Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Blown Turbo on Type R

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 11:40 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After recently purchasing an Sti V4 Type R and being absolutely astounded by the car I have now hit rock bottom due to a blown turbo. At least I think it's blown. Haven't had time to get it properly checked out but the turbo is making an awful whining noise on spool up and there is no boost. Although I am not getting any blue smoke which I always thought went hand in hand with a blown turbo. Anyway being a new Scooby owner and not knowing much about them yet I have a few questions for you experts out there.

1) The car has only done 32000 miles which seems to be to be a little early for the turbo to go bang (if that is what has happened) What could be the main causes of this. I drive my car hard but never untill it is fully warmed up and I have been idling it when I return home. The previous owner also took the same precautions and it has been regularly serviced every 7500 miles so what could have cuased the failure?

2) Secondly does anyone know what kind of turbo unit my car has. It is an 1997-98 Sti V4 Type R. I think it is a IHI but could be mistaken. Is it a different turbo unit from a non Type R Subaru?

3) If as I suspect the turbo is blown, where can I obtain another unit without getting ripped of or alternatively get it reconditioned.

4) After some reading I have seen that there are possibly several types of turbo that would fit my Subaru. Any recoomendations on which one is the best.

I am not intending to do the swap myself as I am not mechanicaly minded enough. Will get the experts to do it. I would just like to know this information before taking it to a mechanic so I know whats going on.

Any answers would be much appreciated as my Type R is sitting looknig very sorry for itslef on my drive at the moment.

Cheers

Umit
Old 15 July 2002, 11:45 PM
telepacific
Scooby Newbie

hi
your turbo should be a vf24 ( i think) but it is defin a IHI
The version 3 type R got the Vf23
If you are goin change it get a VF23 as its a good compromise
the VF22 is slightly more powerful but not as durable
regards
Old 16 July 2002, 02:37 AM
kungfu
Scooby Regular

i have a v4 type-r, it says on the top of the turbo what it is, shold be a vf24, there are 5/6 different types to put on, vf22, vf23, vf24, vf28,vf29?
midland impreza will sort you out with one mate, mick is the guy to talk to, i think a turbo is about £180 from them, not too bad considering
Old 16 July 2002, 10:19 AM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be contacting Midlands Impreza shortly to try to get a replacement.

Does anyone have any clues as to what could have caused this? Like I say no smoke of any kind from the exhaust. Just no boost and an incredibly annoying whine coming from the turbo. I mean I presume it isn't common for Subaru Turbo units to go pop at 30000 miles!

My setup is;

1998 Sti IV Type R
Scoobysport full system
De-cat Downpipe
Blits Induction Kit

Any pointers would be very helpful as I wouldn't want my replacement to go bang too.
Old 16 July 2002, 10:21 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drop john banks or Mark (r19ket) an email before you buy a turbo...as they will be able to tell you where and where not to buy a turbo from.

Regards

David
Old 16 July 2002, 10:50 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if you know where to go (ie see david wallis' post) you can save yourself hundreds of pounds.

Off the shelf new turbos are around the 1000= mark inc vat.

You can get a decent checked and balanced second hand turbo for much less.

If you are getting zero boost, I suspect your turvo may not be gone.

Have a look at the link connecting the waste gate to the actuator and see if the e clip that keeps them attached is still there.

This is a rod that runs parallel to the turbo axis and can be seen from above.

They have been known to come off.

If it does your turbo will not be able to generate any boost as there is nothing keeping the wastegate shut, but it will still spin like mad.
Old 16 July 2002, 11:47 AM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Again thanks for the replies. Have e-mailed the guys you suggested so hopefully they'll be able to give me some helpful advice. I will check the link to the waste gate as suggested. Very slim chance that it could be that link as the re-circ dump valve isn't dumping or even hissing on spool up but I may just be clutching at straws. Judging by the very load buzzing\whining coming from around the turbo area when the turbo spins, I think I need a replacement. Still it is still worth checking. I may get my mechanic mate to check all the pipes/connections etc tonight. Like I said it may be clutching at straws but better than forking out for a replacement turbo. :-)