Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Subaru in Crawley - Gatwick Group

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2002, 12:57 PM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new Impreza WRX (although technically I'm waiting to see what the MY03 looks like).

On my way through Crawley on Friday, I dropped in to the Subaru dealership to see what they're like. I was just ambling around the forecourt, checking out a silver WRX 4-door they had up for sale. I'd only been there a couple of minutes when a salesman joined me and we got chatting. He sounded quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the product and he was pleasant to talk to. I left with a brochure and his card, left him with my details, and this morning I received a post card (yup, an actual holiday-stylee post card) thanking me for dropping by.

I'm interested to hear what other people think of this dealership. Has anyone bought a car from them? More importantly, anyone used them for servicing?

Earlier this week, I'd been to Bell & Colvill and was impressed with the attitude of the service dude I saw. I was originally there to drive a Forester, but at his insistence we also took out two other Imprezas (including their blue/black STI Type UK). Overall - impressed, but concerned about reports on this BBS regarding their service department.

So, what's the verdict on the Crawley dealership?
Old 15 September 2002, 10:25 AM
ZETECH
Scooby Regular

I dont think they are authorised scoobie dealers at least their name is not on the dealers list
Old 15 September 2002, 11:20 AM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

They're listed on the Subaru website, under West Sussex. Listed just as 'Gatwick.' They're also Mitsubishi and Isuzu dealers (seems common amongst Scooby dealers).
Old 15 September 2002, 09:10 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

p/exed my MY95 to them (Gatwick) for my grandad's legacy (long story). Gave me a pretty poor price, but then that's my fault. Anyway, after a number of service 'incidents' the legacy is no longer serviced there and now visits Lancaster at Sevenoaks, from whom I brought my MY01. They are ok. I currently have my car serviced by Cheam Motors, cos they are pretty professional and give SIDC discount (no idea of sales service). I've had bad experiences of Bell and Colville (from whom I got the MY95) so personally, as you seem quite local I check out the Sevenoaks and Cheam. There is also Spring Park Motors in Croydon but I've had limited dealings with them (failed to return a call after I visited about an MY01).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Piers LoFi
Old 15 September 2002, 10:22 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I bought my Prodrive STi Type UK from the Gatwick Group this May. I had made contact with them back in December when I was contemplating either a used P1 or new STi. I met James then and he was always very helpful. He responded to all my emails promptly and called me when they got their first STi in and, even though it was already sold, he let me have a good look around it. Again when they got their demo he contacted me. I waited a while so it had done a few hundred miles and then had a good test drive in it.

Even though it took me 5 months to make my mind up, James never lost patience with me unlike a certain Kent-based salesman who never seemed to return my calls .

The STi was delivered a week ahead of schedule , and they had no problem with me asking for a sneak preview of it while they were doing the pdi. I'm very happy with the car and the standard of service I have received since then. Both James, and John, the service and parts manager have been very helpful.

You don't say in your message which salesman you met, but I would have no hesitation from dealing with James again.

At this stage the STi has only had its 1,000 mile service but I did take my MY97 turbo there a couple of times for routine services. Never had a problem and the work always seemed to be carried out ok and done on time. Was always offered a courtesy car, although these were sometimes quite amusing after the scoob.

Good luck with your potential purchase

Mark

Old 16 September 2002, 12:20 AM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, guys.

LoFi, what were the "service incidents" you had at the Gatwick Group? I'll check out Cheam Motors.

Mark, the sales guy I spoke to was Stephen Monico.

I had a Lexus until last year so tend to walk in to other car dealerships expecting the same level of service, which is probably unfair.

[Edited by AlexK - 9/16/2002 12:21:14 AM]
Old 16 September 2002, 05:40 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Alex, don't want to go into too many specific on here but it was the usual. Reported faults not followed up correctly, overcharging and very poor PDI. However, it seems like the sales side has improved judging by the view above. But as I said there are a number of Subaru dealers fairly locl and I'd give em all a go.

Piers LoFi
Old 18 September 2002, 07:54 PM
D3MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have had three services on my MY96 turbo at Gatwick, no complaints , agree with Markus re: the funny little courtesy car.

Dave.
Old 18 September 2002, 09:52 PM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

Now I'm curious... what exactly do they use as courtesy cars?
Old 19 September 2002, 07:32 PM
D3MAN
Scooby Regular

Dunno what it was, it was like one of them mini people carrier things that look to high and narrow for there own good.

Dave.