Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best fast road TURBO & FMIC package (STiV)

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 09:05 AM
Joules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All !!

I am wanting to up torque and power on my STiV as I seem to be keeping it for a while. I am wondering what the best Turbo and perhaps FMIC fast road combo is?? I don't want to loose much pick-up though!! I have around 300 lbs at 3400 rpm now....

Current mods -

GEMS ECU
BLITZ Induction kit
Group N exhaust & DP
STD TMIC
Old 16 July 2002, 10:17 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:10:15 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 10:18 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Joules, your going to want a hybrid turbo of some kind and a decent FMIC for safety more than anything else.

Porting the manifold would also help or ideally a full on replacement.

Re the torque, your 300lbft figure came from which rollers?

The Hybrid that I'm running spools up about as quickly as possible when you consider how well it flows at the top end as well. Peak torque (308) on my car comes in at about 4000 rpm, but it holds over 300 to 5500 and then tails off to 280 at the red line

I've listed a bit more on the spec of my car here: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=109828&Page=3

If you want to know sources for all these bits drop me a mail, I think the prices would please you
Old 16 July 2002, 10:45 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

if this sr40 you are talking about is a turbo, then it simply isnt possible for it to behave like standard and flow 450bhp.

It is always a give and take.

admittedly the newer blade designs can go some way to addressing the balance as can the more advanced cores with twin roller bearings, but there is no way it can spool up like a VF29 that he already has and go on to flow 450bhp.

I would recommend you speak with mark aigin about a big turbo application. You can pretty much choose what you want it to achieve in spool up and horsepower terms.

you define a 300lbft mark above 3000rpm, that should not be too hard to achieve at all.

You could even choose to bring it in lower, it just depends how far you want it to continue.

as for intercoolers.

i dont know where this aps is THE best comes from. It depends what you mean by best.

its always a compromise between pressure loss across the core and cooling effect.

Then there is build quality, price, appearance, ease of installation, amount of cutting required.

For reversability the pace is probably worth looking at, as you can return the car unaffected to standard, and get an uprated rad at the same time.

The aps has silcon pipework, which some like, but others (such as myself) dont.

The HKS has an enormouos core which looks great, but alos has unsightly pipework as standard, I do however much prefer the route it takes, and the volume of the core is one of the largest I have seen.

There is also the blitz to consider which looks very nice, plus models from apexi.

You could always go the route of david wallis and build your own.

Personally, I would stick to what we know works well, that includes MRT (expensive but bar and plate), cusco, hks and aps.
Old 16 July 2002, 10:57 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

II

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:11:00 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 11:52 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Jamie,

"The SR40 behaves like standard but is good for upto 450BHP aplications "

"There is obviously a fine line between a bigger turbo and slightly more lag, but the SR40 performs as if it were factory equipment"

I doubt even Dave at APS would expect the SR40 to spool up like a TD04. He has clearly stated otherwise, on i-club.

"there simply isn;t a better intercooler than the APS."

"The reason I say that the APS is the best FMIC is that APS have conducted the relevant tests and know it to be true in terms of charge temps, quality and value"

Hmmm, BOLD statement. I do think the APS core is very good, but there are certainly others available that are are just as good, and in some cases, better.

It also depends on the application. Ask APS what they are using on their own race car !!!!!!

I'd also like to see the results of the "APS" tests, to support the claim.

Mark.

Old 16 July 2002, 11:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

lol.

if you are referring to that graph they produce, then that is bollocks!

if you look at it more closely and with some thought, you will see their figures simply cannot be based on truth.

plus I cant believe a supplier with the choice of all the makes is foolish enough to believe the claims of the company who want you to buy products from them.

you need to either condcut your own tests or looks at some unbiased reporting.

and as for a fine line between lag and top end power, once again, I will say it again, it is nonsense.

You cannot flow more air (ie 450bhp) without having to push the extra air at the boost pressure you want.

you cant pump more without putting in a greater force to push the pump round. since the engine doesnt magically create more gas flow when you put a larger turbo on at the spool up point of the old turbo you get more lag.

the only way you can get a bigger turbo to spool up at the same point, is to push it harder at the same point. This can be done in several ways, but each requires more gas. ie antilag, nitrous or a larger capacity engine, mapping can also make some difference.

it is simple physics I am afraid, to flow more, you need to push more.

You can as I said, combat the losses and address some of the difference wtih better designed cores (which the aps isnt incidentally as it still has the IHI core), but these cannot solve the problem.

it simply isnt possible regardless of how much aps say it is, and regardless of how many you have on your car.
Old 16 July 2002, 11:56 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

I

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:11:30 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 12:11 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I hate to bring this up, Adam
but have noted that bob's temps from the aps front mount seem to be very good indeed, far better than the pace can manage.
From an thread a while back (this one)

Although obviously that was only in that particular application.

And... () isn't it true that a different turbine design can start the spool-up earlier? Although then I would also guess that it would be at the cost of efficiency higher up... Yet another compromise! Wheee!
Old 16 July 2002, 12:12 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

but aps isnt the only make you can sell so why not be objective?

please tell me you dont believe what aps says unquestionably?

