Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

BIG public thanks to TSL Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 09:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Just like to say a HUGE public thanks to Paul and Janice @ TSL for supplying the new downpipe and centre section for my car.

Did panic slightly when they hadn't arrive by 16:30hrs today, but after a few phone calls they was knock on the the front door 15mins later

Great service; just a shame I'm too far away to enjoy the tea and biscuits I've heard soo much about

Stefan
Old 14 June 2002, 09:48 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

TSL are never too far away I go there and I live in Southend

Phil
Old 14 June 2002, 10:54 PM
tinydelete
Scooby Regular

ditto i live in mayland
Old 15 June 2002, 11:00 AM
PING
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,

I've heard many good reports on TSL Exhaust products.

I'm changing the DP and wondered if you have any comment to make on the TSL vs SS DP ... or anyone else have any experiences?

Graham at TSL was very helpful and clearly very knowledgable when we spoke, but I'm down south, they're in Nottingham ... would the trip be worthwhile as opposed to going to Essex (SS) which is closer?

Cheers

Steve
Old 17 June 2002, 03:45 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I live near Watford and always find it worthwhile having the trip up to TSL. I have even heard of people travelling up from Devon!
Old 17 June 2002, 04:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Steve,

I haven't seen the SS systems in the flesh, though I've heard them on a few cars. They sound v.nice, but can't comment on how they perform against the TSL one.

I can post some pics of the TSL bits tonight, but they do look superb. There also slightly cheaper than the SS bits too; which is nice

I need to wait another week before I can get my DP fitted to the car, so I can't even comment on what difference de-catting has made.

To be honest, the difference between them is going to be marginal IMHO. I wouldn't have thought my car's highly tuned enough to notice the difference anyway. Perhaps you'd see a difference on someone like John Banks or AlanG's cars. The only real way would be to do back-to-back tests of the difference DP's on my car.

I've never been a great Magnex fan and read some previous posts

Since I live in sunny Scotland, taking the trip to get just an exhaust fitted seemed a bit OTT (700+ mile round trip) and an extra expense I didn't need; even if the tea and biscuits are highly rated.

I did contact Scoobysport, but they didn't have any in stock and I got the impression I was speaking to a salesman i.e. straight to the point and no small talk.

When I phoned TSL, I asked the same question - "can you give me some information on your exhaust system". Straight away I was put through to Graham who spent a good 15mins talking about their system and just giving general advice on what was best for my car. When I called back the next day to order the bits, I spoke with Paul who again was very helpful and seemed pleased to get my order.

Even when I phoned at 16:30 on Friday thinking my new exhaust wasn't going to arrive, they were straight on the case chasing the courier - thanks Janice. I wasn't even complaining, just checking that it was sent out OK and what time the courier would deliver up too.

Low and behold 15mins later the bits arrive at my door

It's the first time I've ever dealt with TSL or SS, but I was impressed how TSL dealt with me and that's why I gave them my business.

If you can make the trip, then go for it.

Stefan

P.S. If you can wait till next week I tell you exactly what it feels like and get the Dealers view on what the quality/fitting is like.
Old 19 June 2002, 11:48 AM
PING
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

Thank you for your comments.

I too feel that the physical product and performance differences are going to be negligable, unless you are in a seriously tuned vehicle - which mine is not.

I actually managed to pick up an SS 2.5'' DP yesterday for a very good price , so my decision has been made re the product ... If a TSL pipe had been avaiable, I would've gladly taken that as both are clearly good, strong, well designed products.

Chatting to Graeme at TSL certainly gave me confidence to discuss / purchase further upgraded bits & pieces (apparently my front disks will need to be changed in a few thousand miles , and I'm considering changing the front fog lights to Cibie's for a better full beam ) and I think the trip will be worthwhile, especially for the fabled Tea and Biscuits!

I'll let you know what I feel once the DP is on ... it'll be interesting to compare results!

Steve