Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

***Don't know which way to turn.......Please Help!!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 11:38 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

As most of you know my everyday car is a MY97 UK Turbo. I have had this occasional smoking problem for sometime now.

Before Tuesday the car had not smoked for 6 months, but i started it tuesday and it began smoking after about 5 mins of tickover. I have had the piston slap fixed and heads checked (this was a few months ago) by a main dealer and they said all was A1 on that front.

The finger is now being pointed at the turbo.......so what do i do, get the TD04 reconditioned or go for something else. I want a turbo that will just bolt on and be able to run approx 17.5 psi without ECU mods.

Help me........
Old 31 July 2002, 12:14 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Wink

sounds like the oil seal has gone in your turbo,if it was me in the same situation i would find a td05 and swap it for that.

had the same problem a few years back on my cossie,would go weeks without a bit of smoke then for about a week it would smoke then all would be well again,changed the turbo(for a bigger one) and it never did it again.
Old 31 July 2002, 12:20 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

If it's got to come off there's no point in leaving it std

Either get it rebuilt and hybridised(?), I think R19ket can help you there, or go for a front entry TD05.

Andrew...