the car parks I would rather pay extra to park myself.
Old 16 July 2002, 09:15 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I used to use a similar service at Heathrow, where you drop your car off at the terminal and the guys then take your car to an off-site carpark. My old firm used to like it because it cost considerably less than using Heathrow's longstay parking. However, when I got the Impreza, I refused to use it anymore. The thought of 'Johnny no-stars' blasting the car at max revs to the offsite car park and then turning it off, letting the oil cook in the turbo was too much to bear

Chris
Old 16 July 2002, 12:24 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have them in court.

The term in the contract they refer to would be excluded by a court under the Unfair Contract Terms Act.

Basically no company can exclude liability for loss or damage to property due to their own negligence unless it is reasonable to do so. Implied into your contract with them will be a duty of care they owe to you or your goods.

Suggest you go to a library, get a law book and start quoting some case law to them.

Only problem is, you have to prove they damaged it. Without that you might struggle, but is worth a try.

Regards
IanF
Old 16 July 2002, 04:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd reccomend BCP parking, they park on site and are affordable....
used them many times with no problems.
Dan
Old 20 July 2002, 12:15 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Last time I flew from Gatwick, I did it the other way round. I found a place where I could park my car offsite and they then drove us to the airport a couple of miles away in a minibus. Came back two weks later and the car was fine and had even been washed. Only problem was the wipers were stuck to the windscreen which took 2 secs to sort.

Steve
Old 21 July 2002, 09:26 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up

BCP have always been good
Steve
Old 22 July 2002, 05:42 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Wasn't there a post a while back about airport parking and a guy who had his rare Porsche written off by one of these companies...
Old 22 July 2002, 05:44 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

And thanks to the search:

http://www.baparkingcrashedmycar.co.uk/
Old 24 July 2002, 11:46 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I used a similar place last year at Manchester airport. No problems except I got the feeling the car had been moved more than a few yards - rear wiper on, radio on, mirror adjusted etc. No damage to the car, I just got the feeling it had been scorched around somewhere.

I haven't used it since, and have always parked in the long stay and got the bus. Cost more but I knew it wasn't going anywhere. Last time I went there though, I returned to find the front bumper was smashed in. Some git had backed into it and I had to replace the bumper, indicator and foglight covers. Of course I never got to find out who it was and had to take it on the chin.

I haven't been to the airport for a while, but next time I'm getting a taxi !!