I happen to think the aps front mount is excellent, but it would be damn stupid to unequivocally say it is THE best.

As for the turbos I simply do not believe the claims from their website for one second.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:17 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nom,

as I have said the aps is a great piece of kit.

i said that before you put your comment up.

I just objected to Jamie simply stating it was the best. There is practically no "best" product in any market. It is always subjective.

At the time of that post, I saw how well it performed and didnt doubt that, I was testing the pace on my car which I dont believe to be quite as good at charge cooling in high power applications but it has many other advantages over the aps.

if willing to cut your bumper I would go for the APS over the pace personally, but at the time, I wasnt. Now I have a carbon front bumper, i am, so I have bought the HKS, but only because the standard pipework is a better starting point for me, and it was taking ages for my APS (previously on order) to arrive.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:18 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

...and how much marketing IS believable? Umm, none
Except for maybe the ones about tampons. Wouldn't be able to check myself, but it doesn't seem too far fetched that they may make you want to rollerblade everywhere, does it?
Old 16 July 2002, 12:31 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

OO

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:12:32 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 12:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

are you really that blinkered?

based on factual evidence of what?

statistics can be made to show anything.

and what testing have you done?

surely for the benefit of the commuinty you can post the results of your own factual testing?

I assume you had a control intercooler and all the test were conducted on a a test rig under control conditions all at the same time.

I am sorry jamie, I may be young and stupid, but I am ot naive enough to believe that any test you are they have conducted is worth the paper it probably isnt even written on.

and working with a company does not enititle them to trust and respect. They want you to continue to buy from them, of course they will tell you what you and the customers want to hear.

Old 16 July 2002, 12:45 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

...I think that the APS stuff is excellent (from both what I have seen & what I have read about it from 'happy customers' - not marketing!).
But I also entirely agree with Adam that there's no 'only' solution to anything. Everything - however good - is always going to be a compromise somewhere, and what is chosen is just what is the best compromise for that individual in that one particular case.
There's more of a chance of everything working well together with one of these kits such as APS do, as presumably they are designed to work together. But to what design? The one that you want, or the one that the company producing it wants? Vast power at the top end, or good torque throughout? One is good for the company (big number to write down & advertise), but is typically not much good to the actual car owner.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:54 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Jamie,

"This isn't just a case of believing what APS tell me, it is based on factual information gathered by myself too, but why wouldn't I believe them anyway, we work closely together and at the end of the day the UK Subaru tuning scene are the ones who will reap the benefit."

PLEASE can you QUALIFY this statement.

Mark.

Old 16 July 2002, 01:07 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

Could you enlighten me on the testing you have done and under what conditions?

I did a fair bit of testing on road, rolling roads and track, so know pretty much exactly what these do at fairly high boost levels in a good variety of conditions.

Would be interested to see how your data compares.

Will also agree with Adam et al on the turbo issue. It physically cannot spool up as fast as a standard one and flow 450hp. Unless the HP they're quoting are pint sized ones
Edited to add the turbo comments

[Edited by CraigH - 7/16/2002 1:12:49 PM]
Old 16 July 2002, 01:07 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Jamie,

Re:
"Call me biased but I would take a look at the APS SR40 and FMIC.
The SR40 behaves like standard but is good for upto 450BHP aplications and there simply isn;t a better intercooler than the APS.
Jamie"

Well, that was a couple of sweeping statements made with no attempt at qualifying them.

a)You are obviously biased, no argument there!

b) A conventional technology turbocharger that flows 450bhp will not spool up like a standard TD04.

c) If there simply isn't a better intercooler than the APS, why doesn't Prodrive use them on the WRC car?

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 16 July 2002, 01:20 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

coor this is getting a bit nasty

as already stated 'BEST' is impostible to tag without lost of parameters... for me the BEST intercooler is one that costs 50p and takes 5mins to fit.

I'm sure a statment along the lines of 'For the money, there is no better one' is more likely to be accepted.

I've really replied to this so I can keep tabs on it in my VIP list
Old 16 July 2002, 01:20 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

B-

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:13:33 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 01:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Joules, how goes it? See you changed your username and email address when I was trying to contact you about your splitter recently.

I am going for an IHI hybrid that we discussed within the last week in Gen Technical - What turbos do the 320 people run etc. Still have my uprated TMIC for now, with a fuel pump upgrade. Not the best solution, just the one I think will suit me for now.

All the simple upgrades I did re ECU, breathing etc, seemed to give gains across the range. Now I have started with manifold and turbos I am starting to trade the bottom end for top end, and I don't see a reasonable budget way around this, but options could be increased displacement or use of sequential turbos. From the limited experience I have so far of Turbo Dynamics and their hybrid work I am very impressed - their TD04L lost a little compared to stock but did gain substantially higher up. Will see how the VF goes.

Jamie certainly carries a lot of product variety from several manufacturers and it must be difficult to keep up with it all. I have found him very pleasant to deal with. It is easy and expected to get very excited about products that you enjoy using, and I am as guilty as the next one.

