Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

FMIC - Is it worth it??????

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 11:04 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am considering getting an APS FMIC and Cold Air Intake but am unsure of whether it is a worthwhile modification??????????

I curently have a STI 5 Type R with SS Downpipe, NUR Spec R System and K&N Panel filter.
I am due to get a Unichip fitted in the next month but was unsure whether doing the above mods would really be advantageous with my current state of tune , or whether they would really only be of benefit if going further with say WI, turbo , fuel pump and larger injectors.

I am unlikely to do the other mods so would appreciate some advise as whether the FMIC etc are worthwhile????????

Cheers
Old 16 July 2002, 12:45 AM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I have a 99uk with standard turbo and have had a Pace FMIC for about 7 months now...I think it was worth doing.

It allows me to run higher boost whilst keeping temps more constant, it also doesnt suffer (as it did), from radiated heat and heatsoak.

It really needs the 'bigger' turbo to take full advantage of the set-up....speak to John Banks, he knows an awful lot more than I.

UK99, Full de-cat (ss), Pipercross 'dry' filter, FMIC, HKS evc, running between 1.2 and 1.3 depending on the weather
Old 16 July 2002, 10:12 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speak to Mark Aigin about big turbos.
Old 16 July 2002, 10:28 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

As MD has said the FMIC really comes on song with high boost levels (above 1 bar or so) but it does offer a more consistant charge cooling effect when you are running for longer periods on boost, for example on track.

In most real world application we don't stay on boost for pronged periods so the only real advantage comes after a spell at low speeds or in traffic where the Top Mount suffers from heat soak and takes longer to recover than the front mount.

A stock Sti IHI turbo will cope with an FMIC, but it really is worth fitting a Hybrid, a stock uk TD04 turbo does not cope well with FMIC because it is such a small turbo it really struggles to flow enough air to fill the much large core and pipe work of a Front Mount...

In reality there isn't a huge power leap to be gained from fitting an FMIC, although it would seem so from most RR figures, this is mainly because on the roller they can usually get more air into an FMIC than they can into a top mount.

Oh and if your after an FMIC drop me a mail I know a good source for the HKS kit
Old 16 July 2002, 12:28 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

5 type R..
I am close to you so if you want to have a look and a chat about it drop me a mail and we can meet up!
Old 16 July 2002, 01:09 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

<disclaimer>
this is only what I've read from hear and remmbered
</discalimer>

1) Dont get a Unichip I've heard nothing but bad things about them on here.
2) I thought if you get a Turbo / FMIC you SHOULD reamap aswell to see any real benifit.

There are loads of chappies on here who like this sort of stuff watch the other Turbo / FMIC thread for some interesting developments