Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

remove resonating pre filter in wing?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 02:30 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

I've got the bits to make a manometer, but haven't done so yet. I've blocked the hole between engine bay and inner wing so I'd actually expect to see a pressure drop going into the airbox (there's only the orange vent to suck air through).

However, I noticed a big difference to throttle response on both cars I've removed the resonator on. But I'm also concerned about water contamination.....just haven't seen any yet.

My main concern with doing the pressure drop testing is how to reliably seal the holes I must make when finished....without impairing airflow (book doesn't mention this, lol!).

Richard

[Edited by dowser - 7/1/2002 2:33:02 PM]
Old 07 February 2002, 02:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark what do you think of the nasty looking intake pipe between the airbox and the turbo?

Mark do you use the Subaru paper filter?

Jon the gains seem marginal anyway, so there are plenty of other things to crack on with. My plan is turbo/actuator/manifold/exhaust mods and see where we go from there. I think that will be enough to scare the gearbox.

[Edited by john banks - 7/2/2002 2:50:32 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 01:48 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Ive been told that there is an extra part of the standard induction kit that lives in the front wing and consisits of a small filter and a resonator. should I remove this unit?

I currently run an ITG panel filter, scoobysport decatted DP and Centre and TSL backbox and a Tek2...

Cheers, Jon.
Old 01 July 2002, 01:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I am still wondering about this. Previously tried an induction kit with no real gains (presumably it was just sucking hot air from the engine bay). With all the worries about MAF sensors I did not fiddle with the resonator. I did think one car was lean because of resonator removal, but it was the lambda sensor telling porkies.

Some people driving in the wet have noted that their MAF sensor has been affected and they ended up very lean indeed, which worries me.

Has anyone measured the pressure drops at various parts of the inlet tract? Theoretically at least, removing a part of a tuned intake could make things worse? Might be worth linking the airbox inlet to a forward facing cold air duct with a bell mouth?
Old 01 July 2002, 02:19 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if a cetrifugal water seperator isn't possible somehow?

Paul
Old 01 July 2002, 03:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Agreed, a problem.
Old 01 July 2002, 06:29 PM
EMS
Scooby Regular

Jon & John,

Keep the resonator in place! This one helps a little to protect the MAF. I use the std. air filter configuration in my 330 BHP Turbo (VF23) and I don´t think I can gain anything (perhaps very little) by replacing this by another air filter.

Mark.
Old 02 July 2002, 02:41 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Mark, sounds like youve been there, done that and your (and everyone else's) advice is much appreciated, think i'll keep it in place as dont want to ruin my MAF.

Interstingly if using something like a HKS induction kit then I guess this bit does nowt as the filter is just hung in the engine bay. But surely this isnt good cos it draws hot air wheras what we want is cold air...

I know people have added pipes to draw cold air up to the filter under slight pressure when driving but im guessing most people dont bother.

So Should I be looking to add a cold air pipe - its only a few quid and a bit of work - up to this first filter or is this a waste fo time?

Jon.
Old 02 July 2002, 03:10 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

On my MY94, I went for a 80mm bass port from Maplin for £3 along with a Green "Twister" air filter and 80mm ducting.

The 80mm ducting JUST fits through the hole in the wing for early cars - throttle response does seem better than with the previous Pipercross filter - and intake temps are 2-3 degrees C lower on average.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 02 July 2002, 10:25 PM
scobymars
Scooby Regular

What do you think of cuting the hose that go from resonator back to the engine compartement and fit on a 80mm hose to the bumper li ke this you get cold air with positive pressure but no water
Old 03 July 2002, 11:32 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Ok, sounds like my ideas on cheap performance arent going to do the bizz... :-)

Cheers for all your help guys, Jon.
Old 03 July 2002, 04:15 PM
tntsystems
Scooby Regular

if anything, run an ITG panel filter mate.... induction just doesnt work the same on turbo cars (my old saxo VTR used to sound wicked with induction and exhaust).... induction caused mine to cut out at around 5k rpm and POWERSTATIONS STI runs the standard airbox with only a replacement panel, and bangs well over 300bhp so i am told!!