Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MOTEC ecu

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2002, 01:40 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if im wrong but is the processor board in the motec ecu's generic to all cars and all that is changed is the wiring harness when changing around.

i.e. going from a motec that was in a scooby to putting it in a "cough" Evo all i have to change is the harness?

Cheers!

Chris

oh and obviously the map too - it would probaby be too conservative if it came out of a scooby! lol
Old 30 July 2002, 01:56 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Yes. The units themselves contain the same gubbins, it is just how you connect it to the car that is different.

So, yes, you should just need a loom adaptor should you move make/model of car.
Old 30 July 2002, 03:16 PM
C
Scooby Regular

right,

so i take it the software is non specific to any car as well then?

when you say its the wiring harness thats different I assume it just taps into the manufacturers loom?

Chris
Old 30 July 2002, 05:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Chris,

The software is the same regardless of the car. You can download it from the MoTeC site is Aus. to take a look.

Most popular cars have a "loom adaptor" available from MoTeC (if not, you can easily get them made). This gives you a MoTeC ECU plug one end, a load of wires in a short loom and then the make/model/year specific plug at the other.

I.e. you unplug your car loom from you boggo ECU. You then plug the loom adaptor into your cars loom and then plug the other end of the loom adaptor into the MoTeC ECU. Bob is your mothers brother. In most cases, you just do the reverse to return the car to standard (assuming you haven't made lots of other changes that the standard ECU wouldn't be able to handle).

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 July 2002, 07:37 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Hi Chris,

Having had my original MoTeC M48Pro and loom adaptor fitted and mapped at Powerstation I can thoroughly recommend that you talk to Bob Rawle of BRD about adapting and fitting one to an Evo.

Whoever you choose to sort it out, please insist that they do the job properly (possibly get this in writing, so it isn't just "forgotten") and do not butcher the cars electrical loom. The whole point of one of these loom adaptors is that it should allow you to drop the ECU into your car without making any alterations to the cars original loom. Any extra sensors and or switches should be wired in independently of the main loom. This way, you should be able to return the car to standard engine management instantly.

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 30 July 2002, 09:07 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Hi Moray,

Cheers for the info..

This is the one thing i am sceptical about the motec unit - apparently they need lots of additional sensors - i assume though that this gets wired (via seperate wiring) into the loom and can be removed if need be - ideally i would like something that uses the original loom like the 10 row link I had on my P1. it does sound like hard work tho (was never one for hard work)

I am aware that link do a 6 row for the evo but with what i plan to do I do not think it will cope in all honesty...

With regard to the installation & mapping I think i know someone who may help.. lots of begging required on my part tho... lol!

Chris
Old 30 July 2002, 09:30 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Motec should not need any additional sensors, it can be "Teed" into the Evo ecu loom with an adaptor (or the car can be run soley from the Motec although if that was the case I would suggest an M800 to be the better bet)), ok if you are going to really try and hoof it then a charge temp sensor is a must but, that apart, I don't think that is the case.

BRD are Motec dealers as well as Link.

Thanks for the mention Moray, appreciated.

cheers

Bob
Old 30 July 2002, 09:44 PM
C
Scooby Regular

bob,

Is the m800 the one that uses the original ecu housing? - & fed into the standard wiring loom?

I assume when u mean "hoof it" you are thinking along the lines of big power? (then yes you are correct)

would I not use some sort of guage in the dash to monitor this? - or does it work on a similar basis to a knock link retarding ignition etc etc to reduce the chances of it going pop?

Thanks

Chris
Old 30 July 2002, 09:46 PM
C
Scooby Regular

i assume the m800 can cope with getting to the antisocial side of 400bhp & similar torque figs?
Old 31 July 2002, 12:00 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Edited.

[Edited by IWatkins - 7/31/2002 12:04:05 AM]
Old 31 July 2002, 09:12 AM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M800 is available in two guises, OEM version which fits as a direct replacement into the factory ecu case and then the "normal" unit with all its option variety ... this needs an adaptor loom in addition.

The main difference is its outputs and inputs are specifically wired to suit the car. I know its available for the MY99-00 Subaru cars ... probably others as well.

Charge temp sensor is wired into the ecu and then compensation maps are used to reduce boost, increase fueling and retard timing according to how hot it is getting. You can also take an input from EGT sensor to do a similar thing if you want to although the M48Pro is a bit restricted on channels ... no problem for the M800 though.

Bob

[Edited by Bob Rawle - 7/31/2002 9:14:14 AM]

[Edited by Bob Rawle - 7/31/2002 9:17:07 AM]