It can be difficult working as a "trader" at times, and sometimes it feels like you are attacked from all sides with everyone seeming to want everything for nothing and debates on the BBS can get heated, especially if there are interests involved - some declared some undeclared. Usually it can also be tremendous fun.

Some people like a lot of technical information on what they are getting and like to be involved in all the decisions, others just want you to sort it for them and feel your quality comes through in your customer service.

It is also quite stimulating to have a customer base who on the whole are very informed about the products that are supplied to them. This can really keep you on your toes. I have this with my "day job" too. Keeps you sharp. It is also good to be told you are frankly wrong sometimes, and just because we sell Scooby bits does not mean we always have to be right or everyone agree with us.

Just my 2p.

Jamie I would be particularly interested in what the spool up of the APS SR turbos are in your experience rather than the published APS stuff - they have also been hotly debated on I-club. When for example does it reach 14.5 PSI/1 bar, and how much boost does it run comfortably over 6000 RPM? What engine management if at all are you using as this clearly affects things too? Any dyno results yet? This sort of information would certainly also interest the poster since he is technically very able indeed and will eat this sort of information and really appreciate it I am sure.
Old 16 July 2002, 01:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

jamie,

this was not a witch hunt.

the only one who has shown anything about themselves is you.

I have said time and time again the aps fmic is a great piece of kit. thta is one of your boxes which you shift which is an excellent idea.

I only picked up on the fact that you made a silly comment, and all you have done is shown yourself to be completely trusting of what people have told you without questionning it.

Where was I unfair with you at all?

i stated some facts.

1. turbo cannot spool up likle standard and flow 450bhp

2. aps cannot be considered the best as you dont state parameteres and it is subjective.

you made yourself look foolish by saying you believe what you are told, your words not mine.

You also persist in arguing with something that is proven and accepted as true. power comes at the expense of spool up, again making yourself look foolish by saying "aps said so, it must be true".

you have also said that you have done your own tests which many of us would like to see the results of, especially those looking for a fmic.

Please explain how this is a witchhunt. I cant tell others to post, they choose to post when they like, not when I tell them to.

nice to be considered a leader though was always mopre of a sheep than a shepherd (thankfully not a welsh sheep though )
Old 16 July 2002, 01:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I feel guilty now.

Joules,

any of the intercoolers mentioned in this thread will suit you well and will help tremendously. I would probably consider the aps or the hks depending on price and availablity.

turbo wise, a normal IHI hybrid of the standard ilk, or go for something trick.

Aim for a horsepower rating and stick with it and you can have a car which will drive well.

The BT270 or similar on tim ws car is a good choice. He gets a bar by 3000 rpm yet gets 342 at 1.25 with similar mods to you.

This turbo will also should be comfortable at much higher boost levels.

other options are the MD254 from BRDevelopments, which has similar characteristics.

I would be more inclined to go with a Turbo dynamics type IHI hybrid purely because of warranty and repair work.

It also give you the option that they can convert it into whatever you want relatively easily at a cost of course, should you change your goals at a later date and decide to go internal on the car!
Old 16 July 2002, 01:40 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ladies, ladies, settle down.

Old 16 July 2002, 01:40 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

*B

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:14:18 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 01:49 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I see, I am not a leader.

this is one of those rare one man witch hunts then!
fine!

"The SR40 behaves like standard but is good for upto 450BHP aplications "

"There is obviously a fine line between a bigger turbo and slightly more lag, but the SR40 performs as if it were factory equipment"

How about those for quotes?

Jamie, I dont need to ring because I dont have a problem with you, or what you do, I keep telling you this. I am a live and let live kinda person. I rarely get annoyed with people including now, and I am not in the business of selling bits for cars.

i like to help people with the benefit of what I have learned either through cars, or through my job, or my education.

whichever, this all started because you said the above quotes which simply are not true and are not possible. Not because you sell what you sell, or because I hold some kind of odd hatred for you.

i have never had dealings with you, nor have I ever met you, and in general I like people. So until you prove yourself to be worthing of dislike, I shall continue to have no problem with you whatsoever.
Old 16 July 2002, 02:02 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

jhglhjglhjglhjg

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 7/18/2002 10:15:32 AM]
Old 16 July 2002, 02:06 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

Jamie YHM about something different
Old 16 July 2002, 02:24 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Joules,

I went for the HKS for the large core (which ultimatley helps me achieve what I bought it for) and the pipe work...

Turbo wise... I am not a fan of any companies stock Big Turbo unit.... simply a universal application which wil achieve different results based on each car.

IMHO it is better to get a turbo spec'd up for what you want to achieve that way you wont be dissapointed. After all we are talking a £1,000+ MARK AIGIN is the only man IMHO to talk to regarding this subject. (I am very happy with my results so far, against what we decided on!)

This has been a great thread in my opinion very funny...
Mark Aigin (R19KET) and Adam M are some some of the most knowledgable people on this subject, on the board...
If anyone wants un-biased advice it is definatly worth talking to them as they are not commercial just insane enthusiasts!

Erm..... thinking about it, thats me too!
Old 16 July 2002, 02:29 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

What, knowledgeable?

Quick Reply: Best fast road TURBO & FMIC package (STiV)