Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Why no Dawes on a WRX???

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2002, 07:46 AM
juninho
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that you cant fit dawes devices on an import (95 WRX), why is this??
and is there something else that will do the job??

cheers

mark
Old 15 June 2002, 09:47 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Zuh? I've got one on my MY93 WRX. What most people including the Dr himself is that the boost cut is not far from the factory boost cut. And the fact tha our cars uses different fuel, different intercooler and injection size can limit what boost you have.....unless you're Katana.

I'm young, crazy and stupid. I used a fuel cut lifter to solve how much oost I've go andhave now set it to 18 psi. So far, I've found that my car is still okay (touch wood).
Old 15 June 2002, 09:55 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Marc

There is no reason other than a lower fuel cut that a Dawes wont work on a 95WRX.

Loads of people have them on, in fact the best person to speak to round here apart from me is Jonny Gav who has the same car as you and has added a cut out raiser etc.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
Old 15 June 2002, 10:20 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small intercooler, small injectors, big turbo and extra boost on a car mapped for 100RON. It can be done but I wouldn't and I am not saying that because I can offer you anything better I just think you are putting your engines at risk. If you know what you are doing and monitor things carefully then fine. For those who say it is fine I will listen when they tell me what their injector pulse widths, intake temperatures and knock correction are. Otherwise a few "it works fine for me" does not establish the likelihood of long term safety.

The car is mapped to taper boost up top because of turbo and intercooler efficiency. There is more advance in the map at this point, and more so again for 100 RON. At this point you could be really stressing your little injectors and one or more cylinders run lean. The ignition then retards and this in combination with poor intercooling leads to a higher EGTs which gets your turbo hotter still. There are multiple potential vicious cycle pathways to possible premature engine failure in this little cocktail.

I'm not saying it will happen, but to blindly fit a Dawes with a few simple monitoring devices to a car like this before timing, EGT, intake temp and injector duty cycle information is available, notwithstanding possible MAF sensor saturation is putting your engine at risk IMHO.

Fitting a Dawes under the fuel cut on MY99/00 is a different proposition entirely - it is well tested, the injectors are bigger, it corrects knock much better, runs safely on 95 RON, has a bigger intercooler and the airflow from the smaller turbo is not silly at high revs.
Old 15 June 2002, 11:14 AM
juninho
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys

mmmm, i think i'll tak john's advice and hang fire for now!!